Honeymoon Discussions

We finally settled on Puerto Vallarta!

We are looking at a condo/house to rent for the week. We are trying to keep it under $3,000 total for food, lodging, airfare, and entertainment. So far that is pretty easy. Most of the hotels are kind of run down looking and at the top of our budget. Any other ideas from those who have been there?

Also a few other questions:
~Is the water okay to drink? (Tripadvisor said it is some of the cleanest in Mexico, but didn't say it was safe....) We aren't picky, but we don't want to get sick. We can buy some at Walmart if we need to.
~How much exchanged money do/did you bring? I read that there are ATMs, but I am not sure if we should pack all we need. We have never traveled out of the country.

Any tips or advice? Anything you recommend doing or seeing. Anything we should stay away from?

Thanks in advance!
Fawn :)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: We finally settled on Puerto Vallarta!

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_finally-settled-puerto-vallarta?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:e1cefeab-6cfb-4acd-9db5-70891d7b857bPost:ccbe64fb-2717-42a7-90b5-723db4c43c59">Re: We finally settled on Puerto Vallarta!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Fawn,    Do not drink the water in Mexico. Certainly some places will be fine but you wouldn't want to risk a bout of Montezuma's revenge on your honeymoon. Stick with the bottled water and if you do end up in a rental condo, I would even brush your teeth with the bottled water just to make sure. I have traveled and lived all over the world and spent quite a bit of time in Mexico in various parts. If it were me, I would pick the Cancun/Riviera Maya area over Puerto Vallarta in a heartbeat. I know you said you have made your decision but the water is just so much more gorgeous in Cancun/Riviera Maya. Also, you could definitely find an AI in that area along with flights that could stay within your budget. Do not bring all your money with you. There are ATM's everywhere. Be aware of your surroundings at all times and just be careful. Don't go walking in strange areas at night alone etc. I normally bring about $100-$200 in cash with me and get anything more while I am there if I need it. If you stay at an AI, you will only need tips money.
    Posted by spikeinc[/QUOTE]

Thanks so much! I will look into Cancun/Riviera Maya. I thought I did, but I peeked at some prices and they are reasonable! This is why I come here, you guys know more than me! :)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_finally-settled-puerto-vallarta?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:e1cefeab-6cfb-4acd-9db5-70891d7b857bPost:28447c87-e6e4-4cfb-8283-591237671347">Re: We finally settled on Puerto Vallarta!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Puerto Vallarta has a lot to offer if you're looking to be a bit adventurous.  There are lovely small towns just north of PV that have wonderful accomodation, little houses etc.  The water is rougher on that coast due to the surf though.  Bucerias is usually safe for swimming as is Sayulita and Nuevo Vallarta.  It depends on what you'd like to do. In general, for travel in Mexico, I agree with all of what pp said.  Also check with your doctor about Dukoral vaccine.  I'm in PV about 2 months of the year, and I never go without first getting the vaccine.  It protects against 2 types of travellers illness.  (I still never drink the water).  Out of 12 trips to Mex in the last 4 years, I've never been sick. PM me if you'd like more info on PV.
    Posted by 1covejack[/QUOTE]

Thanks for all the great info! I think we may look into other parts, if that is recommended. The vaccine is a great idea!
  • doeie04doeie04 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_finally-settled-puerto-vallarta?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:e1cefeab-6cfb-4acd-9db5-70891d7b857bPost:b82a73e3-83be-49b8-8856-40839d4f0279">Re: We finally settled on Puerto Vallarta!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I just took a look on Expedia for a week leaving on Monday June 25th and returning the following Sunday out of Billings aiport ( i guessed that might be yours) and they are running a special for Dreams in Cancun which is a 4 star with and ocean front room. The total was $2535 including flights.  The major resorts that I would want to go to would be the Excellence Resorts and everyone has great things to say about Secrets Maroma Beach although they can be a bit pricier. Don't forget that you will need to book and pay for the transportation from the airport to the hotel and back too which you can usually do on the website where you purchase the package as an addition to the package. When you are looking for packages take a look at all the sites Travelocity, Expedia Orbitz and play with the dates a little. I have found that traveling on Tuesday's or Wednesdays and returning on Mondays or Tuesdays can lower the price significantly. Example: I checked the same package at Dreams if you left on Tuesday June 26 and return Monday July 2 and it takes the price down to $2411 total. and if you left Wed and return Tues it goes down to $2371  Make sure the flights they have suggested work for you. Sometimes if you have to change the flights, your price will go up. Some of the websites have specials/sales on certain hotels that others do not which is why you should take a look at all of them before you book the first one that looks good. 

Thanks for all the leg work! We would fly out of Missoua.

We are leaning toward a rental house or a condo. Since we want our privacy and FI would like to have a private pool or mostly private due to body issues. That was his one request. We would also like to have a kitchen and cook some of our food to cut costs.
    What is your opinion on renting a house instead of going to a resort? Are they still safe?
  • I agree on checking our Rivera Maya over Puerto Vallarta. I went to PV for a wedding and absolutely hated it! The water was dingy, and the hotel was terrible. I have heard only good things about Rivera Maya, and will be traveling there in the near future for a wedding. I would never return to PV.
  • doeie04doeie04 member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_finally-settled-puerto-vallarta?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:e1cefeab-6cfb-4acd-9db5-70891d7b857bPost:9a7f2845-851b-4f69-8cb2-e9362c4b53ab">Re: We finally settled on Puerto Vallarta!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am sure you could find a safe house rental. I have not rented a house/condo in either areas. Maybe 1CoveJack would know some reputable condo rental agencies in PV. Take a look at VRBO.com as they have condo rentals all over the world. From what it looked like in the Cancun area it is mostly condos with shared pools.  Since your FI has body issues please remember to check whether it is a shared pool as many of the condos for rent have great views but shared facilities.

You are pretty much amazing! Thanks! I haven't looked at Cancun yet, since I have to leave soon, but there were quite a few options in the RM area. Want me to show you a few that I find so you can look over them? Just to check out area and such?I am looking on Tripadvisor.com so they are not random things I found online ;)
  • I posted the Dreams PV in the June board for you doeie :) Dreams has great reviews and we almost decided to book there! You said your FI is body concious and I don't know how deep you wanted to go into this, but at an AI I really don't think people will mind! Workers have seen people in every shape, size, color, walk-of-life imaginable I'm sure. Other couples I'm sure won't mind (I wouldn't!). We're all there to have a great time and as long as everyone is friendly and not stupidly abnoxious or anything, I really don't think people would care. Maybe just something to talk to him about if you did decide on an AI. 

I haven't looked into condo rentals, so I'm not much help there, but I'm not sure if it would really be cheaper because you will be paying for all your food/drinks. If you all don't drink though you would probably be good! :)
    image Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_finally-settled-puerto-vallarta?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:e1cefeab-6cfb-4acd-9db5-70891d7b857bPost:03b81eb0-faa7-4b4f-ade0-8b05ee890ed5">Re: We finally settled on Puerto Vallarta!</a>:
    [QUOTE]So while I have been waiting for my amazing H to make me a gourmet NYE meal, I have been researching a few places for you. After looking at the prices of airfare for you which will run you about $1600, you don't have much left over to rent a place and feed yourselves for the week. There are some places in Playa Del Carmen that seem doable but I think in the end you will go over your $3000 budget this way. I know your FI is body conscious. Would he be okay if you got a room somewhere with its own private plunge pool? It turns out that the Dreams resort has Deluxe rooms available with private plunge pools. That way you don't have to swim with everyone else and you still get to enjoy all the resort amenities, eat and drink up as much as you can and you won't go over budget. I was pricing out your trip from Missoula leaving on Wed June 27 and returning on Tuesday July 2nd and there seems to be an option to upgrade the room to a Deluxe with Terrace partial ocean view. I think this is the one with the private plunge pool. I wasn't able to check directly with the hotel as they are closed right now but I am sure you could call on Monday and find out. The price for the package including flights and all inclusive of all food and drinks was $2594.00 This would allow you a few extra bucks for transpo to and from the airport and maybe and outside excursion to the ruins in Tulum or something like that.      The Dreams website says it also offers a flights and room combo package. Maybe they would match the expedia price with the same flights. That way you can guarantee that the room description that expedia is offering does in fact have the plunge pool. See below for the flights I chose for you that matched that price. Can you tell I am bored? Just a thought as a good money saving but close option since you are a bit limited in funds. Wed  27-Jun-12 Missoula   (MSO) Depart  7:00 am  to  Denver   (DEN) Arrive  9:01 am 676 mi ( 1,088 km )   Duration: 2hr 1mn      Flight:  5534   Operated by: /UNITED EXPRESS/SKYWEST AIRLINES Economy/Coach Class  ,  Canadair RJ Denver   (DEN) Depart  10:17 am  to  Cancun   (CUN) Arrive  3:03 pm   Terminal  3 1,669 mi ( 2,686 km )   Duration: 3hr 46mn      Flight:  833   Operated by: UNITED AIRLINES Economy/Coach Class  , Food For Purchase,  Airbus A320 Total distance: 2,345 mi (3,774 km) Total duration:  5hr 47mn  ( 7hr 3mn  with connections)   Traveling to Missoula Mon  2-Jul-12 Cancun   (CUN) Depart  1:35 pm   Terminal  3  to  Denver   (DEN) Arrive  4:44 pm 1,669 mi ( 2,686 km )   Duration: 4hr 9mn      Flight:  834   Operated by: UNITED AIRLINES Economy/Coach Class  , Food For Purchase,  Airbus A320 Denver   (DEN) Depart  9:35 pm  to  Missoula   (MSO) Arrive  11:53 pm 676 mi ( 1,088 km )   Duration: 2hr 18mn      Flight:  5515   Operated by: /UNITED EXPRESS/SKYWEST AIRLINES  

Those flights are awesome! The PV flights all had overnight layovers.

So, I may be stupid..... I can't find the Dreams resort with the plunge pools. We would love a private plunge pool.

His body issues aren't a big deal to everyone else. He is tall and grew too fast so he has stretch marks on his lower back and shoulders.
  • I think we have decided on Riviera Maya. There were quite a few houses that we liked, but they were not close to much. I think we like this one. I personally think it is ugly, and very YELLOW!!!! But, it has an awesome plunge pool with a waterfall, and a jetted tub. It is close to everything, including the airport. It is private and is in our price range. What do you think about it?

He doesn't want to wear a shirt. It is unfortunate because he is holding himself back. :( But it is a concern for him, and I respect that.

What do you think of this house? http://www.tripadvisor.com/VacationRentalReview-g150812-d1778527-CASA_SOMBRA_VERDE-Playa_del_Carmen_Yucatan_Peninsula.html
  • Here is their website, it has a ton more pictures! http://www.sombraverde.com/photos.html
  • doeie04doeie04 member
    edited January 2012
    I really like Nolita. I found a different website and it is $900 for the week for the penthouse after taxes. That is pretty good. He said he would rather have a plunge pool than up our budget to get a private pool. He isn't comfortable sharing with a small condo complex. Nolita is updated (not blindingly yellow! haha) and is in a complex so we would feel more safe and not so isolated. I will email some of those other ones and see if they can come down in price possibly, it is worth a shot anyway.
  • What do you think of Cozumel? It seems kind of neat too. They have two different houses for about the same price as the condos we found. Tickets are about $300 more than to fly to Cancun, but we wouldn't have the hour long bus ride to Playa de Carmen so that may be worth it. We can still visit RM by taking the ferry.

Here are the two I like so far.

It is $901 after taxes. I like all the reviews and the owners live in Olympia, WA.
    http://www.tripadvisor.com/VacationRentalReview-g150809-d1633500-or21-Private_villa_priv_pool_internet_2_blks_town_ocn-Cozumel_Yucatan_Peninsula.html#REVIEWS

This one is $675. I am assuming tax is 12% like the others and not included, so $756. It is older looking, but still meets our needs.
    http://www.tripadvisor.com/VacationRentalReview-g150809-d1943264-Casa_Don_Rosa_II_Large_Pool_Open_Layout_Four_Blocks_to_Ocean-Cozumel_Yucatan_Peninsula.html

• All good points. We like to be secluded (and lazy) and I love the two houses I found. (FI hasn't seen them yet) But we will be farther away from all the activities on PDC. I will have to talk to him and see what he would like to do. Bigger bang for your buck on the island, or closer to stuff..... hmmmm
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards