Getting in Shape

Meal replacement shakes

Is anybody taking meal replacement shakes like Herbalife, Yor Health, Slim Fast, Visalus etc?. It sounds very promising but I haven't found anybody to give me real honest reviews. All conversations are basically to try to get me to buy and sell it.

I'm not a fan of drinking my dinner but I'm really struggling with my last 15 lbs to lose. a few years ago, i lost weight and after my wedding, i've slowly gained back about 10.

Is there a product someone recommends? I already changed my eating habits and i'm losing about 1 Lb a week but i've heard these shakes help you lose about 5 a week.

I know that to lose a higher amount per week i must excercise more but this just sounds so easy and convenient. lol jk. I also know that it's a lifestyle change and i'd have to drink em forever to maintain......

Re: Meal replacement shakes

• Honestly... If you replace a meal with one of these, and lose the weight.. don't you think you'll stop replacing your meal and then just gain it all right back? 
    I am anti-meal replacement drinks... I don't see why you couldn't just make yourself a giant spinach salad with balsamic vinegar for dinner every night. So much better for you... and cheaper.. and something that is realistic to keep up... 

Ok I'll get off my soap box now...  :o

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_meal-replacement-shakes?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:c21e8851-8d3f-4755-b61f-1ba0c763504bPost:cd373bdb-5f0c-4d97-a777-32215c9d21f4">Re: Meal replacement shakes</a>:
    [QUOTE]Honestly... If you replace a meal with one of these, and lose the weight.. don't you think you'll stop replacing your meal and then just gain it all right back?  I am anti-meal replacement drinks... I don't see why you couldn't just make yourself a giant spinach salad with balsamic vinegar for dinner every night. So much better for you... and cheaper.. and something that is realistic to keep up...  Ok I'll get off my soap box now...  :o) 
    Posted by firsttimersluck[/QUOTE]

I've always been into healthy eating but i go through my rough months every year. I know about nutrition and I'm anti-meal replacements myself but i wanted to hear some experiences from actual people taking them and not a salesman trying to shove them down your throat.

I've always said that a shake cannot be healthy weightloss. A shake has an average of what 150 calories? no meal is going to be 150, or eating a 150 calorie dinner is not healthy. no in my book at least. lol.

Thanks for your comment...
  • edited November 2012
    I did body by vi for 2 weeks and lost about 8 lbs... and then I went on vacation, ate real food, and gained it all back.  I know one person that is on it currently and drinks the 2 shakes per day, and she has lost a ton of weight.  You will lose weight with it.  But then you'll put it back on if you decide to stop the shakes and eat real food.  The body by vi shakes are actually pretty tasty and there are tons of different flavor combos that you can make, and I know other people who drink them as a protein shake to supplement their diet/workout routine, but I personally don't recommend it as a long term option to losing weight.
  • I did the Visalus shakes last fall as a way to bust past a plateau, knowing that I'd have to work hard to keep any weight I lost off once I stopped the shakes. I only did a month and lost about 15lbs, which was great. I did manage to not put the weight back on, but since I went into it knowing that it was a temporary thing and I'd have to work to keep the results, I did just that. I busted my A@$ to keep those 15 off, and while I was drinking the shakes I was researching healthier eating for when I came off them again.

I still don't advocate them as a permanent solution, because PPs are right; as soon as you start eating the things you were eating before the weight will come back. The difference for me is that I didn't go back to eating the things I did before, and I started eating breakfast regularly. My choices are better now, simply because I did the research and know what my body needs/doesn't.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Agree with all of PPs.

I did medical weight loss and the diet consisted of all fake protein foods including shakes. I lost 90 lbs, gained most of it back when I started eating real food.

The only way I would recommend utilizing a protein shake in your diet is as a supplement, not as a replacement. If you're protein deficient going into a workout, I would see drinking a protein shake as a great way to give yourself a good level of energy to work out...as an every day thing though I don't think it's a good idea.
  • You ladies are great. Congratulation Jenny on keeping your weight off.

Thanks for shaking that idea out of my head. I'll just keep losing my 1 lb. a week.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_meal-replacement-shakes?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:c21e8851-8d3f-4755-b61f-1ba0c763504bPost:e4bf0d7e-5774-44fb-90f6-1d07927527fa">Re: Meal replacement shakes</a>:
    [QUOTE]Just for the record, I would almost kill for your 1 pound a week. I can't budge the scale. You're doing great.. Keep it up!!
    Posted by xcalygrl[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I did Herballife, the shakes and suppliments, the whole package It cost a fortune but it worked. I was down 35lbs. Then I had to take a break as my company closed unexpectidly and I couldnt afford them for a few months... I gained 20 lbs in 6 weeks because I ate real food instead. Shakes are one of those things that if you do them - you have to do them for the rest of your life. 

</div>
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_meal-replacement-shakes?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:c21e8851-8d3f-4755-b61f-1ba0c763504bPost:e4bf0d7e-5774-44fb-90f6-1d07927527fa">Re: Meal replacement shakes</a>:
    [QUOTE]Just for the record, I would almost kill for your 1 pound a week. I can't budge the scale. You're doing great.. Keep it up!!
    Posted by xcalygrl[/QUOTE]

Thank you. I'm so glad i found an encouragement board. Do you measure yourself? you might be dropping inches and not lbs.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_meal-replacement-shakes?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:c21e8851-8d3f-4755-b61f-1ba0c763504bPost:97eb0359-4bed-4da1-a188-bfde40927a21">Meal replacement shakes</a>:
    [QUOTE]Is anybody taking meal replacement shakes like Herbalife, Yor Health, Slim Fast, Visalus etc?. It sounds very promising but I haven't found anybody to give me real honest reviews. All conversations are basically to try to get me to buy and sell it. I'm not a fan of drinking my dinner but I'm really struggling with my last 15 lbs to lose. a few years ago, i lost weight and after my wedding, i've slowly gained back about 10. Is there a product someone recommends? I already changed my eating habits and i'm losing about 1 Lb a week but i've heard these shakes help you lose about 5 a week. I know that to lose a higher amount per week i must excercise more but this just sounds so easy and convenient. lol jk. I also know that it's a lifestyle change and i'd have to drink em forever to maintain......
    Posted by mcda04[/QUOTE]

<div>I did herbalife for about 2 months and lost 20 lbs. Doesn't sound healthy I KNOW, but I have a ton of medical issues which makes it hard for me to eat food without being in horrible pain as well as running to the bathroom getting sick or having to go... Herbalife helped so much, I could eat again (my one meal), and my body was getting the nutrition it needed so I started losing weight. Of course I'm poor though so I had to stop buying it. And let me just tell you, my body isn't happy about it.</div>
  • Oh, and ALSO... I haven't gained any of that weight back. I'm still losing though luckily! You just have to make sure you don't go crazy with what you eat when you stop the meal replacements.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_meal-replacement-shakes?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:c21e8851-8d3f-4755-b61f-1ba0c763504bPost:1017c164-7b23-4595-af8d-4fa8374cdd21">Re: Meal replacement shakes</a>:
    [QUOTE]You ladies are great. Congratulation Jenny on keeping your weight off. Thanks for shaking that idea out of my head. I'll just keep losing my 1 lb. a week.
    Posted by mcda04[/QUOTE]

Thanks!

1 lb a week is healthy and sustainable. That's awesome! When you do too much too fast, it doesn't stick. Sounds like you're on the right track!

Good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I know what you mean about drinking your meals...I want to eat my food, man!

I drink Shakeology and it's actually not bad.  It's low calorie enough where if you're active and you blend it with fruit, it can be a snack or part of a meal, not the whole thing.  Once you find a recipe you love, it's great.  I have been drinking it along with working out for a year and I have lost and kept off 60 lbs.  Shoot me an email so I can learn a little more about you/we can chat!  Turboteacake@gmail.com
  • mcda04 I haven't tried many shakes but what I do drink is Shakeology which isn't just a meal replacement I was stuck at a plateu for a long time and I decided to do Insanity and I started drinking shakeology not only did it give me energy, it aslo helped reduce my cravings for sweets, and the best thing it did for me was regulate my digestive system and banish that belly bloat I always felt I had. I was able to lose 10lbs. I don't see it as a temporary thing it's become part of lifestyle and you can mix the shake with almond milk and fruit to add more calories if you like you can add me on facebook www.facebook.com/brenda.urios so you can see some pics I posted of my before and after if you like.
  • I was just reading up on how drinking green tea is super good for you!!  : )  Helps boost your immune system and metabolism.  No sugar in it though...just plain and supposedly HOT is the best way to drink it..not iced.  I'm sure iced isnt bad though either.

i'm currently looking to lose weight..but my FIRST fitting for my dress is next weekend.  um yea.  Once that happens, you have to more or less maintain your weight, so it looks like I wont be trying to lose much until AFTER the wedding...
    Since the Holidays are here though, I need to be SUPER GOOD...ahh!!!  HELP!  any tips??
    I have a huge sweet tooth...sugar is my best friend and worst enemey.
    God is Faithful!
  • *Enemy- I can spell lol..

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_meal-replacement-shakes?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:238Discussion:c21e8851-8d3f-4755-b61f-1ba0c763504bPost:ed67c9a7-67af-4453-b27c-275f0cc1899a">Re: Meal replacement shakes</a>:
    [QUOTE]I was just reading up on how drinking green tea is super good for you!!  : )  Helps boost your immune system and metabolism.  No sugar in it though...just plain and supposedly HOT is the best way to drink it..not iced.  I'm sure iced isnt bad though either. i'm currently looking to lose weight..but my FIRST fitting for my dress is next weekend.  um yea.  Once that happens, you have to more or less maintain your weight, so it looks like I wont be trying to lose much until AFTER the wedding... Since the Holidays are here though, I need to be SUPER GOOD...ahh!!!  HELP!  any tips?? I have a huge sweet tooth...sugar is my best friend and worst enemey.
    Posted by WonderfulSavior[/QUOTE]
    God is Faithful!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards