Flowers

DIY - How I did it

I see so many posts asking about DIY and wholesalers...  Here is my experience.

I did my own flowers.  I went though flowersandfreshness.com (200 roses) and fiftyflowers.com (centerpiece arrangements and filler hypericum berries) We saved a ton of money (estimate $1500) and I would totally do it again, but not without doing research (google video search for how to make bouquettes and corsages) or without the help of my mom. 

I placed the order several weeks in advance with the websites.  I then got floral tape, pearl-headed pins, ribbons (wide for bouquettes, thin for corsages), and a rose dethorner from a craft store.  I purchased my vases from The Christmas Tree Shop. 

The flowers arrived (mostly closed) on Thursday morning.  I unpackaged the flowers (according to the dirrections given on the wholesale websites), cut the stems at and angle underwater with a knife (used a cutting board submerged in the sink), and placed them into buckets in a cool, dark room (1.5 hours)

On Friday morning into Friday afternoon we first arranged the centerpieces (in vases, about 20), then made the bouquettes (4 total), then the corsages and bouts (about 20).  This took maybe 5 hours. 

The centerpieces were easy.  I just had to cut the pre-made centerpiece bouquettes that I got from fiftyflowers.com and plunk them into the vases and "floof" a little.  After we got finished witht he bouquettes and corsages, I filled them in with the extra roses. 

For the bouquettes we took three roses and wired them together tightly, then added a ring arround that and wired tightly, then a ring arround that and wired tightly.  We used 18 roses for the bridesmaids and 24 for mine.  We wrapped the wired area in wide ribbon and secured it with pearl-headed pins.  We put these back in water and cut the stems to the right length the next day before the wedding. 

Corsages/bouts were two roses/one rose and filler each wired and floral taped together.  Then we added a bow to the corages.  We kept these in individual plastic baggies (labeled for each person) and in the fridge (at the hotel w/ no food in it) until just before the wedding. 

Total cost was about $500. 

HTH!  :)
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: DIY - How I did it

• edited December 2011
    I see so many posts asking about DIY and wholesalers...  Here is my experience.

I did my own flowers.  I went though flowersandfreshness.com (200 roses) and fiftyflowers.com (centerpiece arrangements and filler hypericum berries) We saved a ton of money (estimate $1500) and I would totally do it again, but not without doing research (google video search for how to make bouquettes and corsages) or without the help of my mom. 

I placed the order several weeks in advance with the websites.  I then got floral tape, pearl-headed pins, ribbons (wide for bouquettes, thin for corsages), and a rose dethorner from a craft store.  I purchased my vases from The Christmas Tree Shop. 

The flowers arrived (mostly closed) on Thursday morning.  I unpackaged the flowers (according to the dirrections given on the wholesale websites), cut the stems at and angle underwater with a knife (used a cutting board submerged in the sink), and placed them into buckets in a cool, dark room (1.5 hours)

On Friday morning into Friday afternoon we first arranged the centerpieces (in vases, about 20), then made the bouquettes (4 total), then the corsages and bouts (about 20).  This took maybe 5 hours. 

The centerpieces were easy.  I just had to cut the pre-made centerpiece bouquettes that I got from fiftyflowers.com and plunk them into the vases and "floof" a little.  After we got finished witht he bouquettes and corsages, I filled them in with the extra roses. 

For the bouquettes we took three roses and wired them together tightly, then added a ring arround that and wired tightly, then a ring arround that and wired tightly.  We used 18 roses for the bridesmaids and 24 for mine.  We wrapped the wired area in wide ribbon and secured it with pearl-headed pins.  We put these back in water and cut the stems to the right length the next day before the wedding. 

Corsages/bouts were two roses/one rose and filler each wired and floral taped together.  Then we added a bow to the corages.  We kept these in individual plastic baggies (labeled for each person) and in the fridge (at the hotel w/ no food in it) until just before the wedding. 

Total cost was about $500. 

HTH!  :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • mgietler76mgietler76 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
  • edited December 2011
    This is good info. Two questions:

What size vases did you use for the centerpieces?

Did you get the "large" or "Small" centerpieces from fiftyflowers.com?

Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    I don't have any pro pics of the flowers yet, sorry!  I'll put some of my candids in.

The vases looked like this: http://www.lunabazaar.com/gold-mercury-glass-vase.aspx, only a little larger.  Maybe 6-8 inches tall. 
    Each vase was placed on a red charger like this: http://www.weddingbycolor.com/tweatie2/milestones/35736
    Both were from the Christmas Tree Shop. 

I got the small size centerpieces (24 of them, but I only had 19 tables, so I could bulk them up with the extras... additional bulking was done with 2 circus roses in each as well).  http://www.fiftyflowers.com/product/Romantic-Red-and-White-Wedding-Table-Arrangements_23755.htm

I got circus roses and ivory roses from flowersandfreshness.com

The BMs bouquettes looked similar to this (no loopy greens): http://www.flickr.com/photos/flowersbymegan/2144669300/

Edit - Sorry the pics are small - I don't know how to make them bigger :(
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I was wondering what type of rose dethorner you purched? I've seen different kinds on the internet.
    Just curious how well it worked.
  • edited December 2011
    It looked like a little knife.  My mom picked it up.  We could have probably used a paring knife for the same effect. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    My sister just did this in August.  She also watched an online video on how to make corsages and bouts.  She said they were really easy and fast to do.

She ordered long stem roses from Costco not arranged (24 roses for $15.99) and Artistic Collection filler from Ferntrust in Florida that sells them premade.  They were advertised on the floral video she watched.  Anyway, she said she spent approximately $330 for 20 table centerpieces, 4 corsages, 8 bouts, 6 bridesmaids and the bridal bouquet.  She said if she had to do it again, she would have ordered less filler because the bunches were so large.
  • edited December 2011

How did you deliver the bouquets to the wedding site?  My mom is doing my brother's weddings flowers - 8 bouquets. 

Thanks,

St. Louis Bridesmaid

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards