Snarky Brides

Age difference?

Re: Age difference?

• Aw :( he is ok tho?
  • There was a big stink on my month board when a 16 year old bride came on to ask if there were any other young brides to chat with - her fiance was 28 I think.  That was an interesting thread to read. 
  • Thanks guys! He is fine. The rash was gone by the time we got to the hospital, and he is napping soundly. He didn't even seem to notice. Bummer about the no egg thing though - I was going to start giving him pancakes.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Alli is it possible it's just actual eggs and not egg products? It seems like I could give my kids egg products (pancakes, waffles, that type of thing) before I could give them actual eggs out of the shell. I could be totally wrong though, and it's a miracle my kids have survived this long.
  • edited March 2012
    Thats good :)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_age-difference?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:9aa9fc89-798e-4b7f-aef3-e0c046d8e2d7Post:db6edd3d-da5c-482e-8d18-3b1da597d09e">Re: Age difference?</a>:
    [QUOTE]FI's 2 years older than me. Not too many cradle robbers in this group. ETA: and by cradle robbers I really just mean most people's FI's/H's are older than them. I hope no ones getting married to a minor or anything.
    Posted by acaponi87[/QUOTE]

<div>I don't understand what the big issue is if there's a significant age difference. If it's legal, why cause a fuss?</div>
  • allisong23allisong23 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited March 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_age-difference?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:9aa9fc89-798e-4b7f-aef3-e0c046d8e2d7Post:d3a956a1-5bae-4114-ac92-0fdcba51b1df">Re: Age difference?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Alli is it possible it's just actual eggs and not egg products? It seems like I could give my kids egg products (pancakes, waffles, that type of thing) before I could give them actual eggs out of the shell. I could be totally wrong though, and it's a miracle my kids have survived this long.
    Posted by MRSBJS[/QUOTE]

I am  not sure. He had a scrambled yolk (although there was probably some  white in there). I hope he can still do pancakes, french toast, cookies, etc. My other thought was that he wouldn't get a birthday cake on his 1st birthday! Silly, huh?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_age-difference?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:9aa9fc89-798e-4b7f-aef3-e0c046d8e2d7Post:7cd1719b-86c7-4f71-991c-4901b9044bfc">Re: Age difference?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Age difference? : I don't understand what the big issue is if there's a significant age difference. If it's legal, why cause a fuss?
    Posted by shadowkat08[/QUOTE]

There isn't. That's why I edited. I just meant most people are older than their FI's. Like you said, as long as it's legal I don't care.
    June 16, 2012
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_age-difference?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:9aa9fc89-798e-4b7f-aef3-e0c046d8e2d7Post:ef2099e1-7d2a-4312-a04a-21e8d5315e30">Re: Age difference?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Age difference? : I am  not sure. He had a scrambled yolk (although there was probably some  white in there). I hope he can still do pancakes, french toast, cookies, etc. My other thought was that he wouldn't get a birthday cake on his 1st birthday! Silly, huh?
    Posted by allisong23[/QUOTE]

I would try them - maybe even a package of the frozen ones, just to see if he's ok with them.

It might not even be an allgeric reaction - my youngest used to get red in the face if she ate tomato products. I think it was just the acid, because she is fine now and eats everything.

No birthday cake for that little bug!? I won't hear of it! He's so damn cute!
  • MRSBJSMRSBJS member
    First Comment
    edited March 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_age-difference?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:9aa9fc89-798e-4b7f-aef3-e0c046d8e2d7Post:7cd1719b-86c7-4f71-991c-4901b9044bfc">Re: Age difference?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Age difference? : I don't understand what the big issue is if there's a significant age difference. If it's legal, why cause a fuss?
    Posted by shadowkat08[/QUOTE]

I don't think she was making a fuss....just saying that most of us are older than our S/O's rather than the other way around.

ETA: I see I'm slow.
  • allisong23allisong23 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited March 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_age-difference?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:9aa9fc89-798e-4b7f-aef3-e0c046d8e2d7Post:2b1798d4-57b3-46b5-b7e6-73efb8b761d2">Re: Age difference?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Age difference? : I would try them - maybe even a package of the frozen ones, just to see if he's ok with them. It might not even be an allgeric reaction - my youngest used to get red in the face if she ate tomato products. I think it was just the acid, because she is fine now and eats everything. No birthday cake for that little bug!? I won't hear of it! He's so damn cute!
    Posted by MRSBJS[/QUOTE]

I'll hold off until I see his pedi at his 9 month appointment and see if I can try again. I think  that completely avoiding a food is worse than carefully exposing them to it.  Hopefully it will be all better by then. :)
  • edited March 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_age-difference?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:9aa9fc89-798e-4b7f-aef3-e0c046d8e2d7Post:2c2d3a15-df40-4aa4-a50f-ea7333718add">Re: Age difference?</a>:
    [QUOTE]There was a big stink on my month board when a 16 year old bride came on to ask if there were any other young brides to chat with - her fiance was 28 I think.  That was an interesting thread to read. 
    Posted by Girlie1030[/QUOTE]

A girl I worked with for a few weeks ( she was let go because she failed to mention that she was 6 months pregnant when she started) her baby daddy was 15 yrs older than her, she had just turned 16. Everyone thought she was stupid for thinking that they were going to get married and stuff. I thought she was a bit young and maybe a bit naieve to think just because she was having his baby everything would work out (he was a bit abusive, verbaly) but I think  everyone over reacts about age having such a huge impact on peoples relationships. Almost all of my friends are 5+ years older than me and I understand them way more than most people my own age.

*Edit* I am so slow. And FI was randomly puching buttons lol.
  • H is about 6 weeks older than me so no real difference. Doesn't give me much time to poke fun of him for being "so much older" than me before I'm in the same boat.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_age-difference?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:9aa9fc89-798e-4b7f-aef3-e0c046d8e2d7Post:07a60e45-9a29-4a0d-b2f5-a9201d9b873f">Re: Age difference?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Age difference? : A girl I worked with for a few weeks ( <strong>she was let go because she failed to mention that she was 6 months pregnant when she started</strong>) her baby daddy was 15 yrs older than her, she had just turned 16. Everyone thought she was stupid for thinking that they were going to get married and stuff. I thought she was a bit young and maybe a bit naieve to think just because she was having his baby everything would work out (he was a bit abusive, verbaly) but I think  everyone over reacts about age having such a huge impact on peoples relationships. Almost all of my friends are 5+ years older than me and I understand them way more than most people my own age. *Edit* I am so slow. And FI was randomly puching buttons lol.
    Posted by Tahlora[/QUOTE]
    Uhm that's illegal
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • She was asked and she said no, it was a phisical job so they couldn't afford to hire people  already pregnant, medical kicked in at 3 months. it might not have been the only reason tho, she wasnt' very fast at getting stuff done. I am not sure, i just know the supervisor wasnt pleased when she found out.
  • edited March 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_age-difference?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:9aa9fc89-798e-4b7f-aef3-e0c046d8e2d7Post:56cc5ac6-16ba-4a8a-b283-9f599bfd3ff9">Re: Age difference?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Age difference? : Uhm that's illegal
    Posted by dmiller9274[/QUOTE]

I was thinking the same thing? Although, the company had a 90 day rule (not uncommon) of employment before she could start recieving benefits like mat leave she might just have not been rehired after she had the kid? If they found otu she was pregnant and dropped her then and there well that's a different story.

edit - too slow. damn internet connection.
  • I'm 3 1/2 months older than my H. He shares the same birthday as his cousin, my BIL, and my late cousin. It's a very common birthday in both our families, I guess haha.
    25 in 2012 Reading Progress: 11/25 (44% toward goal)
    my currently-reading shelf:
    Mehgan's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (currently-reading shelf)
    Photobucket
    "Are you one of those vegetarian zombies that only eats grrrrrraaaaaaiiiinnnnnsssss?" -- raynes
    **FOR SALE NOW**
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_age-difference?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:9aa9fc89-798e-4b7f-aef3-e0c046d8e2d7Post:07a60e45-9a29-4a0d-b2f5-a9201d9b873f">Re: Age difference?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Age difference? : A girl I worked with for a few weeks ( <strong>she was let go because she failed to mention that she was 6 months pregnant when she started</strong>) her baby daddy was 15 yrs older than her, she had just turned 16. Everyone thought she was stupid for thinking that they were going to get married and stuff. I thought she was a bit young and maybe a bit naieve to think just because she was having his baby everything would work out (he was a bit abusive, verbaly) but I think  everyone over reacts about age having such a huge impact on peoples relationships. Almost all of my friends are 5+ years older than me and I understand them way more than most people my own age. *Edit* I am so slow. And FI was randomly puching buttons lol.
    I think it's 1.) against the law for a prospective employer to ask an applicant if she is pregnant, and 2.) not required for the applicant to disclose her pregnancy. I also believe it's against the law to fire an employee for being pregnant... but I'm not a lawyer. What kind of place do you work for??
    Due 10/21/13 with our first baby BabyFruit Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_age-difference?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:9aa9fc89-798e-4b7f-aef3-e0c046d8e2d7Post:71dbfb68-de59-47b2-8a37-2f8cade16c28">Re: Age difference?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm 3 1/2 months older than my H. He shares the same birthday as his cousin, my BIL, and my late cousin. It's a very common birthday in both our families, I guess haha.
    Posted by mehgank[/QUOTE]

Weird! My sister's husband and my husband's brother are born on the same day. Those are the only two brother in laws I have. It is kind of freaky, isn't it?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_age-difference?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:9aa9fc89-798e-4b7f-aef3-e0c046d8e2d7Post:6f18add5-05de-432e-b530-0de76e23f6ed">Re: Age difference?</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>She was asked and she said no,</strong> it was a phisical job so they couldn't afford to hire people  already pregnant, medical kicked in at 3 months. it might not have been the only reason tho, she wasnt' very fast at getting stuff done. I am not sure, i just know the supervisor wasnt pleased when she found out.
    Pretty sure it's illegal to ask that question of applicants....
    Due 10/21/13 with our first baby BabyFruit Ticker
  • It most certainly is.
  • HI M&M, miss you around these parts. I also thought of you the other day. The owning the bar talk came up again.

FI is about a year and a half older.
  • This may be a UO, but if the nature of the work could be harmful to someone pregnant I think it's fair to make sure you don't hire a pregnant person. Physical labor COULD fall under that category, not saying it did or not in this case.
  • hahah that's awesome, Dodgers! Miss you too!

Question, say the job required a person to lift 100 plus pounds. Could they ask, is there any reason you can't life 100 plus pounds? If the answer was, "yes I can now but I am 6 months pregnant so not in the near future" how does that work if they don't hire you?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_age-difference?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:9aa9fc89-798e-4b7f-aef3-e0c046d8e2d7Post:2207f1aa-e390-4283-bfa8-65db4af2fd9c">Re: Age difference?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Age difference? : I was thinking the same thing? Although, the company had a 90 day rule (not uncommon) of employment before she could start recieving benefits like mat leave she might just have not been rehired after she had the kid? If they found otu she was pregnant and dropped her then and there well that's a different story. edit - too slow. damn internet connection.
    Posted by MeaghanandMichael[/QUOTE]

Lol I'm always to slow. I can't remember the exact reason, I didn't even know she was gone for almost a week, she had missed a few days due to morning sickness too, and threw up at work once. I know it isnt her fault but I can't blame the supervisor for being upset
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_age-difference?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:9aa9fc89-798e-4b7f-aef3-e0c046d8e2d7Post:709dd92d-c52c-49ac-b04e-fb91983c7dfb">Re: Age difference?</a>:
    [QUOTE]This may be a UO, but if the nature of the work could be harmful to someone pregnant I think it's fair to make sure you don't hire a pregnant person. Physical labor COULD fall under that category, not saying it did or not in this case.
    Posted by NicoleSahara[/QUOTE]

Yeah this is kind of what I am asking. For example, can a person with a peanut allergy sue for not being hired to work in a peanutbutter factory? I know this is reaching, but in such a suit happy culture it is interesting to think about.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_age-difference?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:9aa9fc89-798e-4b7f-aef3-e0c046d8e2d7Post:709dd92d-c52c-49ac-b04e-fb91983c7dfb">Re: Age difference?</a>:
    [QUOTE]This may be a UO, but if the nature of the work could be harmful to someone pregnant I think it's fair to make sure you don't hire a pregnant person. Physical labor COULD fall under that category, not saying it did or not in this case.
    Posted by NicoleSahara[/QUOTE]

I'm thinking so too.

What comes to my mind are all the oil jobs in ND right now.  There are women out here driving septic trucks.  It's hella dangerous.  I don't think I would begrudge those employers for not wanting to hire pregnant women.
    panther
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_age-difference?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:9aa9fc89-798e-4b7f-aef3-e0c046d8e2d7Post:2c2d3a15-df40-4aa4-a50f-ea7333718add">Re: Age difference?</a>:
    [QUOTE]There was a big stink on my month board when a 16 year old bride came on to ask if there were any other young brides to chat with - her fiance was 28 I think.  That was an interesting thread to read. 
    Posted by Girlie1030[/QUOTE]

<div>The year after I graduated HS, a senior (or junior? I can't remember) girl ran off with the school's athletic director.  They were both reported missing.  Then a few weeks later, they were found together at Disney World (HS is in Indiana).  If I remember correctly, someone in the park happened to have seen the girl's picture on the news that morning and recognized her at Disney and called the police.  Police came and busted them in the middle of the park.  That was 10 years ago. I recently found out that they are now married. Craziness.  </div>
  • The company I previously worked for did ask you to disclose any condition that would make you need special concessions to do your job. For example, the guy in the example needed large print materials and a special large print computer. Apparantly, as long as the company can "reasonably accomodate" the request (whatever that legal jargon means) the company has to. Pregnancy is a different story to me though. I don't know why.
  • edited March 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_age-difference?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:9aa9fc89-798e-4b7f-aef3-e0c046d8e2d7Post:0285748f-ccd0-4e9b-a07a-429278c1a82c">Re: Age difference?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Age difference? : The year after I graduated HS, a senior (or junior? I can't remember) girl ran off with the school's athletic director.  They were both reported missing.  Then a few weeks later, they were found together at Disney World (HS is in Indiana).  If I remember correctly, someone in the park happened to have seen the girl's picture on the news that morning and recognized her at Disney and called the police.  Police came and busted them in the middle of the park.  That was 10 years ago. I recently found out that they are now married. Craziness.  
    Posted by LP11509[/QUOTE]

Oh goody! Just what I want to see on my trip to Disney! The take down of a statuatory offender. ha! I guess in their case, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger (stronger, yeah!).
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards