Ohio-Columbus
Options

Cocktail reception only?HELP

I was wondering what anyone thought aboout a cocktail reception instead of a sit down dinner.. We are thinking great hors Doeuvre, signature coctail, chocolate fountain, photo booth and a great band or DJ? We would be doing everything else instead of the sit down dinner!! It is a great outside location(northbank pavillion?) and we would also have the ceramony there. Let me know if this is cheesy or a unique idea..Please inform of any other ideas?. Thanks!!

Re: Cocktail reception only?HELP

• Options
    edited December 2011

Before determining whether or not you want to do a cocktail reception, you should shop around for prices.  When I was looking at ideas, a cocktail reception was often more expensive than a sit down or buffet dinner because they need to make sure they have enough food for everyone.  Just a thought for you to look into.

However, I think the idea of stations is fun, but for me they were too expensive (we thought of doing them during our cocktail reception).  With these stations, you usually have to pay for the chef attendant too.  So, not always reasonable with a budget :-(

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree with Andria, the appetizers turned out to be just as expensive or more expensive as the served plated dinners, which was very suprising to me.

I like the ideas of stations too but Chocolate Fountains gross me out, maybe I'm a bit of a germ-a-phobe, but I was at an event with a huge chocolate fountain and as the night wore on the parents forgot to keep a close eye on their kids and the kids were literally sticking their entire hands under the chocolate licking it and sticking it back under the fountain...
  • Options
    BrittBritt22BrittBritt22 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you go with coktail only make sure you specifically mention that on the invite.
  • Options
    summer4077summer4077 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are having our ceremony and reception the evening of Friday, September 17th at North Bank and are doing exactly what you described.  Heavy hors d'oeuvres, beer/wine/champagne/signature cocktail, and cake and chocolate covered strawberries.  I agree with the pp--it's going to cost around the same as a sit down dinner.  For us, it wasn't about the cost but about the atmosphere.  We want it to be fun, less formal and more social--like a cocktail party.  People can mingle and pick up food as they like throughout the night.  North Bank Park is a location that lends itself wonderfully to such a reception.  It's a short reception and people should be out enjoying the beautiful surroundings and skyline, not stuck at tables.  :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I went to a wedding recently that was heavy appetizers, cocktails, cheese fondue, etc.  They had a live band and dancing, and it was a lot of fun.  One thing though, I wished they had more seating available.  I don't think every butt needs a seat, but be sure to have more than just a few chairs scattered around.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    While I loved one cocktail reception I have been to, I went to another in Manhattan (which was probably the most expensive wedding I've ever been to - or will ever go to), but I was left STARVING all night.  The food was delicious, but there just wasn't enough to qualify as a "dinner" even though I'd traveled so far and spent soo much on a hotel.  One thing I was told to consider when I was thinking about doing this myself is how many guests you have and how far are they traveling.  If you have a lot of guests from out of town, especially many flying in, you really want to make sure you are making it worth their while.  You may not need a full sit down dinner, but definitely something more substantial - mashed potato bars are my favorite!
    Boardwalk catering offers a very reasonable "cocktail party" menu, I think it is around $12/person.  She also does a mashed potato bar ;)

• Options
    taragray26taragray26 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for all the help, still dont know what to do??? I feel like maybe I should just elope and call it a day:)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm getting married in Maui with just a few friends and family present and then we are having a cocktail "reception" when we get back for everyone else (about 150).  We are using Mass Appeal Dining and they have a great selection and are much more affordable then the rest because linens (black, white, ivory) china, glasses, bartender, staff, etc is included in the food price.  They will also let you come up with your own food ideas - for example, we are having a pulled pork station and mashed potato bar, along with some passed and some buffeted appetizers.  Later in the evening they will bring out flatbread pizzas as a snack/alcohol absorber.  It isn't less expensive, it's just more fun to us and is the kind of social event that we want. 
    We are renting 10 caberet tables for people to stand around at and will be using 10 free regular round tables from the venue and will have seating for about 1/2 of the people.  We are going to have a variety of mini cupcakes instead of cake since they will be easy to eat even if you aren't sitting down. We are also getting a photobooth. 
    Think about why you want to do it that way...if it's because it sounds less expensive, just go with a regular meal.  If it's because that is the type of food and atmosphere you want - go for it.  I've never wanted a sit-down, standard wedding dinner, so this is they only way I'd do it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards