Snarky Brides

Am I super behind?

My wedding is June 9th and I still have yet to meet with a florist or a cake baker.  When I look at wedding timelines they tell me these things should have been done months ago but I'm just really busy.  FI and I are both full time students and work full time AND we live 4 hours away from our venue.  Please tell me I'm not to screwed!

Re: Am I super behind?

• Your not screwed but it is something that needs to be done soon and really thought about. Check with your vgenue and see if they recommend anyone around there for you to call over the phone and go from there.

Getting Hitches 08/09/2014

• cowoman1cowoman1 member
    First Comment
    edited February 2013
    You're behind according to the timelines, but they're just guide lines. We started planning our April 28th wedding in earnest in the end of January, so I've been behind from the beginning. We recently sat down and wrote out every last thign we could think of that still needs to be done and then started plotting it out on the calendar, working from the most time sensitive items backwards. Maybe something like that would work for you? I think a plus side to the short timeline is that I haven't had much time to second guess myself. I have to make a decision and move on.  Good luck and have fun! 
  • Thanks everyone!  The timelines really make it seem as if there is no way anything can be done unless I did it like 5 months ago. 
  • Don't worry you are fine! We only had 8 months from the date of our engagement to the wedding and when I registered on the knot and saw our million to-do's that should have been done months ago I was really worried it wasn't going to be doable. Totally not the case! Good luck and enjoy the rest of your planning at your own pace :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I don't think you're behind, but it's certainly something you should think about booking soon. I agree with PP's to check with your venue to see if they have recommended vendors that they normally work with to help you in your search of who to choose. I personally found who my venue recommended to great people to work with. It would be helpful to have an idea of what you'd like when you meet with the florist and baker. They can then give you quotes and if you're happy with them, you can book them right there and then. 
    Wedding Venue - Ramsey Golf & Country Club, NJ Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Photographer - Steve Belner, of Photovisions
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Check out my cooking blog, SERIF & SPICE!
    Our wedding has been featured on a wedding blog!

Michaela's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) Follow Me on Pinterest
  • YAY...  we got engaged end of November, and our date is August 3.... I got sad and anxious when I read the timelines too.  I did put things into gear beginning of January though, and we are *basically* caught up to the "guidelines" modifiably so... :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Well I'm getting married in May and I still don't have a florist, if that makes you feel better! We're actually meeting with someone on Saturday.

The timelines are a nice guide, but a lot of it is dependent on when and where you're getting married. We're having a sort of destination wedding just before Memorial Day, so the venue had to be booked WAY far in advance. I don't think cake and flowers are going to be a big problem for you though, because those don't require someone to be at your service for the full day - meaning, the baker can be doing a couple of wedding cakes for that day, etc. Happy planning!
  • You're certainly not screwed.  BUT... June is a popular wedding month and the longer you wait, the less options you will have as services and such will fill up.  I'd do it soon.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_am-i-super-behind?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:08e0e87a-fff2-41c3-9e22-04e433607476Post:0a7ea281-e34c-46d8-bc4a-2b32259fb812">Am I super behind?</a>:
    [QUOTE]My wedding is June 9th and I still have yet to meet with a florist or a cake baker.  When I look at wedding timelines they tell me these things should have been done months ago but I'm just really busy.  FI and I are both full time students and work full time AND we live 4 hours away from our venue.  Please tell me I'm not to screwed!
    Posted by Dchacha413[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>you are fine, but get the dresses soon, those take the longest</div>
  • Don't worry, I'm getting married June 7th and still need to pick a florist, do a cake tasting/finalize cake and we still need to register!  So my guess is we are normal :)  I will advise to not put them too far off, but no need to stress yet.  Flowers and cake have been the hardest thing for me to pick for some reason!

Anniversary
  • I'm getting married in MD, thanks though!
  • I'm also getting married June 9th. We have the baker booked but haven't settled on deskgn/flavors yet. For flowers I did silk to make myself happier. You'll be fine but get n the dresses for sure, unless they are buying off the rack,
  • edited March 2013
    Hi!  This is probably a weird offer but if you wanted some help, I am available. I live near Silver Spring, MD and we're getting married in Baltimore.  If you want to contact me at my e-mail and put "frazzled bride from the knot" or something in the heading, I would be happy to consult you and provide vendor information I have.  My e-mail is: dragonfliezzz@yahoo.com.

What would be most helpful would be:

Your budget for each vendor service
    Your wedding color/theme/feeling
    Your existing vendors (i.e. venue? what kind of transportation? so that things match well)

I would not charge you, I would just enjoy helping you!

E
  • My situation is totally opposite. My FI and I actually had our locations booked a month before he gave me the ring. But after going to a couple of wedding shows, I found out that they were all booked already for my mid-September wedding. That put me in a panic. But I did some digging and talked to friends and family and I am now getting better venders then I saw at any show. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards