Moms and Maids

future sister-in-laws

Hi everyone, my FI has 3 sisters who I all love, but I really only know 1 of them b/c I see her the most....his other 2 sisters live a plane ride away and I've only seen them a handful of times since we've been together...I love them all, but I don't know what to do in terms of my wedding party.....I want all of his sisters to be involved some how, but do they all have to be bridesmaids?  can 2 of them do readings, and 1 be in the bridal party b/c I know her best, or do I have all 3 do readings, and just have my friends and my own sister-in-law in the bridal party?  I just don't know what to do b/c I love them all, I just don't know them all well.....other than bridesmaids and readers, their really isn't any other role they could play...I don't want to hurt their feelings....please help me :-)

Re: future sister-in-laws

• edited December 2011
    How can you love them so much when you don't really know them. No they don't need to be BMs.
  • edited December 2011

You can pick whoever you want in the bridal party, I have TONS of bff's seriously and I picked four for my party (that was my limit cause the FI said so lol) and my other close pals I plan on having them as Honorary Bridesmaids they just wont be walking down the aisle or putting on a dress. Ill mention everyone in the program, how much I love them ect ect ect.

you can have them help with anything just ask them what they want to help with.

My Shoes :)Photobucket
  • AutumnFairAutumnFair member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That is a tough situation. Personally, if they are nice ladies and you like them, make them BMs (I know it might be a larger party) or have your FI have them on his side, either way, I would have them in the WP just to keep the peace.
  • AutumnFairAutumnFair member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_future-sister-laws?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:357Discussion:23de0e38-18eb-4b64-8012-34766659b29fPost:1467af74-1c98-4079-a9a3-0e1886130509">Re: future sister-in-laws</a>:
    [QUOTE]You can pick whoever you want in the bridal party, I have TONS of bff's seriously and I picked four for my party (that was my limit cause the FI said so lol) and my other close pals I plan on having them as Honorary Bridesmaids they just wont be walking down the aisle or putting on a dress. Ill mention everyone in the program, how much I love them ect ect ect. you can have them help with anything just ask them what they want to help with.
    Posted by CaseyandSalley[/QUOTE]

<div>You should have stood your ground. Your FI has ZERO right on how many people YOU can choose for your side. He was totally out of line for you to do that. And "honorary" is only used when the person is not physically there so your terminology is incorrect, just don't list them if they are not actual bridesmaids.</div>
  • edited December 2011
    Im awsome with four, its a good idea

Ill take your advice about the honorary tho. Good idea
    My Shoes :)Photobucket
  • briawnabriawna member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have this EXACT same dilemma.  My wedding is in 34 days.  This is how I solved it and so far it has been wonderful!

Sister I am closest to is a bridesmaid, and she lives about 20 minutes away from FI and I.  His other two sisters live more than an hour away and are Ushers at the wedding.  Everyone has been super happy with everything because of how I handled it.  I sent a hand written letter on nice stationary to his other two sisters asking them to be Ushers at the wedding and explaining the importance of this role and emphasizing that this constitutes being part of the wedding party at large.

The bridesmaid sister is of course wearing a bridesmaids' dress, but I scheduled specific appointments to go shopping with the other two sisters to buy grey dresses (our neutral color) for them to wear and I am having blue sashes made for them that are the same fabric and color as the bridesmaids dresses.

They have a specific role, have been involved and have been clearly communicated to so they always knew/understood their role.
    Mostly, people just hate being on the fringes or in limbo.  If you communicate a unique and specific role to each sister and help her feel like part of the "group" on the day of, everyone will be happy.
  • dpierskidpierski member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My FI has 2 sisters and so do I...Thats 4 right there not including my bff's, so we have 7 in our bridal party. His side is all friends because he has no brothers and I have one. I think its kinda unfair but we can't help that we both have so many sisters
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards