Kentucky-Louisville
Options

It's Official!

I'm a November 2011 bride! I just called the venue (Discovery Lodge in Evansville, IN) and booked 11/5/11. I'll feel better once I have the contract in hand (they're mailing it to me), but they said they would put me down for that date.

At first I was disappointed because I was hoping for an October wedding, but then I realized we'd be getting married 5 years to the weekend of our first date and thought that was kind of cool! Plus it's only a few weeks after the original date I wanted. I wasn't sure at first because my birthday is the 14th, but FI birthday is ON Christmas, so we might as well lump as many family holidays together in two months as possible. :)

Re: It's Official!

• Options
    ZachandMereZachandMere member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Congrats!  I also wanted an October wedding, but it wasn't going to work with everyone's different schedules (I have one sister in college playing a Division I sport and another in grad school, not to mention my dad is a surgeon and his call schedule is set the year before).  So we settled for a December 18th date!  After thinking, I too realized that it was for the better.  My fiance's birthday is November 18th, so I figured he couldn't ever forget our wedding anniversary - simply 1 month after! 
  • Options
    Birdie1483Birdie1483 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My FI is also a big Cardinals fan so hopefully 1) they suck for the 2011 post season and 2) the World Series happens the week before. :) He half heartedly mentioned this possible situation when I was running dates by him. I know our wedding > baseball to us, but it could have been a stressful situation with his family had we had the wedding during a post season game! They're die hard Cardinals fans. Like don't say a word while the game is on or risk death type of fans! Hehe
  • Options
    inkygirlinkygirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Congrats!  Having the date made official is so nice!  I'm an October bride, but it really helps that we're having the ceremony and reception at a private venue.  Otherwise, I doubt that I would have been able to have an October wedding with only 6 months to plan. 
  • Options
    squirrlysquirrly member
    Name Dropper First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Congrats!  Most of the vendors we dealt with were willing to hold the date if signing the contract required mail/fax/whatnot.  I wouldn't stress about that part. 
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I just got the contract in the mail today and they had an 8/6 due date for the deposit. They had told me verbally on the phone that they would wait until the 14th or 21st if needed since I was out of town. However, I'm going to call and double check. Worst case scenario I can mail the contract to my mom and she can take it in with the deposit or I can make the trip this weekend.

My next adventure is finding a photographer. I've gone back and forth in my head about whether to bite the bullet and not skimp on the photographer or to find one for a better deal. Everyone says don't skimp on that part, but it's difficult figuring out what might make one photographer 1k more expensive than the other and if it's worth it. And what if I make the wrong decision and change my mind 6 months from now? :-P
  • Options
    ZachandMereZachandMere member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're using a friend of mine (Brad Luttrell - http://www.bradluttrell.com/index2.php).  I had thought the same thing over and over again, but am glad that he modified his schedule so that he could do our wedding.  I wanted somebody who wasn't phony and made us do weird poses with fake smiles.  We're actually meeting with him tonight to sign our contract!  Others of my friends had signed a contract and put down money on a photographer, only to be stood up or have the photog leave town a month before their wedding!  Something to keep in mind too is whether or not you will actually own the rights to your photos after the big day (this was majorly important to me too). 
  • Options
    FKSFKS
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Congrats Birdie! :)
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks FKS!

I've thought a lot about the rights to photos thing and I think I can't NOT do it. I"m actually considering going with this particular photographer and doing his a la carte of basic wedding day coverage and then buying the high res photos to make prints myself. I haven't decided if I'm just going to use a friend or get a professional photographer to do our engagement pics yet. I would like nice pics, but they're not as important to me as pics of the wedding day.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards