Registry and Gift Forum

Show me your formal china!

We're having a hard time choosing a china pattern, so I'm looking for inspiration.  We think we want something modern, simple, and elegant.  The only color preference I have is that it not have yellow gold.  We're currently registered at Macys, but will add another store if the pattern we choose isn't available at Macys.  Show me yours, tell me which store you registered at for it, and if you remember how much it costs per setting.  PIP would be great!  TIA

Re: Show me your formal china!

• Kate Spade Pebble Point is what we chose.  It mixes well with my mother's dishes which I inherited when she passed.  I wanted something that coordinated well to mix "us" and "parents."  There are a number of Kate Spade patterns that go well together and look like a cohesive set.  If you can't decide, how about mixing a few patterns?

TTC #1 5/97 - PCOS dx 6/10 - Metformin 8/10 - Moved from Endo to RE 9/10 - 50mg Clomid 9/10 - 100mg Clomid 10/18 - BFP - Beta #1 = 91 - Beta #2 = 958 EDD 6/28/11 Tater Tot arrived 6/21/11 on his Great Grandmother's 90th Birthday
  • edited February 2010
    We chose Vera Wang Lace.  It's clean and simple on all the plates but the salad plate adds a little pazaz - we registered for it at Macy's

• ddumireddumire member
    First Comment
    edited February 2010
    Kate Spade Noel Alabaster:

Simple and Elegant with Platinum and pearl accents.  I registered for it at Macy's and it is around $130 for a place setting.
  • We registered for Kate Spade Gardner Street Platinum. It is $139 for the 5 piece setting. I love it because its modern looking. I also love Kate Spade because the tea cups are modern looking. I loved a lot of the Lenox that I saw and then I got to the tea cup and it was shaped like teacups from 50 years ago. I guess I'm picky though.

It looks great with Kate Spade Malmo flatware. We got different crystal glassware though because the Kate Spade glassware is from a different company and its cheaply made- the globe is glued to the stem!

http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=358112&PseudoCat=se-xx-xx-xx.esn_results
    Photobucket
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_show-formal-china?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:9fe9918d-bc19-41ab-a36c-b283eddd2eb2Post:a198d82d-f6d8-4d4c-94dc-ed26fd3d1ca5">Re: Show me your formal china!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I loved a lot of the Lenox that I saw and then I got to the tea cup and it was shaped like teacups from 50 years ago.
    Posted by jeanna85[/QUOTE]

<div>Haha, that's why we chose the Lenox!  I <em>hate</em> those modern tea cups!</div>
    imageimage
    Follow my book blog: Panda Reads
    Follow me on Goodreads: my read shelf:
    Sandra's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Thanks, ladies!  I think we're getting closer.  I really like a few of the Kate Spade patterns.  SpceCadet: I hadn't thought about mix and matching!  I love that idea!  The three patterns that I like best are Gardner Street, Pebble Point, and Belle Boulevard.  Macys carries 2 of the 3.  BB&B carries all three.  HOWEVER, my favorite of the three, Gardner Street, is not dishwasher safe.  This might be a deal-breaker for me because I have always given my mom a hard time for having all these fancy dishes and then tons of dishes to hand-wash after a big holiday meal.  I also love the Kate Spade Larabee Road accent plates.  

So, I guess I have 2 questions:
    -How important is it to you that the china be dishwasher safe?
    -What do you think of the idea of mixing and matching a 2 or 3 of the Kate Spade patterns (6 settings x 2 or 4 settings x 3)?

Thanks!
  • pandasquishy: haha thats funny. my SIL registered for Lenox and asked me what I have against cute little teacups. She adores hers.
    Photobucket
  • about the gardner street: it IS dishwasher safe. says so right on the macys and bb&b website as well as on the care sheet for the china that i saw when i looked at in the store. i was worried about it because i read somewhere online that it wasnt so i called the manufacturer as well. my mom's friend has gardner street and shes been putting it in the dishwasher and its worked out for her just fine :)
    Photobucket
  • Just found this Registry Board!  I registered this weekend.  This is my bone china from C&B.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • We chose Lenox Floral Veil.  We've already received two place settings, and I love it!

• ExpatPumpkinExpatPumpkin member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited February 2010

We got service for 13 (just in case!) of a classic white set from Haeng Nam.  I wanted maximum versatility for mixing in pieces from other sets.  The pieces are sold separately, so here's the coffee/tea cup:

• Waterford Ballet Ribbon... LOVE IT!!
  • We picked Kate Spade "June Lane". I love it!!

Anniversary
  • We bought the  Belle Boulevard collection.  The one thing I noticed was that the ribbons on the place setting doesn't match up...i over looked that.  Really look at the pattern on all the three plates.  It doesn't line up.....but i'm still so excited to have them!
    imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • noodle_oonoodle_oo member
    First Comment
    edited March 2010
    Great thread!  This has been super helpful to me!  I'm not totally sure yet, but I'm leaning towards Noritake Montvale Platinum.  Unfortunately, they don't carry it at BBB anymore, so we're stuck with Macy's.  It bugs me because it is regularly like $145 per 5 pcs setting, but comes on sale for $89 or $99.  Similar things are alwasy $89 at BBB.  But we don't like anything else, so I guess our guests will hopefully shop the sales!

I definitely want bone china and I love the plates, but I wish it had the modern tea cups.  Also wish the set came with a soup bowl instead of the bread plate.  Oh well!

http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=105205&PseudoCat=se-xx-xx-xx.esn_results
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards