Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

Better booze for head table?

Alright, what's your take on whether it's committing a bridal sin of epic proportions by offering a better brand of wine/champagne to the head table and the house varieties to guests?  Small wedding for 40 with five tables of eight ... separate server for the head table than for the rest.  

No one would ever know, right?  And if they did, would they even care?  Booze budget is breaking the bride's bank. :-/

Re: Better booze for head table?

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_better-booze-for-head-table?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:16940b4e-ecc8-4312-9660-12c33f379301Post:4aebf937-2708-4e06-b219-082267a2f3b8">Better booze for head table?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Alright, what's your take on whether it's committing a bridal sin of epic proportions by offering a better brand of wine/champagne to the head table and the house varieties to guests?  Small wedding for 40 with five tables of eight ... separate server for the head table than for the rest.   No one would ever know, right?  And if they did, would they even care?  Booze budget is breaking the bride's bank. :-/
    Posted by fhredshwa[/QUOTE]

<div>That's really rude.  Sorry, even if you don't think the guests will know, it's just bad form.  For what it's worth, I would  <em>never</em> serve something to my guests (food, booze, etc.) that I didn't think was good enough that I would enjoy having it too.   If booze budget is breaking the bank, serve the house brands to everyone including yourself.</div>
  • Options
    Not cool.

Drink the good stuff before the reception or on your honeymoon.   What you serve your guests you should consume as well.

• Options
    Yeah, i think thats bad form, and I guarantee word would get out. Not worth it.
  • Options
    Definitely a no-no.  Either serve everyone the good stuff, or the house brand, but don't mix it up.  Your guests will find out.
  • Options
    Also, my bridal party and I drank some good stuff while getting ready, but everything at the reception was 'house'. And I am poor and drink 'house' 95% of the time so I really really didn't care.
  • Options
    Wow.  Just when I thought a head table couldn't get any ruder.......
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_better-booze-for-head-table?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:16940b4e-ecc8-4312-9660-12c33f379301Post:4aebf937-2708-4e06-b219-082267a2f3b8">Better booze for head table?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Alright, what's your take on whether it's committing a bridal sin of epic proportions by offering a better brand of wine/champagne to the head table and the house varieties to guests?  Small wedding for 40 with five tables of eight ... separate server for the head table than for the rest.   No one would ever know, right?  And if they did, would they even care? <strong> Booze budget is breaking the bride's bank.</strong> :-/
    Posted by fhredshwa[/QUOTE]

Well then, have the wedding you can afford.  What your asking is incredibly rude and for lack of a better term, tacky.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    Well if ever there was a topic that mobilized the Knotters to a unified front, clearly this is the one!

I can appreciate the tack everyone's taking on this and as you may have noted from the very posting of the question, I was unsure of actually taking this approach.  This is quite a small reception and it was friends (who are not sitting at the head table) and the hotel sales coordinator who suggested this without even having a clue what our budget is.  They were aware that my father likes pinot noirs and suggested that perhaps we serve him (and the head table) a slightly more expensive variety than the house; both were very good, one just happened to be "fancier."  

The vast majority of our guests and their dates are coming to our wedding because every year they meet for a sports tournament, my FI included.  Our wedding and reception are more or less secondary to this big tourney, which we are really happy about!  Knowing our guests as we do, we presume that most will prefer the local beers we're offering over wine.

Points noted and taken.

• Options
    It doesn't matter what they may prefer.   You serve all guests the same options.

I'd be really upset if I saw the head table eating lobster while I had chicken.   Opting for different booze is no different.   There should be no peop;le at the wedding that are 'better' than others.
  • Options
    Your dad has the rest of his life to enjoy whatever wines he wants. For your wedding, you serve everyone the exact same things.  Period.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards