Getting in Shape
Options

Anyone else trying to lose with joint pain?

I'm only 30 but sometimes I feel like I'm 80 trying to exercise.  I've had left hip bursitis in the past and in the last year it hasn't been bothersome.  I lost my job and have gained some weight so I don't know if it's the extra pounds that is causing my hip to flare up again or something else.  But it's almost daily and it makes me wonder if I won't end up having to have a hip replacement in the distant future.

I also hit my left leg on our cedar chest at the end of the bed a few night ago.  I now have a LARGE bruise and softball size lump on my thigh and wonder if that didn't jolt my hip somehow.

Anyway anyone else dealing with pain or issues that prohibit them from exercising to their fullest.  The pain gets so bad sometimes that its hard to even walk for exercise.
Anniversary

Re: Anyone else trying to lose with joint pain?

• Options
    Yes, I injured my knee while working out two years ago. I've seen two orthopaedic surgeons (which had me do MRI's, CT Scans, X-rays, etc) and they can't see anything on the films. I've also had two rounds of therapy. The second therapist thinks I have a torn meniscus and that occasionally they do not show up on on the films. I had great insurance...surgeries covered at 100% and got 12 PT sessions, until this past January. Now, I have to pay a lot more and I can't afford it, especially with the wedding, nor do I want to risk still being on crutches at the wedding, so I just deal with it. But YOU sound like you should see a doctor. Those are symptoms for some very serious conditions (big bruises, lumps, or bruises that won't go away). Just go get checked out...
  • Options
    Actually the bruises are because I'm on Aspirin for my migraines.  Not to mention I get bruises easily anyway.  And the lump is because of how hard I hit my leg.  I'm a nurse as well so I've been watching the signs for something really serious.

I too have been to a therapist for my bursitis but I lost my job several months ago and do not have insurance now so I can't afford therapy anymore.  I've been keeping up with the exercises that my therapist gave me to do at home while I was taking therapy, but it probably is time to go back to the doctor.

I just hate going to the doctors, even though I am a nurse and used to work for one lol.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_anyone-else-trying-lose-joint-pain?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:f9655d64-5742-4139-803f-f22bba262a25Post:13915491-7207-49b6-994c-82d17e959e28">Re: Anyone else trying to lose with joint pain?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yes, I injured my knee while working out two years ago. I've seen two orthopaedic surgeons (which had me do MRI's, CT Scans, X-rays, etc) and they can't see anything on the films. I've also had two rounds of therapy. The second therapist thinks I have a torn meniscus and that occasionally they do not show up on on the films. I had great insurance...surgeries covered at 100% and got 12 PT sessions, until this past January. Now, I have to pay a lot more and I can't afford it, especially with the wedding, nor do I want to risk still being on crutches at the wedding, so I just deal with it. <strong>But YOU sound like you should see a doctor. Those are symptoms for some very serious conditions (big bruises, lumps, or bruises that won't go away). Just go get checked out...</strong>
    Posted by MrsChasey[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I agree a doctor sounds like a good idea. But you are not alone in the working out with joint pain. I have been fighting with joint pain since I set my weight loss goals, and thanks to previous injuries the joints are a problem most days, and when I talked to my doctor about it especially my knees that I had one shattered when I was 13 and the other is off kilter a little bit most days do to sweelling he recommeneded after any work out put a cool cloth on the most troublesom joints while elevating it and after about 3 minutes of cool out a hot cloth on and it helps a bit you may want to try it ^^

</div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_anyone-else-trying-lose-joint-pain?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:f9655d64-5742-4139-803f-f22bba262a25Post:21298e5b-81af-4d37-a3d9-2158d6e420b3">Anyone else trying to lose with joint pain?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm only 30 but sometimes I feel like I'm 80 trying to exercise.  I've had left hip bursitis in the past and in the last year it hasn't been bothersome.  I lost my job and have gained some weight so I don't know if it's the extra pounds that is causing my hip to flare up again or something else.  But it's almost daily and it makes me wonder if I won't end up having to have a hip replacement in the distant future. I also hit my left leg on our cedar chest at the end of the bed a few night ago.  I now have a LARGE bruise and softball size lump on my thigh and wonder if that didn't jolt my hip somehow. Anyway anyone else dealing with pain or issues that prohibit them from exercising to their fullest.  The pain gets so bad sometimes that its hard to even walk for exercise.
    Posted by Mandalynn9112[/QUOTE]

<div>I used to be a work-out-a-holic.  I ran almost everyday and then one day I felt a pain down the side of my leg - it was sciatica.  I started seeing a chiropractor and the pain went away, but my fear of it returning prevented me from going back to my old routine.  Now, 3 years (and 30 pounds heavier) I am having pain in my lower back.  I've started seeing a chiropractor and he assures me that it's just muscle pain and it can be corrected within a couple of weeks.  I'm hoping to start up my work-out regimine soon so that I can get to my goal weight by my wedding.</div><div>
    </div><div>My suggestion to you is to see a doctor just to make sure it isn't anything serious.</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker ">
  • Options
    switch to things that are easy on the joints --- swimming is probably one of the best.  Biking might work well too.

i've been a gymnast for about 15 years, so I hear you when you say your body is fighting back! My hip has been hating me this week, so I switched to more yoga/stretching type stuff to give it a chance to calm down for awhile. =)
  • Options
    Swimming will have to wait a few weeks unfortunately but I agree that will help a lot with my joints.  I was thinking about maybe taking a yoga class somewhere.  We do have a YMCA close by where all classes are free if you are a member.  I think I'm just going to start with swimming first though and see if that doesn't help.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I also have bursitis, in both my hips. They flare up when i work out so i try to ice after my workouts and that tends to help, Also try tylonol arthritis. That tends to help a lot!
  • Options
    Nicoleh having bursitis in one hip is bad enough I don't know what I'd do if it was in both hips!  I take ibuprofen to help but sometimes its hit and miss.  Heating packs help a lot to ease the pain or else a hot bath.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Absolutely! I feel your pain. I'm so sorry. It's so FRUSTRATING! I'm only 22, but I have rotated hips..which threw my spine out of wack, so now it's shaped like a backwards C and is applying agonizing pressure to my sciatic nerve. The chiropractor told me that I can't do anything that may compact it, i.e. running. I also have a torn meniscus in my left knee, sooooo that means that squats and lunges are out because my knee likes to turn black and blue and swell up enough to inhibit daily activity. :(
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    My hip affects my knee as well.  A lot of times it feels like my knee is swollen even though it isn't.  It's hard to explain but it almost feels like there is a bunch of cotton stuck in my knee joint.  Then when I complain about my leg pain FI is like "Wow you have a lot of problems"  He's 9 years older than me and pain free.  I think he thinks I just like to complain but if you don't have pain or the issues than you can't understand.

I used to be pain free until I turned 28 and then my body just went downhill.  I now deal with weekly migraines that get worse this time of year and then my hip.  I know I shouldn't have these issues at 30, but honestly what can you do?
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I'm so glad I'm not the only one dealing with this problem, though I hate that any of us are. Between the bone graft in my ankle, the meniscus I tore 4 years ago and an extra vertebra that causes my back to randomly give out, exercising is like a crap shoot: will I get injured this time or not? I definitely feel your pain (though in other places) and I'm hoping that swimming will alleviate some of this. And Mandalynn9112, you're soooo right; people that don't have the pain don't understand what we're going through.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards