Honeymoon Discussions

Mexico Travels- bringing water?

So fi and I will be going to the Excellence resort in Playa Mujeres for our honeymoon, so excited! I've heard you are not supposed to drink the water in Mexico, should we be packing a case of water to bring with us? Not, to sound naive, but we don't travel much.

Thanks!

Re: Mexico Travels- bringing water?

• Can you imagine how heavy your suitcase is going to be if you pack a case of water? Why wouldnt you just buy bottle water there?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • It's only the tap water that you aren't supposed to drink, however, almost every large resort filters even the tap water, so you won't have anything to worry about.  If you still want bottled water though (which I do even if the water is safe, it just tastes better), you can easily purchase there...no need to pack any.
    Anniversary
  • I was exaggerating...obviously I would only pack a handful of bottles.
  • thanks for the advice!
  • Remember you can't bring liquids over 3 oz in carryon!  Just buy from the resort and save the risk of paying $$$ for having overweight bags!
  • Most of the higher end resorts have a separate filtration system that make the water safe to drink. However, the resorts usually provide free bottled water, so there is definitely no need to pack it.
  • We arre staying at the same resort in November.

They have a filtered water, so you should be okay. There is bottled water available in the room and throughout the resort, so if you are at all concerned, use those like a PP suggested.

No need to bring water..it's an all inclusive resort
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_mexico-travels-bringing-water?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:91968aae-3e2a-40cd-b6f4-8fd9b251a990Post:b9f5bc5c-fa19-4ab6-8a15-100725c78594">Mexico Travels- bringing water?</a>:
    [QUOTE]So fi and I will be going to the Excellence resort in Playa Mujeres for our honeymoon, so excited! I've heard you are not supposed to drink the water in Mexico, should we be packing a case of water to bring with us? Not, to sound naive, but we don't travel much. Thanks!
    Posted by Jayckers[/QUOTE]

all inclusives provide water for you. it's fine to drink or everyone would be sick all the time no? and the frosty drinks too.

• One tip we were told was not to get ice in your drinks, because while the water is filtered, the ice is often made from tap water and that is what can make people sick even if they're drinking bottled water. I'm not sure how accurate that is, but it's something to consider.

I didn't have any problems while I was at an all inclusive in Playa del Carmen.

• We saw what the regular 'tap' water looked like and trust me, you would know if you had tap water even if it was in Ice. It is like a dirty green/brown color and so gross looking. A lot of the bars and places in town would have bags of ice. We never ever had a problem with the ice or water down in Mexico. Our resort had bottles of water we carried around and we asked at a local bar about the ice and they laughed at us. I think the "Don't drink the water down in Mexico" was a thing of the past. They are a lot more modern now.

• Resorts have their own filtration systems and provide you with bottled water. There is no need to pack any water at all. There are also tons of water options at gas stations and stores. You should be safe to drink the water from the restaurants at your resorts, as well as with their ice. However, if you go to town do not drink the water or get ice. Also, be wary of fresh fruits & veg-- they wash them in the bad water and that is how many people get sick.
    Photobucket
  • We went to an AI in Cancun and they provided 1 Liter water bottles all day long - I mean, bottled water was everywhere
  • You can drink the american bottled water - every resort has it. Just do not drink the tap water - brush your teeth with bottled water too! Its hard, but better safe than sorry!

Besides how would you get bottled water on a plane! LOL
  • You can drink the american bottled water - every resort has it. Just do not drink the tap water - brush your teeth with bottled water too! Its hard, but better safe than sorry!

Besides how would you get bottled water on a plane! LOL
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards