Military Brides

BM's colors to dress blues?

Ok, I will write this on here too!

My fiance is a Lance Corporal in the Marine Corps. 3 of 4 of his groomsmen are wearing their dress blues, as is my fiance. Along with all of that, my uncle, who is walking me down the aisle, is going to wear his dress blues too.

My soon to be mom-in-law said my bridesmaids HAVE to match my Marine men. I said ah, no...I want them to wear olive/ivory as I have always wanted. She said I was in the wrong, and they should wear blue or red. So who is right? What should my BM's wear??
Thanks!

--Megan

Re: BM's colors to dress blues?

• Cass987Cass987 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    While I admit that it would look more striking to have a coordinating color, in the end, it's really up to you.

I'm not sure what your colors are, but if I were in that situation, I would find dresses that looked good on the BM and was at least 'mentioned' in the uniforms since so many are going to be wearing the uniforms. For instance - perhaps a gold color to match buttons or yellow to match the stripes.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

My Ceremony Location - Scottish Castle

,p> save the date
  • kaynix21kaynix21 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    They wear whatever color you want them to wear. There is no rule saying they have to wear a matching color.

Since we're getting married 4th of July weekend, I decided I wanted mine to wear red. However, the red of my BMs is a very dark red, whereas the red on FIs bloodstripe is a brighter harsher red. But that's the color I wanted and I don't care if it matches or not.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    My brides maids will be wearing a champagne color, I like the contrast of the AF blue my fiance and groomsmen will be wearing with that color. I'm not a huge red person so I didn't want to have that as a main color but i know it would coordinate really well.
  • edited December 2011
    Any color will look with the blues, even olive/ivory. Have them wear what you/they want.

BFP 02/2010 m/c 03/17/2010 dx PCOS 04/2010
    BFP 08/13/2011 CP 08/15/2011
    BFP 09/16/2011 EDD 05/20/2012
    Claire Elizabeth, born 5/30 via a med free birth Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • kyrgyzstankyrgyzstan member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Since he's a Lance, he doesn't even have a blood stripe yet. The red on his uniform is negligible. Does she want them in black like their blouses? Doesn't she KNOW what wearing black to a wedding MEANS?!

In short, dress them how you (and they) want. Everything matches those bad boys and nothing does.

ETA: I was, clearly I thought, kidding about the black.
    I hate Dave Ramsey
  • aankac12aankac12 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Do what you want...you want your wedding to be what you like.
  • hh581842hh581842 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think the whole black to a wedding faux pas is pretty much gone.  Many many people wear black to weddings, and TONS of brides choose black as one of their colors and dress the BMs in that.  Soooooo i say not important.

That being said, I agree 100% with Cass.  Coordinating the colors would look better overall, but you should do what you want to. I think the non-matching thing would bug me in photos a little bit, but if it won't bug u then do whatever u want! 

I also really like her idea of gold (or champagne...with Gold shoes!!!!!) to match the buttons and compliment the uniforms.  but i also love the color gold so...i'm partial....
  • edited December 2011

If you care about the symmetry and coordination of the colors, then go with a blue or red.  But if that doens't matter to you, and you would rather go with the olive and ivory, then do it.  It's your wedding and you should have it look just the way you want.

"This is the most extraordinary thing about motherhood - finding a piece of yourself separate and apart that all the same you could not live without." ? Jodi Picoult Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • TallyncTallync member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My bridesmaid will be in aqua/turquoise.  A girl I work with, her wedding a week before mine and she's having her girls in purple.  It is a matter of taste and preference and nothing more.  I've seen every shade under the sun used here in the camp lejeune area.
  • megmoore85megmoore85 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    O wow, thank you everyone!! I just want everything and everyone to look good...at least my olive/ivory colors won't look harsh with their dress blues. His brother has the blood stripe and his other GM has many a detail to his dress blues. They are all going to look handsome!!  : )

Thanks again!
  • megmoore85megmoore85 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would love to get married at Camp Lejeune...maybe that is a possibility!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards