Massachusetts-Cape Cod

Fiance being deployed in 6 weeks.

Hi ladies,

So I'm booked for a June wedding at Wequassett next summer.  Last night my fiance and I were told he is to be deployed in 6 weeks.  It was very unexpected and we're trying to figure out as much as we can as quickly as we can.

We're trying to figure out what we need to get done before he leaves...tux fitting, engagement photos etc.

We're probably going to get married in a small ceremony before he leaves...any thoughts on cheap, intimate ideas at the cape...inside the next 4 weeks (haha...crazy I know)

Also, any experiences with vendors being understanding of military situations?!  There is a small possibility he won't be back...currently he's due back just shy of our wedding date next year

Any help is appreciated!

xoxo

Re: Fiance being deployed in 6 weeks.

• edited December 2011
    I'm sorry you have to deal with all of this. I have no experience with vendors being understanding of military situations, but you'd expect they would be, especially with your wedding being almost a year off. 

We initially were going to have just an intimate wedding on the cape - if you google "cape cod intimate wedding" a few things come up - probably more would come up if you searched B&Bs. I have no experience with most of them, but we stayed at Brewster by the Sea for the week of our wedding and thought it was absolutely perfect. It is on 6A, thought, so in-season traffic may be an issue for a backyard wedding. 

I've also stayed at Ashley Manor in barnstable, and even though it's on 6A, it's set back, so the noise would be less of a problem:
    http://www.ashleymanor.net/index.html - there is nothing on their website about weddings, but i'm sure you could arrange something with them.

There was one place i found when i was looking (more than a year ago) that offered beach front weddings limited to 10 people, but i can't find it now - i think it was in the harwich/dennis area. 

And my last suggestion, would be Drummer Boy park in Brewster - the permit to have a small ceremony there is $50.

HTH
  • edited December 2011
    Oh my... I don't have experience with this but I have to say my heart goes out to your and your FI! One of my BM's had a small intimate ceremony a few months before her wedding (her husband is in the airforce). They used a local JP and just had close family and then did a big wedding later on as well and it worked out great for them.

I am getting married at the Beachmoor Inn next Sept, it's pretty small and you could prob. just rent the one room that overlooks the ocean to do your ceremony and maybe a Sunday afternoon reception would still be available? The woman that runs it, Rita, is fantastic and I'm sure she'd be happy to hep you. Or check out some of the other small B&Bs or restaraunts on the Cape as well. Good luck!
  • erocks22erocks22 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That truly sucks...sorry to hear.  I got married at Wychmere last summer and Karen Rood, the director is awesome, and will most likely understand your situation.  You may sitll be able to get married there, just in a much smaller ceremony.  They have the outside lawn and the smaller nantucket room upstairs you could use.  If not, try Wequesset.  They have package deals where you can do a wedding, just the two of you (and maybe a few guests) on site.  It may be on a Thur afternoon, but at least you still get the Cape feel.  There is so much to do leading up to a wedding, so you should check out The Big Book for Youre Big Day by Mindy Weiss.  its the Bible of all wedding books and has every possible thing in there you could imagine.  Good luck!
  • woodiewoodie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi!   Sorry to hear that you're fiance is being deployed so soon.

In Harwichport, there is a place:

http://www.harborbreezeinn.com/Getting%20Married.html

And here are some officiants:

http://www.capecodweddingofficiants.com/

Good luck! 
  • BunsCheer03BunsCheer03 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Im so sorry to hear about the deployment. My brother just got deployed and I know how stressful that alone can be. I dont know anything about vendors however for an intimate wedding there is a beautiful place in buzzards bay overlooking the canal. I think its actually called the overlook. Its a beautiful walkway that looks like it own wedding aisle with a deck overlooking the canal. Its always really well landscaped too. Good luck
  • CCBelATCCCBelATC member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you're still interested in having a formal ceremony, I'd talk to your venue about pushing back your date if possible. I'd hate for him to not make it back in time and you have to cancel the wedding. :(

I can second the pp about the elopements at Brewster By The Sea for getting married in the next couple weeks. Their website doesn't do them justice. Byron Cain is the owner and he and his wife are wonderful! They are good friends with one of my friends and personally gave me tons of ideas and suggestions when FI and I were looking for a venue on a tight budget. And he wasn't going to be getting our business! I can guarantee he would help you with all of the details (officiant, photographer, marriage license, etc) to get married on short notice.

Good luck!!
    BabyFruit Ticker Anniversary
    Visit CapeCod.Weddings.com Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    I am really sorry you got this news! It certainly does make things hectic.

I'm confused though. Are you keeping the wedding date next summer?
    Why are you having two weddings? Am I reading this wrong?
  • edited December 2011

That's horrible!  Look into Surf & Sand Motel.  They don't typically do weddings during on season months, but if it is going to be really small they may do it - it is a beautiful spot.  I'm assuming this quick wedding is just going to be an immediate family type of thing?

I would also definitely look into trying to push back your original date, whether you are able to do it at your current venue or not - not to be negative, but I know a few people who were deployed and had their tours extended once they were overseas.  It may be hard to stomach losing the deposit you've already paid, but that's nothing compared to the money you would be out if you started sending payments and then found out 6-8 weeks out that he won't be back in time.

Good luck with everything!

• BostonGirl114BostonGirl114 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    No sorry I see how it's confusing.  We are getting married before he goes just with our parents.  Then when he returns we will renew our vows in front of our whole family and friends and have a big reception.  We are going to end up moving the date next summer for the reception just to be safe.
  • sueflosueflo member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
     My great friend got married at the Belfrey Inn and bistro in Sandwich... Check it out ... a beauiful place.  It is an old church converted to an Inn... 
    Plus it is right in Sandwich and there is this beautiful pond and all these historical gardens around there...I thought it was perfect...
    the had maybe 80 guests.. 
    There are 7 rooms in the inn and they also own next door which is this big victorian ba and b... 

Best of luck ...really really! You take care and my prayers for everybody safe and sound!
  • sueflosueflo member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi again.. the one in Buzzaerd bay that the other person mentioned is the Beachmoor Inn..It is right near the Mass Maritime college and also very nice... the owner is Rita... mybe also a possibility.

Love and Luck... 

ps spend the difference in your big wedding money on a couple of laptops with skype  it keeps me sane!!!!!
  • edited December 2011
    Hi--

If you are looking for small and affordable, Harbor Point in Yarmouth is a great choice.  Beautiful old estate with waterviews.  Plates are approx. $30/ per person...can't beat that on Cape Cod.'

Best of luck and please thank you FI for his service.  Bless you both!

--Kelly
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards