Catholic Weddings

NWR: Nook v. Kindle

Does anyone have either of these?  If so, how did you pick the one you ended up with?  The Nook seems to have more titles and better prices (especially on spiritual books), but everyone I know seems to have the Kindle.  I've been holding out so long on getting an e reader (i love real books!) so I want to make the right decision.  Thanks for your help!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: NWR: Nook v. Kindle

• We actually have all 3 (regular Kindle, Nook color, and an iPad2).  It really depends on what your main use will be.  If it's strickly for reading books, the regular Kindle (not Fire) or regular Nook (not color) will probably be your best bet because they're not backlit- which makes it very easy on the eyes.  This is why my husband just recently bought the regular Kindle ($80).  He couldn't read very long on his Nook color because the backlight/LCD screen hurt his eyes.  I don't used my iPad for reading much- just for surfing the web.  Here's a link to a website that give a lot of info about e-readers/tablets.  GL!

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20009738-1/kindle-vs-nook-vs-ipad-which-e-book-reader-should-you-buy/
  • I received a Kindle as a gift, because I loooove to read!  I didn't have an opportunity to compare the different devices, but I love my Kindle!  I have even downloaded the Kindle app on my iPhone for times when I have forgotten my Kindle at home.  The app syncs with the Kindle, so I don't have to search for where I was!.  On the downside, the Kindle does not sync with the phone, so I do have to search when I am using the Kindle.

• Thanks for the article.  It was really helpful.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I got a Viewsonic GTablet for like $250 and put the Nook App on there.  I thought the tablet was the best bet to be honest because you can do so much more with it and it wasn't that much more expensive.

If we didn't have this tablet already, I'd probably buy the Nook tablet that just came out.  I like the Nook tablet over the Amazon Fire because you can use the Android Market.  Amazon Fire only allows you to use the Amazon Market which isn't as good as the Android Market (IMO).

I also chose Nook over Kindle because the Nook allows ePub books and you can rent directly from the library.  It also supported PDF.  At the itme, Kindle only supported their proprietory format.  It's possible they have changed that.
    ---------
    Anniversary

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I have the latest b&w Nook. I don't know about Roman Catholic texts, but I chose the Nook because it had the most Anglican texts - and for free. Nook/Barnes&Noble have some arrangement with googlebooks/googlescholar that makes portions of academic libraries available for the Nook for free. Don't know about the Kindle.

I use my Nook's pdf viewer tons for work. I had to review 50,000 pages for a project, and it was great to be able to do some of that at home without having to carry the paper, which gets very heavy very fast.

Neither the Nook nor Kindle could properly display classical texts with line numbers. This is like Aristotle, Plato, and Shakespeare, where in a regular book, the line numbers are marked in the margins. On both e-readers, the software made the line numbers another column of text, so you read the text like normal, and every page there's a group of numbers - the line numbers that should be next to the primary text. Since neither solved this issue, obviously it didn't influence my choice. Both do handle verse markings in the Bible just fine, though.

More periodicals are available for Kindle rather than Nook. When my parents asked which they should get my atheist uncle, I said Kindle, because I think there's still more content in general available for Kindle.
  • I don't know about the lighting on other tablets, but my Samsung Galaxy (the phone, but I want the tablet) has a "nighttime" setting on the books app that changes the text to white on a black background -- makes it really easy to read at night.
    Anniversary

• I have a regular Kindle, and I love it.  It doesn't hurt my eyes (e-ink is a wonderful invention).  It was a gift, so I didn't have the option of comparing the Nook and Kindle for best book prices.  I just love having an e-reader because when I travel, I can carry a bunch of books with me while using a lot less space.  Also, at work, if I have down time, I can use the Kindle app on my phone or computer to read the same books I have on my Kindle, then resync things when I get home so that I'm on the same page when I read again that night.
  • I received a Kindle from work, and I absolutely love it.  the e-ink is fabulous on the eyes, and in addition to the standard Kindle selections on Amazon (which also include a significant collection of free or nearly free texts) anything in pdf version can be sent to the kindle.  I've even emailed documents of my own to the kindle to be able to review them on my breaks at work.  Love it!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

One thing to remember: The wedding is just one day. The marriage is all the rest of them.

April 2012 Siggy Challenge: Cake Inspiration
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I just got a Kindle Keyboard 3G and love it!  I preferred it to the touch version for ergonomic reasons and opted for it over the Nook Simple Touch because it had a web browser on it.  I think it comes down to which of your top choices has the texts you want available for the most reasonable prices, overall!  As far as I know, the Nook does have a more extensive library... but a few of the books I was interested in purchasing were a bit more expensive through B&N vs. Amazon.

Some great sites for getting free e-books are

http://www.manybooks.net/
    http://www.gutenberg.org/

I got a bunch of free spiritual reading and lot of classics that Amazon charged for.  You can get the books onto your e-reader via USB or, on a Kindle, e-mailing them to your device. 

Definitely go into the store and try out your options to decide which ones you like best!  Best Buy has both the Nook and Kindle on display to try out... although the demo models of the touchscreen versions didn't work the greatest.  If you read a lot... I'd also echo PP's and recommend a b&w e-ink reader versus a backlit screen tablet.
  • Thanks for all the helpful suggestions!  I'm going to go play with both of them after Christmas and then make a decision. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I too have had all three - Kindle, Nook, and iPad. Liked my Nook until B&N decided to upgrade the software without notice or permission & wiped off all my books on a weekend when I was without WiFi. Said bye bye to that immediately after. Bought a small Kindle that I loved because it was so light, but finally succumbed to the iPad mania. Though it's more expensive, I can have my Kindle AND my Nook books on it, as well as iBooks, and my pics and videos (including my wedding video), and Internet when I've got wireless. I am seriously totally addicted to it (I'm posting with it now). Like every Ebook it needs accessories - a regular case and a waterproof one because I LOVE to read in the tub, but I am so happy with it. Linda
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards