Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Need some advise about the in laws

I posted something more like a vent on my month board about this, but you ladies give such great advise, I thought maybe you could help me out.

When we first got engaged, FI's parents offered to pay for their guests to our wedding, but only if we had a full Hindu ceremony, invited the number of people they wanted, got married in NY (we live in NH), and only if they had approval of anything we bought before we bought it.  We declined the offer since it had so many string attached.  My parents graciously stepped forward and offered to pay so that we could have a wedding everyone would be happy with.  My parents have never offered an opinion on anything wedding related, unless asked, and are letting us having the wedding that we want.

Originally we wanted to get married with a JP with 50 people for cocktails and apps in the afternoon for a couple of hours.  FI's parents were horrified by this suggestion.  So we are now inviting 165 with a full meal in the evening.  Then they said that they wanted there to be multiple vegetarian options since so many of their family is vegetarian.  Fine, we found a place to accommodate that.  Then they wanted their to be Indian food served, so we had to find a place to accommodate that.  Then they wanted a full Hindu ceremony, but we compromised and are incorporating some Hindu elements into a ceremony.  We set a guest list with them before we booked the venue and they were totally fine with it.  8 months later, they wanted to invite 25 more people.  We compromised and invited 10 more people.

Now 8 other people have invited themselves to our wedding and in Indian culture it's considered rude not to invite people when they invite themselves (supposedly).  FFIL had a contusion when we refused to invite these people.  FSIL overheard this blow up and proceeded to lecture FI and I about how disrespectful we're being and how we should invite them since her parents are planning on giving us a big present for the wedding (ummm that's the first I've heard of that) and that money would cover any extra costs.  I finally just told her that this wasn't her business and she needed to butt out.

The next day FSIL sent my FI an email saying that he's forgotten his roots and how to be Indian and that he's being rude blah blah blah.  FI and I decided we weren't going to engage her in this since it wasn't her business.  A week later, FSIL texted FI and asked about the email- his only response was that this wasn't her place to get involved.

FI talked to his mom and she said that she understood that no more people would be invited and she had handled it with the dad.

Today I got another email from FSIL saying that she talked to her dad and he still thinks everything is unresolved.  She went on this total guilt trip about how disrespectful we were and how this was all bullsh*t about the guest list being set- that for her wedding they changed things until the last few weeks.  The email went on and on.

What do you think we should do about FSIL?  She's a thorn in my side and I'm over it.  What about the parents?  I feel like we're having this huge wedding just to make them happy, but they're still not happy.  I'm at the end of my rope.  Why do people get so crazy about weddings?!  Sorry this was so long!

May 2013 February Siggy: Invitations

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Need some advise about the in laws

• Options
    edited November 2012
    I feel for you. While I didn't have the exact situation, I dealt with what felt like a million issues similar when I got married the first time. (Thankfully this wedding seems to be low stress thus far.)
    My exSIL was the same way about things, and in the end my in-laws pushed so many things down our throats that I actually hated most of my wedding.
    My advice is this. You and your FI need to unite (as it seems you have thus far) on what you want, and what you are willing to compromise on. (Though it seems you've done plenty of compromising already). I understand family dynamics can be difficult, especially when joining different cultures, but the reality is that there is no rule saying you HAVE to do things the way they are asking you to. If it is going to create a lifelong problem, and you are able to accommodate the few extras within the capacity of your venue and budget, I would say it's probably better to just invite the extra 8, with the understanding that there will be no more changes. If you venue or budget cannot accommodate for the additions, then kindly say that you unfortunately are not able to do so, and go from there.
    I feel for you, and wish you luck! Let us know how it turns out!

::edit:: I just wanted to add that I totally agree with PPs about letting your FI be the one to handle the situation, whatever it is you two decide to do.
    Praying for a miracle!
  • Options
    So far it does seem to be that he is handling it. FSIL contacted you when she didn't like the response she got from her brother to stay out of it. He may have to be more aggressive in his handling of it, but it is definitely wise for you to stay out of it. And ugh....so sorry you are having this drama!
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    I agree with PPs but did she send the email directly to you or to a joint account (you and your FI).  If she sent it to you then I think you shouldn't ignore her but at least reply that you got her email and with it being a very delicate subject at the moment you are going to defer to your FI and forward her concerns and all future emails of this variety on to him or she can feel free to contact him directly. 
  • Options
    Honedtly, they're being aweful. If I was in your shoes, I would probably snap and tell them they've been so hurtful that Im just eloping and no ceremony is happening at all. But that probably wouldn't resolve anything. Good luck, things will eventually work out.
    Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• Options
    I would let your FI go talk to his family on his own. She's being BSC and needs to be put in her place.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I agree with PP's about defering to FI when it's his family that's going bananas. I also agree that you should reply to FSIL and direct her towards FI. I'm sorry they're putting you through this poopoo after you've already done so much to accomodate their wants
     Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I'm so glad to hear that everyone agrees with us here.  So far, FI has always been to one to deal with his family, but I feel so angry right now.  I think the issue is that FI feels like that no one is listening to him and they just keep at it!  I'm going crazy.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    And ooops I did send her email email back (it was to both of our email accounts) and snapped a bit.  It wasn't the best decision, but part of me is glad that I put her in her place myself for once.  I guess I felt this: if she was going to send me an email to my account, she could hear my thoughts.  If she had continued only communicating with FI, then I would have stayed out.  

FSIL, her husband, and both the parents are coming to visit next weekend.  God help me.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_need-some-advise-about-the-in-laws?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:3fe583ac-dda3-41ba-8688-40c5a68a8c39Post:335adeff-decb-475f-9cf6-6cb1c0c1cc25">Re: Need some advise about the in laws</a>:
    [QUOTE]And ooops I did send her email email back (it was to both of our email accounts) and snapped a bit.  It wasn't the best decision, but part of me is glad that I put her in her place myself for once.  I guess I felt this: if she was going to send me an email to my account, she could hear my thoughts.  If she had continued only communicating with FI, then I would have stayed out.   FSIL, her husband, and both the parents are coming to visit next weekend.  God help me.
    Posted by melb2013[/QUOTE]

Well I'm all for trying to keep the peace but if FSIL gets out of hand and can't hold her disrespectful tongue at you and FI's house you are definitely going to have to check her and may even have to invite them to get a breath of fresh air by kindly leaving your house!  No one has the right to do that in your home.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_need-some-advise-about-the-in-laws?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:3fe583ac-dda3-41ba-8688-40c5a68a8c39Post:8b93af1b-7cb9-4503-8a3e-7eb4bb45f431">Re: Need some advise about the in laws</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm so glad to hear that everyone agrees with us here.  So far, FI has always been to one to deal with his family, but I feel so angry right now. <strong> I think the issue is that FI feels like that no one is listening to him and they just keep at it!</strong>  I'm going crazy.

Of course they keep at it -- look at your original post. You turned down their offer to pay so you could do things your way, but even though they aren't paying, any time they aren't happy with something they whine and cry and you guys eventually cave in and give them what they want. Keeping at it works for them.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_need-some-advise-about-the-in-laws?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:3fe583ac-dda3-41ba-8688-40c5a68a8c39Post:5ba3dc10-fd95-4ce8-b1a6-334b7251839c">Re: Need some advise about the in laws</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Need some advise about the in laws : Of course they keep at it -- look at your original post.<strong> You turned down their offer to pay so you could do things your way, but even though they aren't paying, any time they aren't happy with something they whine and cry and you guys eventually cave in and give them what they want</strong>. Keeping at it works for them.
    Posted by zitiqueen[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I didn't think about it this way.  You are completely right, but they think that we haven't given in to them at all.  This is exhausting.

<div>
    </div></div>

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    If FSIL isn't listening to your FI to stay out of it, I'd advise him to just respond to every email, "Thanks FSIL. We'll keep this in mind." 

Also, I wonder if FSIL is intentionally getting your FFIL riled up. It seems when your FI talks to your FMIL, everything is fine, but FSIL is mixing things up with FFIL? Have FI talk to FFIL to make sure he's okay too. Then ignore everything FSIL says to you about the wedding. 
  • Options
    FSIL is creating drama for her own entertainment.  

I think your FI has the right idea about just shutting her down and telling her it isn't her business.  If she's in your house, I would have him tell her that she can change the subject or she can leave.  With his parents, I think the time really has come for you both to put your foot down and refuse to "compromise" anymore.  He should tell them that you're done giving in, and refuse to discuss the wedding with them any further.  

For you individually, I think you're best to go to a line like "FI and I have talked about this already, and he's already told you what we are doing."  Then you aren't the bad guy and it isn't up for discussion.  
  • Options
    pearlaquapearlaqua member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited November 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_need-some-advise-about-the-in-laws?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:3fe583ac-dda3-41ba-8688-40c5a68a8c39Post:9743b56f-42f2-419f-83ed-aa96d8ed9a43">Re: Need some advise about the in laws</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Need some advise about the in laws : I didn't think about it this way.  You are completely right, <strong>but they think that we haven't given in to them at all.</strong>  This is exhausting.

<div>Tell them.  Tell them what you told us, that you wanted a JOP, afternoon wedding and now you're having something much closer to their original vision.  They might be upset, but boo hoo.  They're not the first cultural family to marry an American. They'll get over it.  </div><div>
    </div><div>They're bullying you and playing the culture card.</div><div>
    </div><div>Would the reverse scenario ever play out? No.  Hindu girl marries White, American guy, her parents are paying.  White parents insist on pot luck BBQ reception (featuring beef!), littering the invites with registry cards, and other ETIQUETTE faux pas? Nope.  Your ILs are  hiding their bullying behind some veneer of tradition, but they're in America now and it is rude for people to invite themselves to weddings.</div><div>
    </div><div>(I was being a bit silly with my example, but you get my drift)</div>
  • Options
    Also! Good luck standing up to your ILs about the way you raise your children if you don't stand up them on the wedding issues. 

Good luck!
  • Options
    melb2013melb2013 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited November 2012
    You all had great advise and I feel much better reading these responses.  

FI talked to his dad, and his dad knew that we weren't inviting more more people and had no intention of bringing it up again.  The sister was just stirring up drama for the heck of it.  FI's stance is to ignore and not engage her.  I have a harder time with that.  His dad was still not happy about the situation, but is accepting it.  For now... we'll see...  That sister will be the death of me.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    sounds like some culture clash that could take a long time to resolve.  Any way you could have two weddings, one Hindu and the other the way you like it?  
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_need-some-advise-about-the-in-laws?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:3fe583ac-dda3-41ba-8688-40c5a68a8c39Post:b6da13f1-292a-4e39-86cd-6fc2e559b935">Re: Need some advise about the in laws</a>:
    [QUOTE]sounds like some culture clash that could take a long time to resolve.  Any way you could have two weddings, one Hindu and the other the way you like it?  
    Posted by FloridaMichelle[/QUOTE]

Michelle, do you mean two CEREMONIES? or two WEDDINGS? There's a big difference.

To have a morning ceremony, and afternoon ceremony and an evening reception is fine- a PITA for guest, but if it's necessary, its understandable.

A person cannot, however have two weddings- you only get one day and that's it. Suggesting two weddings is also demeaning the intelligence of her guests- the couple will already be married for the second one, and to play like they aren't is insulting. The advice, as written, is terrible terrible etiquette and I hope I am misinterpreting what you typed.
     Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Yes, I agree, they keep behaving this way because it gets them what they want. And the icing on the cake is thay they don't even have to pay for anything. Just tantrum, and be nasty, and everything they want is theirs.
    Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_need-some-advise-about-the-in-laws?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:3fe583ac-dda3-41ba-8688-40c5a68a8c39Post:da1475b0-0393-4c0a-a993-9c139d1d1c3b">Re: Need some advise about the in laws</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Need some advise about the in laws : Michelle, do you mean two CEREMONIES? or two WEDDINGS? There's a big difference. To have a morning ceremony, and afternoon ceremony and an evening reception is fine- a PITA for guest, but if it's necessary, its understandable. A person cannot, however have two weddings- you only get one day and that's it. Suggesting two weddings is also demeaning the intelligence of her guests- the couple will already be married for the second one, and to play like they aren't is insulting. The advice, as written, is terrible terrible etiquette and I hope I am misinterpreting what you typed.
    Posted by sydaries[/QUOTE]

<div>Originally, they wanted us to have to WEDDINGS- an Indian one for their family in NY that they would pay for, and whatever we wanted here that we would pay for.  We totally refused that.  How absurd.</div><div>
    </div><div>In every single situation I've heard of a Hindu and non-Hindu person marrying, they always have to separate ceremonies.  Not only would it be super expensive-  buy two completely different outfits, hire two different officiants, and pay for space for two different ceremonies (money that just isn't there!), we just plain didn't like the idea.  For us, getting married was about blending our cultures, not keeping them separated... We definitely had fights with his parents about that situation that ended with FI saying "we were only doing anything Hindu to respect you.  If you aren't going to be happy with it, we won't do anything Hindu at all."  That shut them up about that.</div><div>
    </div><div>Now that I look back on all the fights, I can't believe we're still on the wedding track and having eloped yet!  </div>

Wedding Countdown Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards