Honeymoon Discussions

Where is the best place to take a romantic cruise to?

My husband and I are doing a honeymoon / anniversary thing. We have never taken a cruise before. Tell me what cruise line is the best for honeymoons, and what is the best place to go.

Re: Where is the best place to take a romantic cruise to?

• We are giong on Royal Caribbean to the southern Caribbean...we leave from Puerto Rico and our ports are St. Maarten, St. Kitts, Antigua, St. Lucia and Barbados.  We have a balcony cabin.
  • dalm0mdalm0m member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited February 2013
    AS the previous poster pointed out, what's best will vary by your own tastes & budget.  You are bascially asking us to tell you whether you will like chocolate or vanilla ice cream better; there's no way to know & there is no universally right answer. 

If you haven't been there already check out cruisecritic.com.  It is to cruises what the knot is to WP. 

Some HUGE generalizations are as follows:

Carnival -- party hearty, low budget

RCL -- lots of on board bells & whistles, very active:  Ice skating, rock climbing, flow riders, zip lines etc. 

NCL -- fresstyle, no schedule, no dress code (formal night), people complain about getting nickle & dimed to death.  lots of on board food choices but many have extra fees

Princess -- the Love Boat; elegant decor; people do dress for formal night, warm chocolate chip cookies in afternoon; movie screens out by the pool; we found it a bit sleepy b/c the bars except the disc close at midnight, or earlier

Holland America -- older demographic, upscale, kind of boring, good food

Celebrity -- upscale, elegant, formal

Costa -- Italian, lots of smokers on board

Cunard -- very elegant, old school British, Very, very formal, some may even say snobbish, amazing food

Seaborne, Crystal, Raddison -- high end, extremely expensive, smaller ships, upscale resort casual, not a lot of on board sporty amenities 

River cruising:  again various companies; very small ships (usually  < 200 passangers), excursions, beer & wine icinluded; amazing way to see  a country's interiors, no on board amenities like a pool or live shows etc. 

So it depends on what you want.  Cruises are active vactions.  There is always a lot going on or you can do nothing.  You are only on the islands during the day.  Your evening romance must be found on board along with 2500 other people. 
  • cruise or not my all time top romantic city on the planet is florence. once via cruise 2x not over the last 4 years. i'd go back every week if i could.

but that's me.
    do your reserch as to your budget, likes/dislikes, etc....
    cruisecritic.com, tripadvisor.com etc..

you cvan also talk to a travel agent.

• European River Cruises! There are a few companies over there- but we chose Viking.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_where-is-the-best-place-to-take-a-romantic-cruise-to?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:e1128f7b-8965-4f56-b49d-93207bdc3773Post:c1f4052b-42b7-43e7-8223-4958be4e37d1">Re: Where is the best place to take a romantic cruise to?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Where is the best place to take a romantic cruise to? : Oooh, goody!  I'm headed to Florence for three days after our next cruise!
    Posted by CMGr[/QUOTE]

nice!! let me know if you need recs for anything :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards