New Jersey

Tiny Budget Wedding in North New Jersey

I'm helping my best friend plan a $3,000 budget wedding (wish us luck). Anyone know a nice reception venue for $25.00pp. We are not looking for open bar or a full menu. She would like a dinner service with a choice of a pasta course, salad course, choice of (chicken,fish,beef), unlimited soft drinks, coffee and tea. No desert, we'll serve the wedding cake. We would like a lovely space. We are open to a restaurant option, as long as there is
space for dancing. We are only having 60 guest. The wedding date is 9/12/2012 (a Saturday night), she would like to keep the date because it's their anniversary date.  We would like some place no more then 40 mins away from Jersey City. Any suggestions you all have would be greatly appreciated. I've been searching for weeks with no luck. :-( 

Thank you in advance for your help!

Re: Tiny Budget Wedding in North New Jersey

• edited December 2011
    Euro Lounge in North Arlington or Michael's Riverside in Lyndhurst
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    Thank you so much ! I'm going to check it out. I'll let you know how it goes.
  • edited December 2011
    Biaggio's in Paramus.  Just negotiate a lot- offer to have less appetizers, and BYO cake. Also try Portobellos in Oakland (may be a little far though- but good food).
  • edited December 2011
    you are welcome :) 
  • edited December 2011
    Omg you guys are angels! Michael's riverside loos great, I'll tomorrow and let you guys know how it goes.
  • edited December 2011
    Portobellos in Oakland is amazing, I'm on an iPad so I can't see their menu. But I'm going to call them in e morning. You all are awesome.
  • edited December 2011
    I had a bad experience when trying to book a social event at MR. PM me if you want more info.

You may also have luck asking for social event menus as opposed to wedding menus.  Try the Grand Chalet in Wayne.  The coordinator over there is great to work with and very accomodating. You can def negotiate the price. Portobello is also a great option, as PP said, in Oakland. I've been to quite a few events there and the food is also delish. Hanover Manor is also nice and easy to work with and will negotiate.

Keep in mind that most places have a + 7% tax + 18-20% svc charge. That would put you at about $19 before tax and tip per person.  Def negotiate w/ these places.  If I think of any other places I'll post!  Good Luck :)
  • edited December 2011
    Oh ! One more thing =)

If she would consider a Saturday day receptions (12pm-5pm), that would also help with the cost !!
  • edited December 2011
    I tried to pm you did you receive it? This iPad is giving me trouble
  • edited December 2011
    I didn't get it yet :(
  • edited December 2011
    I considered the tax and 20 % gratuity (hopefully it will be 15-18%). With thouse numbers the total would $1,920. I'm praying we have enough to do everything else. For those of you thinking we are crazy, lol she family donating a lot of things. Like used wedding dress, tux rental, uncle photographer, her mom is making the cake. She,s a good person and got laid off earlier this year and I promised I'd help her have a beautiful wedding. So I really appreciate all you ideas.
  • edited December 2011

I just got your PM!

This is random - but did you happen to grow up in Wayne?

• edited December 2011
    Lol no. I grew up in NY, just moved to NJ. I'm really not familiar with the different towns. I'm using Mapquest to judge the distance.
  • rlavachrlavach member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    After Athens/Eros Cafe in Rutherford might also be a nice choice. They have two rooms available and can work on their catering menu to bring it into your price range. Their appetizer menu is way below your budget, so maybe she would consider moving the time up to afternoon and doing heavy appetizers. I don't know about parking in that area, though.

We looked into it, but it was a bit small for our 90 guests. 
  • edited December 2011
    Try Casa Dante in Jersey City. They have a back room and are really affordable.
  • dalm0mdalm0m member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011

Various Halls & Lodges like the Elks & VFWs can usually accomodate that pricing or let you bring in outside caterers (think pizzerias). 

Some are nicer than others.  She's really going to have to look at the halls.

FWIW, I was able to throw a party for 200 people with open tab, buffet dinner, a DJ, dinner & dessert for about $2,500. 

• edited December 2011
    Thank you for the suggestions. What's FWIW mean?
  • edited December 2011
    for what its worth = fwiw
  • edited December 2011
    Lol ok thanks.
  • edited December 2011
    Chateau of Spains's most expensive package for their  "In House Party" menu is only  26.95 pp
  • edited December 2011
    Thank you ! Has anyone tried Hamilton and Ward in Paterson? We're going to meet with them next weekend.
  • edited December 2011
    Hi everyone we decided to go with Hamilton and Ward. They just remodeled their banquet rooms. We had a tasting there today and the food was amazing. The owner Peter was great and was really accomadating. Thanks for all your help!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards