Wedding Party
Options

:'( Finding bridesmaids

I am totally overwhelmed by everything having to do with the wedding, but (hopefully) it will all work itself out in time. What really concerns me is the fact that I really don't have many female friends. I have a maid of Honor who will get to the wedding, or die trying, which is a blessing, but I dont have any idea for bridesmaids. 
I have a few friends from highschool that I could ask, but it's been several years since then, and I wouldn't really consider them as close friends anymore. Also, the fact that they are all in Alaska, but the wedding is being held in Oregon might prove complicated. I'm not fond of the idea of asking someone I haven't really seen or talked to in 3 years (except for winter breaks)  to spend money to come all the way down to OR, and I certainly can't afford that. 
Would it be wierd to ask old roommates or people I don't really hang out with to be bridesmaids? I could ask my sisters, but I don't really picture them when I imagine my perfect wedding. ANY advice would be appreciated!!

Re: :'( Finding bridesmaids

• Options
    You don't have to have bridesmaids. You could just have the MOH. My good friend is getting married in May and I am her attendant, her fiancé also has one attendant. If you're worried about even numbers, you don't need even numbers. HTH. Good luck.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    You know, bridesmaids aren't required, right?  You and your fiance could stand up there just the two of you.  A wedding party is NOT a requirement!  Personally, no, I don't think you should ask those who aren't near and dear to your heart to be in your wedding party when they aren't that close to you.  Also, you say you don't have many female friends...  Do you have male friends who are close?  Ask them!  But please -- don't have a wedding party just because the wedding industry tells you to.
  • Options
    You don't have to have bridesmaids. Or you can ask male friends to stand with you. 

• Options
    My sister only had me standing  on her side at the wedding, and her husband didn't even have anyone on his.  I promise we weren't hit by meteors, earthquakes, or general apocolyptic punishments for not having a huge wedding party.
    Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• Options
    You don't need any bridesmaids.  You don't need even sides.  And remember, with small wedding parties the coordination of everything is generally easier and the stress levels are often a lot lower.  :D  Good luck!
  • Options
    I'm only having one bridesmaid. It's not a big deal at all. As PPs said, you can also have men stand up for you. 
  • Options
    I'm only having one attendant and it's a guy.  Having one bridesmaid is no big deal.

May 2013 February Siggy: Invitations

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    You shouldn't have to "find" bridesmaids. You pick your nearest and dearest. If that is one woman (or man) or 4, it doesn't matter. I only had 2, and my husband had just one, and she is a woman. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    Don't ask people you hardly have contact with. If you only have one close friend, then you only have one person. It's really fine to just have one.
  • Options
    We only had a MOH and BM. Three other weddings I've been to recently only had a MOH and BM as well. Trust me, you will feel weirder having a few randos standing up there in matching gowns, then just having your one close friend.
  • Options
    FSIL had a MOH and no other bridesmaids at her wedding last year. Her husband also had one attendant. It was fine. Sounds like you should do the same if you have one person you're really close with
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I know it must feel like you have to have lots of BMs because there are billions of pictures that show that, but it's really not necessary at all. I went to a wedding last week where there was one maid of honor and it was really lovely. Pick people who you are really comfortable with so you can be happy to have them by your side on the day. 
    Visit The Knot!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards