40-Plus Brides

veil?

Is anyone wearing a veil?

I will be 43 when I get married and its not my first wedding. Is it crazy to think about wearing a veil?

Counting the days until I marry the man of my dreams. Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: veil?

• You should also visit the Second Weddings board--those of us who've been married before are on that board, too! 

Ok, so back to your question.  Lots of second wedding ladies wear veils--I didn't wear one, but that's because it would have looked silly with my dress.  I think if you want to wear one, you should. 
    image Don't mess with the old dogs; age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! BS and brilliance only come with age and experience.
  • I did not wear a veil for either my first wedding or my second wedding.  The last time I wore a white lace veil was in 2nd grade for my First Holy Communion.  In fact, that was the last time I wore a white poufy dress, as well.

Hmmm ... I don't know if it's crazy to think about wearing a veil.  Maybe I don't understand why it would be a big deal (or crazy).  If you want to wear a veil, go for it.  If you don't, skip it.  I must be missing something.

Handfast, someone ... fill me in, please.  And, thank you.
  • thank you for the replies!  I guess I was afraid it was too much "young first time bride like"
  • I wore a veil.  I was 41 on the time of our wedding.  I hated and loathed that damn thing and could not get it off my head fast enough.  I look better in the pictures without it.  It was in my way constantly.    And I insisted on wearing it.  

Go to a bridal store, put on a veil and wear it for more than the five minutes that I wore mine in the store.  If you love it still, go for it.  
  • vexievexie member
    First Comment
    I was married last summer (my second time too) and this was something I went back and forth on for a long time.  Originally I did not plan on wearing one, but just a few weeks before the wedding I changed my mind and bought a veil... I found I just didn't feel 'bridal' without one (not to mention it worked wonders to hide my backfat on the day hahaha)  I didn't wear a blusher, instead just tucked it in under the up-do.  I felt great!
    84image 73image 11image Wedding date: June 11, 2011 :)
  • I'll be 43 on my wedding day - also a first marriage.  Not only am I wearing a veil for the church ceremony, but I plan on wearing it through the reception as well.  (I have a strapless dress, and would feel just a little less naked).  I say go with whatever you think complements your look!
  • No.  I'm in the south, where WHITE gets a side-eye but it's accepted begrungingly, but VEIL would get guests elbowing each other during the procession.  There are other things you can do with your hair, like a flower or jeweled hair band.

• 2dBride2dBride member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    I wore a veil for my second wedding, which occurred on my 56th birthday.  And my wife, who was 41 at the time, also wore a veil.  If you want to wear one, go ahead!
  • I intially said I did not want a veil (first wedding and I am 40).  My mother turned into "you have to have one" but I said no.  My BFF/MOH went with me to try on dresses and when I told her I didn't want a veil she kind of jumped on the veil band waggon with my mom.  She made me try one on and I changed my mind.  I agree with the post that it made me feel more bridal.  I plan on removing it for the reception.  

My mother was born and raised in the south and I have lived here for almost 30 years and I have never heard or been to a wedding where the wearing of a veil was considered poor taste.  White dress will get you plenty of raised eyebrows around here but I look horrible in white anyway!!!  Also I have a child (who is in the wedding) so I think the secret of my virginity is kind of out of the bag already!

I would suggest you try one on and see how you feel you look in it and make your decision from there.  I fell in love with mine and it looks beautiful with my dress.  
    Love isn't finding a perfect person. It's seeing an imperfect person perfectly. ~ Sam Keen
  • 2dBride2dBride member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    oneday12:  My two grown children were the attendants at my wedding, and my ex-husband gave the blessing over bread.  Notwithstanding the ivory wedding dress and the veil, I think the secret about my virginity was out.  LOL
  • Whatever makes you feel beautiful!
  • Everyone should do what makes them happy, if they decide to wear a veil or not. As for me, I was born and raised in north Florida and I'm marrying in NC. I come from a family bursting with traditional ideas and I am wearing one without the blusher, personally, I don't like them. This is my second marriage and I don't care what people think. It's my money, my wedding, my day. Who makes these rules anyway? I understand tradition but really???  It's good to review history and culture and the traditions that came from the various times. During the Victorian era "table skirts" were used to cover the legs of a table. The idea was that men would see the legs of said table and because women's legs were NEVER seen publicly...well, you can imagine the rest. Modern culture is anything but traditional, I watched an M&M strip down to his inner layer and I laughed myself to tears...repeatedly!  I think we worry too much about other people and less about ourselves. Veils and weddings go together, it's the first thing that comes to mind when I hear the word "bride". I say, do what you know will make you feel fabulous on your wedding day. :-)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thanks again everyone!!  A friend offered to give me her veil, so I am going to put it on and see how it looks. If I like it, I will wear it :)
  • This is my second wedding and FI's first. I'm wearing a birdcage for the ceremony and taking it off after pictures. Then I will wear a smallish tiara, because the dress is strapless and I just fell in love with the tiara! I'm 45. My daughters have both told me that they want the tiara for when they get married and think that the birdcage veil is awesome.

Good luck with your wedding! I'm sure it will be special and spectacular!

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_40-plus-brides_veil?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:69dea60c-2319-4015-8380-4a5cc0f18476Discussion:35cf75fe-e20f-4ba4-93db-3db16a4156bePost:c7c2df58-5b05-4921-a9d8-b3d3857e0370">Re: veil?</a>:
    [QUOTE]No.  I'm in the south, where WHITE gets a side-eye but it's accepted begrungingly, but VEIL would get guests elbowing each other during the procession.  There are other things you can do with your hair, like a flower or jeweled hair band.
    Posted by Kristin789[/QUOTE]

Oh my head Kristin, oh my head, if you are the type of friend who really would sit there and side-eye a friend and/or elbow each other just because she is wearing white, or GASP a veil, you are not really a friend.  You are a two faced mean spirited person.  Get down off your high horse and unbutton your judgy pants, me thinks they are a little too tight for you!
  • RE:  ski2play

Where in my post did I say that I agreed with these cultural customs? 
    In fact, my post says the opposite:
    that I am NOT from the South but I live here now and I have noticed that the culture customs here are very different from other regions, and then I gave two examples of these culture customs that I DISAGREE WITH but are common in this region.
  • My mistake Kristin, although I must admit, even though I have reread your post several times, what you said is not what I read.  Where in your post did you actually say you disagreed with them?

"where WHITE gets a side-eye but it's accepted begrungingly, but VEIL would get guests elbowing each other during the procession" = cultural customs?   They sound to me like rude people who are unhappy in their own lives so they make fun of others.

We will have to agree to disagree on this one.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_40-plus-brides_veil?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:69dea60c-2319-4015-8380-4a5cc0f18476Discussion:35cf75fe-e20f-4ba4-93db-3db16a4156bePost:f4aa0e14-3642-48db-836f-764523c06a25">veil?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Is anyone wearing a veil? I will be 43 when I get married and its not my first wedding. Is it crazy to think about wearing a veil?
    Posted by ladydaisy[/QUOTE]

I will be 43 when I get married and it will be my first.  Even though we are having a very small ceremony, I still wanted to wear the wedding dress and the veil.  It will make me feel very special that day.
  • I'm in the veil business and I view the veil as the icing on the cake!  We make more unconventional veils - headpieces, fascinators, juliet caps...Weddings are more about individual taste now and not so much about following the crowd!  I wore a pouf veil that I made with a russian netting blusher for my wedding in June 2012.  You can find a unique veil out there that will be perfect! 

Best Wishes!
    Rice Rafferty Couture Accessories
    www.ricerafferty.etsy.com
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards