Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

walking down the isle by myself

hi everyone,

i dont have a relationship with my dad - it's not like i hate him or anything but i just dont have a "relationship" with him. And obviously he doesnt really care about my wedding either - he can care less about contributing any money for it.

Do you think it's OK to walk down the isle by myself? Has anyone done it?

Re: walking down the isle by myself

• Totally ok to walk yourself!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_walking-down-the-isle-by-myself?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:2edc9868-e74c-4518-b8da-23717367f64fPost:0168e9dd-2ed4-4a3d-b82e-ae6e7cae726a">walking down the isle by myself</a>:
    [QUOTE]hi everyone, i dont have a relationship with my dad - it's not like i hate him or anything but i just dont have a "relationship" with him.<strong> And obviously he doesnt really care about my wedding either - he can care less about contributing any money for it.</strong> Do you think it's OK to walk down the isle by myself? Has anyone done it?
    Posted by ecinus[/QUOTE]

I don't know you or your dad and there might be past issues that we are unaware of. However the bolded really bothered me. You understand no one, not even your parents, are obligated to pay for your wedding, right? And that just because someone can't/won't help pay for YOUR wedding, it is not indicative of their feelings for you? It is your wedding; YOU should pay for it.

However, if besides the money thing, you and your dad don't get along or what not, it is perfectly fine to walk down the aisle by yourself.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • You can definitely walk by yourself or with your grandpa or a favourite uncle or your mom or anyone. Your choice, there are no rules here.
  • Ditto Summer. I hope you aren't only honoring or including people who are financially contributing to your wedding. He can be involved in other ways if you would like him to be.

Ultimately up to you, but I hope this isn't your only criteria.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • kipnuskipnus member
    First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary
    It's aisle, and yes, you can walk by yourself. However, if you have any plans to rekindle your relationship, you might want to see how your dad feels about it. He may not be overtly excited about your wedding, but some dads dream of walking their daughters down the aisle and would be really disappointed if that wasn't in the plans.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_walking-down-the-isle-by-myself?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:2edc9868-e74c-4518-b8da-23717367f64fPost:0168e9dd-2ed4-4a3d-b82e-ae6e7cae726a">walking down the isle by myself</a>:
    [QUOTE]hi everyone, i dont have a relationship with my dad - it's not like i hate him or anything but i just dont have a "relationship" with him. And obviously he doesnt really care about my wedding either - he can care less about contributing any money for it. Do you think it's OK to walk down the isle by myself? Has anyone done it?
    Posted by ecinus[/QUOTE]

Just because your dad isn't contributing money doesn't mean he doesn't care about your wedding. Don't act so entitled.

It's okay to walk yourself down the <u><em><strong>a</strong></em></u>isle. My friend did it because she was in her 30's and didn't feel like her dad needed to give her away. They were very close, but it was just something she chose...
  • i'm walking by myself!! 

i actually think parents should at least offer to help pay for a wedding, depending on the age and life stage of their children. 
  • I walked down by myself and wouldn't change that decision.  I felt that I was making a statement that I was no one's property to "give away" and that I was coming to this ceremony of my own free will. 
  • aragx6aragx6 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited June 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_walking-down-the-isle-by-myself?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:36Discussion:2edc9868-e74c-4518-b8da-23717367f64fPost:4432044b-f75a-4630-9dc6-3eab2a9b8fa9">Re: walking down the isle by myself</a>:
    [QUOTE]i'm walking by myself!!  i actually think parents should at least offer to help pay for a wedding, depending on the age and life stage of their children. 
    Posted by christinavy[/QUOTE]

Well that's certainly entitled of you.
    Lizzie
  • I had my mom walk me the first time (my dad was deceased). I am walking by myself this time. I think it is perfectly fine to walk by yourself.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My sister and I were raised by my mom (our daad dies very yound as did our step dad years later). My sister had my mom walk her down the isle and I plan on doing the same. If you want to walk by yourself and thats what works for you then do that. Anything you choose will be right because its your day and you need to do what is right for you and your FI. :)
  • It's friggin' AISLE. Unless you're walking down the Isle of Wight or some shiiit.

I'm probably walking down the aisle by myself. I want FI to walk down with me, but we're still figuring out the logistics and he's not sure if he wants to do that. I don't think there's anything wrong with walking down by yourself.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I am walking down the aisle by myself only because both my parents are deceased.I will have a picture of them tied to my bridal bouquet. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_walking-down-the-isle-by-myself?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:36Discussion:2edc9868-e74c-4518-b8da-23717367f64fPost:4034b0f8-d85f-4aa3-a984-7a17354ec8d2">Re: walking down the isle by myself</a>:
    [QUOTE]I walked down by myself and wouldn't change that decision.  I felt that I was making a statement that I was no one's property to "give away" and that I was coming to this ceremony of my own free will. 
    Posted by Kristin789[/QUOTE]

I am planning to do the same :) I will be 32 when we get married next year, we've been together 8 years, and our daughter is 6. I feel it's silly for me to have someone else "give me away." I already have my family; we're just making it legal :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards