New York

Postage problem

So I dropped off my box of invitations at the post office this morning, I come home from work and there they are with a note that says they are requiring an additional .20 per envelope because of "Odd-shaped items in paper envelopes".  Mind you, I had gone in TWICE with these exact invitations to make sure I would have the appropriate postage on each.  And this so called 'odd-shaped' item is a freakin' sticker.  One sticker smaller than the size of a dime.  Anyone have any experience with this?  Is this a type of situation where I can go in there an have words with these people and they let it slide?  It wouldn't bother me so much if I hadn't gone in twice to get it checked.

Re: Postage problem

• YES. Same thing happened with my STDs. Took them to the PO, had them measured, purchased the postage and sent them on the spot, only to have them returned to me all crumpled and rubber-banded. I threw a fit, and they came to my house to pick them back up. The guy said he would "sprinkle" them in so it wasn't as obvious that the ribbon made one side wider, and it worked.

I was SO paranoid about the same thing happening with my invites that I actually sent them from 4 different POs, a few at a time. I had sent most of them without any problem from 3 different locations, and when I got to my local PO (where I had the STD problem [that sounds weird]) they tell me I may need additional postage. I copped a major (justified) attitude, telling them I just came from 3 other locations without any problems, so they took them as is but told me they "can't make any promises". Fortunately they were all mailed fine.

I really feel your pain. I was totally enraged that the same place that told me what postage I'd need then turned around and said it was insufficient. It's really outrageous the postage they charge you because there is the slightest bump in the envelope. Mine wasn't even visible. I would definitely go in there and throw a fit....would you allow your florist or caterer to quote you a price and then change their minds? It's just as unacceptable coming from the Post Office. Hopefully they'll be able to get them through for you.

Good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • That's crazy that they told you how much it cost then sent them back and chanrged you extra. Your fit's were totally justified. I'm mailing my save the dates this week, I'll be holding my breath the whole time, haha.

I got invited to a college friends wedding last spring, and her local post office clearly messed up how much they charged her, but instead of sending her the bill. They attached a bill to all of her invites so the guests had to foot the .20 cent difference for each invite. We ended up having to leave a quarter in our mailbox for the postal service person. Not sure which situation you is worse, but it'd be nice if they just got it right the first time. That is the job of the people at the counter at the PO. So it's their fault, not yours. 
                                                                                  Follow Me on Pinterest
  • That really sucks. The reason they charge the additional postage is because it has to be hand sorted, rather that ran through a machine.  We have a postage meter at work, and if anything in the envelope sticks up even the slightest bit, it gets stuck and jams up the whole machince. Total pain in the ass.
    Photobucket BabyFruit Ticker
  • bitofritsbitofrits member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited February 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_central-new-york_postage-problem?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:621Discussion:431bfbeb-d5df-4c8e-a4f3-89e13b4b1622Post:0bc44a49-67d0-4ef4-b664-98c0a3b5145c">Re: Postage problem</a>:
    [QUOTE]YES. Same thing happened with my STDs. Took them to the PO, had them measured, purchased the postage and sent them on the spot, only to have them returned to me all crumpled and rubber-banded. I threw a fit, and they came to my house to pick them back up. The guy said he would "sprinkle" them in so it wasn't as obvious that the ribbon made one side wider, and it worked. I was SO paranoid about the same thing happening with my invites that I actually sent them from 4 different POs, a few at a time. I had sent most of them without any problem from 3 different locations, and when I got to my local PO (where I had the STD problem [that sounds weird]) they tell me I may need additional postage. I copped a major (justified) attitude, telling them I just came from 3 other locations without any problems, so they took them as is but told me they "can't make any promises". Fortunately they were all mailed fine. I really feel your pain. I was totally enraged that the same place that told me what postage I'd need then turned around and said it was insufficient. It's really outrageous the postage they charge you because there is the slightest bump in the envelope. Mine wasn't even visible. I would definitely go in there and throw a fit....would you allow your florist or caterer to quote you a price and then change their minds? It's just as unacceptable coming from the Post Office. Hopefully they'll be able to get them through for you. Good luck!
    Posted by MCTD31[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>Mind giving us the names of the 3 post offices that let you mail them without an issue?  :)</div>
    My Attempted Wedding Blog - http://aroseywedding.blogspot.com/
  • Sure thing- North Syracuse (Taft), Teall, and the East Syracuse locations.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I had the same problem!  I had tied mine with baker's twine, which is so, so thin! But the post office lady gave me a dirty look while she smoothed out the envelope on the scale and asked me if I had any liquids, flammables, or perishables in there. I was so confused by her question that I almost stuttered my reply. I was just thinking what perishable could fit inside a regular sized envelope and feel like a piece of string? Does she think I'm mailing spaghetti with my wedding invitations? Anyway, she upped the postage after that, despite what it said on the scale.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I went and mailed out my save the dates today. The lady the post office wouldn't take them from me. She made me buy the number of stamps I needed then had me go sit and stamp themself and just toss them in a blue bin. I could have done that from home. I went the post office hoping they would just toss them into outgoing mail and stamp them for me. Not as bad as having them returned due to incorrect postage, but still annoying. 
                                                                                  Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Good news!  Went to a different post office ready to flip out on someone and the lady took them with no problem, thank God!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards