Wedding Invitations & Paper
Options

Square Invitations

So, I fell in love with these invitations but they only come in SQAURE.  This means extra postage and hassle.  I'm just curious why anyone would select square invites? Is there some wow factor that I'm missing with these? I don't see any advantage to this shape over regular mailable shapes - unless of course I'm missing something that is conveyed via square invitations?

Re: Square Invitations

• Options
    Just preference.  In the big scheme of wedding things, the extra cost for postage on the invites might not be noticeable for some people.  Also, maybe they got a really good deal on square ones that negates the cost of the extra postage vs any non-square ones they like.

Or maybe they like them well enough to be totally worth every penny of the extra. 

Same as why one bride gets a $600 dress and another gets a $6000 dress.  Just cause they wanted to.
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • Options

Thanks for the info.  I definitely like them enough to pay the exta postage, which as you point out, is miniscule in the grand scheme.  I was just wondering if there was something else "special" about square that I'm missing.  Guess not!

• Options
    Nope, it's just personal preference. 
  • Options
    Just aesthetics. Some people might like the way the invitation looks laid out on a square matte. Or their theme/decoration fits better on a square invitation.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    I went with square and really just liked the shape of them.

I'm also finding that square seems to be catching on in cards overall.

"You can take your etiquette and shove it!" ~misscarolb
  • Options
    Square cards are pretty big in the card industry. When I make cards, I often make squares because it's easier to cut a 12x12 sheet in half to make 2 6x6 cards rather than wasting paper to make a 5x7.

Almost all the cards I have in my go-to card box are square or round, lol. I just like them because they aren't standard.
    planning

• Options
    I bought square invitations.  I liked the way they looked and they were less expensive than my other favorite (rectangular) invitations that I was considering.  So although the postage costs extra, they are still a little less expensive than what my non-square choice would have been.
  • Options
    Lisa50Lisa50 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited September 2010
    It seems odd that you cannot have the invitations modified from square to rectangular.  Most vendors make accommodations for that kind of change.  You may be able to find another stationer who can make the invitation in the size/layout you prefer.

I am choosing square invitations because the text looks better, less choppy, laid out on a square format; it gives our invitations a less familiar look and feel; and it gives us room to have an embellishment without sacrificing space for text.

Its all about personal preference.  Both my fiance and I are consistently drawn to square invitations.  Maybe we've just seen so many rectangular invitations that we just want something different.  Whatever the reason, we're going for it!
  • Options
    The difference in postage for square vs. rectangular envelope is .20 cents. Unless you are on a SUPER super tight budget, I don't think it's worth worrying about.  If you like the square invites, go for it!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards