Louisiana-New Orleans

Long--Reception Venue Reviews & Plea for Help

I'm an OOT bride that used to live in NOLA.  Planning for Aug 2011, ceremony will be at St. Louis Cathedral at 7pm, we'll secondline to a reception venue, still TBD (ugh!). Maybe you guys can help suggest a place I havent yet looked at, or talk some sense into me!

Details: August 20, 125 people, 4 hours preferred, seated served dinner preferred, must be in French Q, prefer a minimum less than 10k (want to spend 10-12k after tax and grat)

Here's what I looked at, hopefully my notes might help some of you!

Riverview Room at Jax Brewery: They have a minimum guest count of 200 or 225 for a Saturday night. Also, I didn't like the low cielings--it felt like a hotel conference room, not very charming. Great views though.

Pat O's on the River: I really want to do our rehearsal dinner at Pat O's on Bourbon, so I didn't give this one much thought.

Galvez: great view, but I was uncomfortable trusting the owners.  The dining room and bathroom were a little tacky

Antoines: amazing food, but pricey (and no fixed price bar), and for 125 guests, they would give you the Japanese room, which is just not NOLA

Broussards: the catering manager is a bit nuts, but I loved the courtyard...wouldnt work for August though.

Arnauds: Also pricey and no fixed price bar option. I thought the big ballroom was ugly with green walls and either a linolyum or tile floor.I liked the other rooms but they max out at about 80 people.

Muriels: LOVED the place, but the minimum is 12k before tax and grat, and thats if you forgo the tiny side room. If you want the whole upstairs, the min is 18k. Also concerned about people staying  spread out--the rooms are each very separate.

Bourbon Orleans: great space for cocktails and the ballroom area is gorgeous and pretty free of stranger traffic. 10k min before tax and grat.

Cabildo: amazing space. $3k fee and an extra $1,200 "service" charge. Would need a lot of decorating and managing many many vendors but the look would be highly customized. To decorate and rent and do catering and open bar, we were looking at a total of $17k

St. Louis Hotel: This is currently my front runner. The courtyard is gorgeous and they have a 4 hr seated dinner and open bar package at $65-75 per person. 6k minimum. BUT for a group of 125 for a seated dinner, you would also need the dining room which adds 4k to the minimum.

Wax Museum: No minimum. They provide bar (around 15-20$ person) and you bring in your own catering. Highly customizable but the lobby is very tacky. I was also underwhelmed by the shopfront and the actual wax museum part.

Napoleon House: Considered for rehearsal dinner.  $48 for standing reception and open bar for 3 hrs. A bit shabby, but great location and great history.

My top choices: Cabildo (around 17k), Bourbon Orleans (13k) and St. Louis Hotel (13k). I'm leaning toward St. Louis Hotel.

Should I just let go of the seated dinner? Most guests are from out of town, I want to spend a "moment" with them over dinner. I had this vision of doing a few very long tables and really being able to slow down and savor the day, if only for a minute. I'm afraid guests won't get the standing reception, and that the night will go by too fast.

Or, do I have to bite the bullet and do a 10k min? It just seems a bit high for 125 guests.

We have guests coming from all over the world and we want a fun, classy but not stuffy NOLA place--I couldn't do a traditional hotel like Marriot.

Re: Long--Reception Venue Reviews & Plea for Help

• LGJ713LGJ713 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What about Latrobe's?  Its in the FQ, you get the new orleans feel and can still have a seated dinner.  I dont know what the minimum price to rent the place is.
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for your reply. I LOVE Latrobes but they have an 18k minimum.
  • Chelsey504Chelsey504 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi Denise, 

My FI and I are originally from NO and also planning a wedding from OOT (Chicago). We decided early on to forgo a seated dinner in favor of a traditional NOLA style buffet/cocktail reception. Our ceremony and reception are going to be at the St Louis Hotel. After looking at a few options, I thought it had the most NOLA charm for the price. And I really wanted something indoor/outdoor and the courtyard was perfect for that. 

All the weddings I've been to w/ a seated dinner.... the dinner is always my least favorite part. As bride and groom perhaps it gives you time to "visit" each table and formally say hello to every guest.... but as a guest, you are "stuck" at your table and basically lose an hour when you could be socializing and dancing. 

If you're going to have a 4 hour reception, I think that is plenty enough time to say hello to 125 guests. If you're concerned about making sure you see every single person, you could do a receiving line - which is also pretty traditional in NO. 

I wouldn't really worry too much about what the guests "expect." Any party in NO is bound to be a good time. = )

I'm sure other girls on here have lots of opinions on this, but that's just my two cents. 
  • Kate504Kate504 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I went to a wedding this weekend were all it was was a sit down dinner and it was boring. I just thought that the sit down dinner was lacking something, but they didn't have people serving us, it was a buffet and bad food and no music or booze. Well the room that we were in was really big and there were lots of people.

I just prefer to be able to feel like I can get up and walk around. They didn't have assigned seating and I still felt like it was rude of me to get out of my seat.

I think 4 hours is plenty of time to visit with people.

I'm having my wedding at the Wax Museum. I'm not keeping the museum part open for walk through and going to decorate that copper table out front. We are going to do a second line from the church (St. Jude) to there and greet the guests in the lobby after the second line as they enter. We are having a lot of OOT guests so the location is perfect and i don't want to have to worry about giving directions to everyone.
    BFP #1 6/18/2012 // EDD 2/28/2013 // Birthdate 2/7/2013

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• edited December 2011
    Have you looked into The Foundry?  I haven't been to a wedding there, but I've heard great things about it on these wedding boards and from friends who've been to events there. 

• edited December 2011
    To Kate504-- I am also getting married at St Jude! It is such a charming church!! I was really excited when I saw the wax museum because it is so close!I am from BR, but my FI is from NYC, his people are coming down and he wants to spread things out so they can see "more than just one corner of the FQ"...He really wants Pat Os on the River...but Im like --keep it walking distance!! Just so much easier...Did yall consider Pat Os , im just curious?

Also, who are you using for caterer at Wax?

thanks!
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_louisiana-new-orleans_long-reception-venue-reviews-plea?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:84Discussion:d1d5d7fd-0c6d-4471-ac37-c2ec5c18e1baPost:38022a48-e64c-4c52-b235-476cdc722bf2">Re: Long--Reception Venue Reviews & Plea for Help</a>:
    [QUOTE]Have you looked into The Foundry?  I haven't been to a wedding there, but I've heard great things about it on these wedding boards and from friends who've been to events there. 
    Posted by NOLAbridealmost[/QUOTE]

The minimum at The Foundry is $10k. While I've never been to an event there, I did get to go to Bella Lunawhen it was still open. It was the best meal I've ever had - EVER.
    I'm trying to get my sister on board, but she wants a VERY, VERY small wedding. No fun!
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for your responses!

Foundry is in Warehouse District, a bit too far for us to secondline to it.

I've heard great things about it though...just wish it was a bit closer!
  • hollybee92hollybee92 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    #1 I would consider Oceana - we are having our RD there and it is BEAUTIFUL upstairs with GREAT food!

We are having 100 people at St. Louis for around $6,500 (even though when I booked it was $5,000 minimum). I would not negociate getting married anywhere but the St. Louis (fell in love with it years ago) but if I would have known about Oceana's dining rooms I would have booked there in a heartbeat. Our RD is so cheap and so nice! We are also having all buffets...
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks Holly! Oceana is new, I've never been/seen/heard of it.  The rooms upstairs do look great! Is the food casual only? Whats the pricing like per person? Minimimums?

Might be a great option for us for RD or reception. We'll check it out!
  • Kate504Kate504 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_louisiana-new-orleans_long-reception-venue-reviews-plea?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:84Discussion:d1d5d7fd-0c6d-4471-ac37-c2ec5c18e1baPost:9cca3845-8b60-4a18-9864-0a6ebce353da">Re: Long--Reception Venue Reviews & Plea for Help</a>:
    [QUOTE]To Kate504-- I am also getting married at St Jude! It is such a charming church!! I was really excited when I saw the wax museum because it is so close!I am from BR, but my FI is from NYC, his people are coming down and he wants to spread things out so they can see "more than just one corner of the FQ"...He really wants Pat Os on the River...but Im like --keep it walking distance!! Just so much easier...Did yall consider Pat Os , im just curious? Also, who are you using for caterer at Wax? thanks!
    Posted by kellynelson123[/QUOTE]

We haven't set the caterer up yet, but we were going to try and contact one of their recommended ones. I'm in school so i'm working with a tight scedule to do everything. My date isn't until 1/14/12 so i have a while. We are thinking of trying Benedict's and contacting them in a few weeks. Has anyone had any experience with them?

I plan of having the rehearsal somewhere in the FQ so they will be able to see the quarter that way and most of our guests have been here before. Here is a tip though, my cousin had her wedding ceremony at a church in River Ridge and then the reception was in the FQ, my Aunt said that they missed the first 30 minutes due to travel and parking. Even when i got there people were eating and stuff, and i was in the wedding. So just the logistics of moving everyone is a hastle even the few square blocks that the FQ is because of parking. I only wanted the guests to have to pay to park once as well.
    BFP #1 6/18/2012 // EDD 2/28/2013 // Birthdate 2/7/2013

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• edited December 2011
    Have you looked at Le Pavillon??  $10k minimum and AMAZING decor, food, ballroom, service.  We added half an hour (came to $17k total incl tax) for a 3.5 hr reception with stations and full up-graded open bar for 110 guests.

I am also OOT (Boston) almost 100% of our guests were also OOT.  I used to live in New Orleans (went to Tulane).  Our wedding was this past July, also at St Louis Cathedral (3pm).  Le Pavillon is a bit far from the cathedral, so we provided transportation from Le Pavillon (where most almost 100% of guests stayed for an amazing room block price) to the cathedral and then we second-lined to Pat O's for our after-party. 

I was totally torn about foregoing the sit-down dinner, but everything was absolutely perfect and our guests are still raving about our wedding!  No joke, numerous guests continue to tell us that ours was quote "the best (and most fun) wedding they had ever been to!"

Let me know if you have any questions (my email is kristyn dot ulrich @gmail.com.)
  • eamcardleeamcardle member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I had our reception at the Wax Museum, too. Seated dinner for 140 guests, plenty of room for dance floor, band and two bars. The price is definitely in your range and it's right on Conti. www.get-waxed.com.

Good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_louisiana-new-orleans_long-reception-venue-reviews-plea?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:84Discussion:d1d5d7fd-0c6d-4471-ac37-c2ec5c18e1baPost:ebb7783b-7f37-4dba-8ad3-c9f6635a1a8b">Long--Reception Venue Reviews & Plea for Help</a>:
    [QUOTE]Details: August 20, 125 people, 4 hours preferred, seated served dinner preferred, must be in French Q, prefer a minimum less than 10k (want to spend 10-12k after tax and grat) [/QUOTE]

Have you checked out The Maison Dupuy Hotel. As August is not a peek month they have discount and lower minimums in August. The coordinator is super nice and helpful. christie@maisondupuy.com you should check it out. Great place.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks everyone!  You guys are amazing--you've given me confidence that I've now left no stone unturned.

The Maison Dupuy said the min. would be $9,500 for a Saturday in August.  Weird. I was also concerned about temperature control.

Kristyn--thanks for your input!  Our wedding is at 7pm at the StL Cathedral, so I'm looking to secondline straight to the reception to get the party started right away. Le Pav is GORGEOUS! I can't believe their pricing is so reasonable, but I don't want to have to do the guest transport thing.

I've narrowed it down to St. Louis Hotel, and Muriels. Muriel's is much more expensive at first glance, but florals would be minimal and rentals are zilch. My planner told me to expect to spend $3k decorating the St. Louis Hotel courtyard.

I'll let you know how it all shakes out.  Need to book something soon and just enjoy the holidays! Sealed
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards