Minnesota-Minneapolis and St. Paul

I'm a Godmother;)

I was asked on Thanksgiving to be my nephew's Godmother!  Here is the story of how they asked me, so cute!   We were at DH’s side and we always do the prayer circle before we eat. Everyone forms a circle hand-in-hand and one by one says what they are thankful for that season.  When it was SIL's turn she turned to me and stated that they would be honored for me to be Chaston's Godmother!!!  yeah I cried. ;)

The Baptism is in a few weeks, I am not too sure what I should get him. What have you given or think would be a cute idea for a gift??

imageimage

Congrats to my super sweet BFPB, veronicafvr, She's a SEP '11 momma

Married bio ? follow my boring blog Follow Me on Pinterest

Re: I'm a Godmother;)

• tpender13tpender13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I got my goddaughter, whose baptism was in October, a nice necklace w/a penguin that has interchangable jewels in it's belly, and a children's book about how God is everywhere. They weren't "traditional" baptism gifts if there even is such a thing, but they were personal. I love penguins, and she loves necklaces, so even though she's maybe a little young to enjoy something like that, she'll know that it's from Auntie Toni. I'm also not religious - her mom knows this and is OK w/it - so the book about God was nice because it was spiritual w/out being at all preachy.

When my nephew was baptised a couple years ago, I got him a toy. Maybe you could look at it the way some look at WP gifts - shop like it's their b-day or Xmas.

• hkieslinghkiesling member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That's great news!  You'll be a fantastic godmother.  I'm godmother to my two neices and I got them each a children's Bible (I think a Precious Moments one and a slightly more traditonal one).  My brother said they used to read them while rocking the babies to sleep.

One thing that my godmother did for me that I'm passing on to my nieces, is every year for Christmas I received a nice ornament (up until I was maybe 20).  I always looked forward to that present more than any other one.  There was something really special about putting up the tree every year and getting to pull out all those ornaments.  It's one of my favorite things to do each year.  Actually, I buy myself one special ornament year now to keep in going and one for each of my godchildren.
  • tpender13tpender13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Heather, that's an awesome idea! I had an aunt that did that for awhile w/me, and for some reason it never crossed my mind to start that for the kids in my life...
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

My godmother was fantastic.  She tried to get ornaments that represented what I was doing (a piano when I took lessons, a dancer when I took ballet, cowboy boots when I was into horses, a nativity scene when I was confirmed, etc).  It's a trip down memory lane whenever I put up the tree (which I just did today). 

I've found some really great ornaments at Nieman Marcus, and they weren't rediculously priced, either.  Maybe $15, but they're really, unique and special.  Pier One also has a line of hand-painted ones, or at least they have the last couple of years.  My older niece was really into caterpillars last year and I found a gorgeous blue butterfly all decked out with jewels at NM.  She loved it because it was a bug and hopefully it will remind her of that time in her life when she's 35 a decorating her own tree.

• threemarie24threemarie24 member
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks ladies! I am pretty dang excited and honored to be a Godmother. One thing that is hard is that my DH is his my Godson's brother's Godfather {did you follow that? :)} So I dont want to "over-gift" DH. UH Dh really isn't a gift-giver, and I am the opposite, I love giving gifts. I think a personalized Bible might be nice. 

I do like the Ornament idea, I'll think about that too!
    imageimage

First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Maybe DH should man-up.  :P 

In my family, we always receive a nice Bible with our name engraved in gold and a cross necklace for our confirmation.  Maybe a children's hymnal type book? Or a book teaching children how to pray?  Not really useful now, but something he can grow up with in the house.
  • threemarie24threemarie24 member
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yeah he kind of hates that side of me ;)  He reminds me that he was just fine showing up places with out having to bring anything, now that I am around I want to bring things so he thinks he is now out of his free ride. Gotta love him!

My SIL is quite religious, well all of DH's side is so I know they already have something like that, but I think something personalized would be nice. I could get him a bracelet? a little baby one so he could wear it now. Oh that could be cute.
    imageimage

• edited December 2011
    Congratulations!  That is so sweet.

When I became a Godmother two years ago, I put a deposit in his 529 college savings fund.  I do the same thing each year at his birthday.
    BFP #3 July 2012 = EDD 4/1/2013
    BFP #2 May 2012 = loss at 4w3d
    BFP #1 January 2003 = 9 year old son

imageimage
    ? My BFP Chart
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Congratulations!  I don't have any ideas since I'm anti-religious, but just wanted to say congrats.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards