October 2013 Weddings

Cupcake Etiquette

I love cupcakes...and I want to have them at my wedding in lieu of a traditional wedding cake.  I knew from the moment I went to my FH's friends wedding when we got to experience a cupcake bar that this is what I wanted.  I however, do not want the cupcake "bar" - I just would like cupcakes.

With that being said - I have a friend who is a pastry chef who I would love to ask to make the cupcakes...however, I have some reservations which have held me back from asking and secondly, I'm not quite sure how to ask.

Reservations:
1) When I ask, I don't want her to feel pressured into making the cupcakes. I'm afraid that by me asking she will feel obligated and that is the LAST thing that I want to happen. I want her to enjoy the day as much as I plan to enjoy it and I don't want the cupcakes stressing her out.  Keep in mind the wedding is in South Jersey and she lives in NYC so it is about a 2.5 hour drive)
2) Compensation - How would I offer to compensate her and what if her price comes back higher than my budget?!

Any thoughts, suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance!

Katie
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Cupcake Etiquette

• I don't know the true etiquette response but personally, I wouldn't ask a guest of mine to perform a huge role in my wedding that is normally a hired service.  If I simply want their company and for them to enjoy their time then I don't want them working or stressing.  

If you really want HER cupcakes and no one else's will work for you, then I would simply ask her for her pricing information because you would like to consider her as a baker.  That leaves the ball in her court to say how she feels about being hired for the event.  

Again, I don't know the rules on this so you can also try the "etiquette" board.  Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
    S'mores. Just S'mores please.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_october-2013-weddings_cupcake-etiquette?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:1925524f-fa8b-432f-a7b5-be486ce756efDiscussion:0817d251-4be5-4a2c-bbd9-61e2e0607e28Post:a4ea9c8c-ff15-4876-96c5-77db2de098d8">Re: Cupcake Etiquette</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't know the true etiquette response but personally, I wouldn't ask a guest of mine to perform a huge role in my wedding that is normally a hired service.  If I simply want their company and for them to enjoy their time then I don't want them working or stressing.   If you really want HER cupcakes and no one else's will work for you, then I would simply ask her for her pricing information because you would like to consider her as a baker.  That leaves the ball in her court to say how she feels about being hired for the event.   Again, I don't know the rules on this so you can also try the "etiquette" board.  Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
    Posted by 09McSteph03[/QUOTE]
    Thank you! You make a very valid point :).
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I get what McSteph is saying, but I don't know if that applies in every circumstance.  I think if she offers to make the cupcakes as her gift to you, that is awesome!  FI has a cousin who owns a deejaying company who said, right after we got engaged, that they wanted to deejay our wedding for free as our gift.  We were thrilled!  And I certainly don't feel like I asked them to work my wedding.  

Come to think of it - maybe that's the difference.  We didn't ask.  They offered.  

• Ok just a story to think about, and this would be the extreme.  FI's parents, one of FI's dad's friends was dating a baker and they were really close with FI so they offered to make the cake for the wedding, awesome gift what not, well a week before the wedding the couple broke up, and the guy tried to make the cake and it was a pink frosted cardboard volcano thing.  The girl was the actual baker not the guy who was friends with FI's dad.  It's a family joke what not now, but just something to think about not to freak you out.  Friends of my mom have offered to make cookies for our dessert hour and what not and that's really awesome of them and we appreciate it, but if they don't we will have enough back ups just in case.  However as a point of reference I suck at relying on people in general.
  • libby18bell - YIKES! That is awful.

Thanks for your feedback.  You all helped me make a decision I've been going back and forth on for a few months - in a few minutes!

I want her to enjoy the day as a guest - not hired help. I will plan on going with a local baker :).

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_october-2013-weddings_cupcake-etiquette?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:1925524f-fa8b-432f-a7b5-be486ce756efDiscussion:0817d251-4be5-4a2c-bbd9-61e2e0607e28Post:fe93c70b-cc6e-4983-9d9c-24a1fd3d6f0b">Re: Cupcake Etiquette</a>:
    [QUOTE]Come to think of it - maybe that's the difference.  We didn't ask.  They offered.  
    Posted by Rochelle041[/QUOTE]

<div>I gotta agree - that's the difference and it's a distinct one.  Anyone offering to help me put together the wedding I would be thrilled with and would help to accomplish all tasks so that they could not only do the job but enjoy being a guest as well.  You are one lucky gal to have people want to contribute in such a meaningful way!</div>
    S'mores. Just S'mores please.
  • You could also have your friend make you a larger "cutting cupcake" for you and your husband, and have a local baker do the cupcakes for everyone else.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards