New Jersey
Options

Sigh... My father lost his 2nd job today

Back in Nov, my dad lost his regular 9-5 job.... honestly he was asking for it- always late and took WAYYY too many sick days, but I think that was because he hated his job so much.  So anyway, that was bad but he had the job at the church to fall back on.  Today he found out that he is done at the church as of June 30.  I am so sick about this.  He worked at that church for 31 years but this priest has had it in for him from the beginning... says he makes too much money, isn't involved in "ministry" enough ect..... yes my dad has a temper and has been known to make people uncomfortable, but there were a few letters written to the pastor that were simply NOT TRUE or blatant exaggerations of things that went on.  I feel so back because this is how he identified himself and now what?  I am also nervous because depression and suicide runs in my family (my grandpa and great granpa both committed suicide). 

My dad is payig for the reception (which I feel so bad about in light of the situation) but he says that the money is still there for that.  He also is going to have to walk me down the aisle at a church that fired him...... and that puts such a damper on things.  To add to all this, the priest that fired him is doing our counseling (but not marrying us) and we have to meet with him tomorrow.... ugh!

Re: Sigh... My father lost his 2nd job today

• Options
    smw42smw42 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sorry to hear the bad news. Hang in there- just try to not attack the priest tomorrow! Good luck!
    Anniversary Photobucket
  • Options
    DMLJDMLJ member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm actually writing him a very respectful letter that I will hand to him tomorrow. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Will tomorrow be your last day of the counseling you'll be receiving from him?  If not, I'd hold off on giving him the letter until your last session (if it has anything to do with your father's job). 

I feel really bad for both you and your father, especially considering how long he has been with the church.  But, just remember that when one door closes a hundred others open and his termination may be a blessing in disguise.  I'm a firm believer that everything happens for a reason!  :-) 

Do your best to keep your father's spirits up and maybe help him look for another job just to keep him focused so that he doesn't get any negative thoughts in his head. 

Oh, and most importantly, don't let it weigh too heavily on you... if your dad sees you upset or suffering he'll just get more upset.  And besides, it's YOUR day coming up, so be happy, keep your head up, and know that your dad will be absolutely fine (especially because he'll soon be seeing his little girl marry the man of her dreams)!  :-) 
    image 182 Invited
    image 0 Are ready to party!
    image 0 Will be missing the fun
    image 0 Can't find the mailbox...

RSVP Deadline: June 15, 2011
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    hcer0708hcer0708 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sorry about your dad losing his job. Hang in there!
  • Options
    DMLJDMLJ member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Peaches--- Since I work for the church too, I try to seperate the Bride Diane from the Cantor Diane.  Like the said, the letter is extremely respectful so I don't think he will take any offence.  I need to do this now because his last day is June 30 and My wedding isn't until July--- I don't want it to be too little too late.

Thanks so much for your suggestions.  I agree that everything happens for a reason, but he has a very depressive mentality and does not share this view with me.  I hope things turn around soon because my grandma gets so scared when she sees him upset (thinking he will do the worst).
  • Options
    JulepheniaJulephenia member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh, Diane, that stinks. I'm sorry!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'll keep your family in my prayers... but everything will turn out fine... just keep your head up!  :-)
    image 182 Invited
    image 0 Are ready to party!
    image 0 Will be missing the fun
    image 0 Can't find the mailbox...

RSVP Deadline: June 15, 2011
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    leah2bleah2b member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm so sorry.  Try to be as supportive as possible with him. 
  • Options
    LolyalyssaLolyalyssa member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Diane-So sorry to hear this...best of luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards