Honeymoon Discussions
Options

Heading to the Cooks!

We decided to scrap our plans to go to Puerto Rico this spring and now instead we're going to the Cook Islands! I'm very interested to see how it compares to French Polynesia, Fiji, or even the GBR area of Australia. I'll be sure to report back and I hope that it can be an alternative to French Polynesia or Fiji for those who don't have $10K+ to spend! :) 

Re: Heading to the Cooks!

• Options
    Can I just say that I am so jealous of all your amaizng travels you have been on.  H and I would love to see the world and visit some amazing places but we are lucky if we can get to Ocean City, MD for a week in the summer let alone anywhere else.  Guess I will just have to live vicariously through you and others that are able to travel to some great destinations!

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_heading-to-the-cooks?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:3a18e487-acc1-4a21-ae91-19b6078cb369Post:ff1bc049-9b93-45f5-b468-c21305185e3b">Re: Heading to the Cooks!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Can I just say that I am so jealous of all your amaizng travels you have been on.  H and I would love to see the world and visit some amazing places but we are lucky if we can get to Ocean City, MD for a week in the summer let alone anywhere else.  Guess I will just have to live vicariously through you and others that are able to travel to some great destinations!
    Posted by Maggie0829[/QUOTE]

Aw, thanks! I travel a lot for work, so I make good use of my FF miles and hotel points when I can. This isn't one of those times, but I couldn't pass the opportunity up! I used to live in MD, BTW, and often found myself just down the beach!

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_heading-to-the-cooks?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:3a18e487-acc1-4a21-ae91-19b6078cb369Post:0ef62e30-28c9-4a32-99df-d68aca926870">Re: Heading to the Cooks!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Heading to the Cooks! : Aw, thanks! I travel a lot for work, so I make good use of my FF miles and hotel points when I can. This isn't one of those times, but I couldn't pass the opportunity up!<strong> I used to live in MD</strong>, BTW, and often found myself just down the beach!
    Posted by Jells2dot0[/QUOTE]

Really? What part?

Don't get me wrong, I love Ocean City.  It is a great place to people watch but after going there once or twice a year for the past 29 years, it gets a bit old.

What has been your all time favorite travel destination?  What location was the biggest let down (if there was one)?

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_heading-to-the-cooks?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:3a18e487-acc1-4a21-ae91-19b6078cb369Post:2e2aeab3-8cdb-4dd0-b02a-3705c4bf195a">Re: Heading to the Cooks!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Heading to the Cooks! : Really? What part? Don't get me wrong, I love Ocean City.  It is a great place to people watch but after going there once or twice a year for the past 29 years, it gets a bit old. What has been your all time favorite travel destination?  What location was the biggest let down (if there was one)?
    Posted by Maggie0829[/QUOTE]

I went to school at SU in Salisbury. Then, I lived in Columbia and Frederick before moving West!

I have a few favorites- French Polynesia (especially Le Taha'a), Lizard Island in Australia, and Denis Private Island in the Seychelles. Le Taha'a has always been my favorite, but then we went to Lizard Island for our HM and we are dying to go back. Next year hopefully :)

Biggest let down- Jamaica. People love it there, but each time I have been, my feelings have not changed.

Another let down, though not the biggest, was Mauritius. They show pictures online of this paradise that seemingly rivals the Seychelles. However, we found the water to not be as crystal as I thought, it took forever to get around the island, and Ile au Cerfs is really built up a touristy and not the pristine paradise you would think it to be. I did enjoy it there, as the resort we stayed at was nice and the staff was awesome, but given that it costs so much to get there and takes 2 days to get there, I probably won't go back.

As you can tell, most of my favs are tropical. I have enjoyed my trips to Europe, but I'm not as much of an active traveler as my DH, so I probably don't give it the credit it deserves. My favorite place in Europe, though, is Switzerland.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_heading-to-the-cooks?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:3a18e487-acc1-4a21-ae91-19b6078cb369Post:9e1d45ec-e81d-4d66-8a23-0fc860121418">Re:Heading to the Cooks!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re:Heading to the Cooks!: LOVE working the points! I put everything I can on my Capital One and usually earn a few flights and hotel stays a year. This year we switched to cash back and so far have gotten over a thousand back to put toward our wedding and honeymoon!
    Posted by Sleeper2013[/QUOTE]

That's awesome that you got so much cash back! I have a Starwood AmEx and a United Club Card, so everything I spend turns into FF miles or hotel points!

• Options

I am a Harford County (Bel Air) girl all my life.  I had a few friends from college go to SU and I even contemplated going there myself.

Thanks for all the wonderful insights.  I definitely love the beach and the tropical areas are all on the tops of my lists to visit.  It is great because you can be active if you want in those places but you can also do nothing and just lounge on the beach everyday as well.

I do want to visit Italy (the whole country) and then slowly make my way around Europe.  I figure those will be kind of go, go, go type vacations and that I will most likely need to take another vacation to recover from the vacation.

My H and I are the oppostie of your H and you.  I tend to like to explore and do things and see the sites.  H prefers to sleep till noon, leave the room by 2 and relax by the pool with a beer by 2:05am.  I am of the mindset that I most likely will never get back to that place again so I want to see as much of it as I can when I am there.  So needless to say our HM in Key West had a lot of compromising involved.

Luckily my work allows me to travel a bit but I have never been outside of the US.  One day though.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_heading-to-the-cooks?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:3a18e487-acc1-4a21-ae91-19b6078cb369Post:c37c51ba-11ef-47b2-9dcd-910600dd41e3">Heading to the Cooks!</a>:
    [QUOTE]We decided to scrap our plans to go to Puerto Rico this spring and now instead we're going to the Cook Islands! I'm very interested to see how it compares to French Polynesia, Fiji, or even the GBR area of Australia. I'll be sure to report back and I hope that it can be an alternative to French Polynesia or Fiji for those who don't have $10K+ to spend! :) 
    Posted by Jells2dot0[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Wow, sounds amazing!  How long does it take to get there?  Is it a crazy amount of flying time/flights?  French Polynesia is as far as I've been, and that was no problem in my eyes.

</div>
  • Options
    Looking forward to reading your trip report!!!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_heading-to-the-cooks?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:3a18e487-acc1-4a21-ae91-19b6078cb369Post:b51219eb-1c93-4487-8cbc-8e52ea2a8826">Re: Heading to the Cooks!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Heading to the Cooks! : Wow, sounds amazing!  How long does it take to get there?  Is it a crazy amount of flying time/flights?  French Polynesia is as far as I've been, and that was no problem in my eyes.
    Posted by JoanE2012[/QUOTE]

It's only an hour or so longer than FP. You leave LAX on a non-stop at 11:15pm and arrive the next morning at 6am. I had placed business class airfare on hold, but felt bad about spending the extra money because it was more than the rest of the package! I have only flown coach to FP once out of many trips there and flew business to Fiji (10 hours)/Skycouch to NZ (12 hours), so this is an experiment. The craziest was going to Mauritius- 10 hours to London, 10 hours to Johannesburg and 4 hours to Mauritius! I definitely flew business class then!

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_heading-to-the-cooks?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:3a18e487-acc1-4a21-ae91-19b6078cb369Post:d9846d22-e019-454b-9a96-455b274b7d85">Re: Heading to the Cooks!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Heading to the Cooks! : <strong>It's only an hour or so longer than FP.</strong> You leave LAX on a non-stop at 11:15pm and arrive the next morning at 6am. I had placed business class airfare on hold, but felt bad about spending the extra money because it was more than the rest of the package! I have only flown coach to FP once out of many trips there and flew business to Fiji (10 hours)/Skycouch to NZ (12 hours), so this is an experiment. The craziest was going to Mauritius- 10 hours to London, 10 hours to Johannesburg and 4 hours to Mauritius! I definitely flew business class then!
    Posted by Jells2dot0[/QUOTE]

<div>Oh wow, that's not too bad!  I've never flown anything other than coach.  I'm afraid if I every splurge I'll never want to go back to coach.  :D  </div>
  • Options
    Please please please report back on the Cooks!  I mentioned to you earlier that we were hoping to go there for our HM but it didn't work out.  I would love to actually hear from someone whose been there!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards