Snarky Brides

*Chirp*

That loaded baked potato soup was AMAZING.  Thank you for the link to the recipe.  We loved it.  It didn't last long at all.

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.

Re: *Chirp*

• How was the bacon?
  • I updated my bacon thread.  Maybe you should find it ;)

But no, I ended up cooking it in the oven because H geniusly froze a pound of bacon in a lump, so I had to thaw it all in order to get a few pieces, so obviously then I had to COOK it all.  So I ended up using the oven method.  I burned a couple pieces toward the back of the cookie sheet (OMFG HATE OUR OVEN) and our house smelled like burnt disgusting, but H loved the bacon.  He said it was so crispy and not greasy and couldn't imagine why it never occurred to him to cook it in the oven.  I figured we'd freeze some, but he just ate it all.  Ha.

• However?  The cookie sheet?  I want to just throw it away.  I don't know why I didn't cover it in foil.  Blech.

• I miss the sorting function.
  • Ugh, me too.  I hope it comes back when they're done with their crazy cakes TN/TB switcheroo.

• I have been complaining about it for a loooong time, but now the knot gods ignore me.
  • oh yeah, I forgot to mention that part. I take foil and ball it up a bunch then semi- flatten it. (so there are lots of ridges and stuff to catch the grease.)

Save your pan for the next time you cook bacon ;)
  • At least you advocate for us, Mica. 

Good idea, Steph.  I used the oldest cookie sheet we have, which is pretty much black anyway, and we'll probably just toss it when we move, honestly.  It's gross, I don't cook much on it because I got pretty brand new ones last Christmas.

• Glad you liked it!  It's one of my favorites for a chilly day or when I need comfort food.  

I have a pork butt in the crock pot for pulled pork but now I'm stuck.  I usually throw in a bottle of root beer (actually per your suggestion) but I'm not eating added sugar so I don't know what to put in for liquid instead.  Would just water work?  Or no liquid at all since it's a well marbled piece of meat?
  • J&K10910J&K10910 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited March 2012
    The best thing for a tougher piece of meat is to add an acid.  That's why the root beer/coke/dr pepper/whatever works so well.  It helps tenderize.

For your case, I would do something like the sauce for this:  http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/slow-cooker-beef-pot-roast-10000001896073/

The ketchup and Worchestershire sauce are acidic enough, and it makes a BBQ-y like liquid.

Otherwise, a diet soda will work too, unless you're not doing artificial sweeteners either.

• Also, adding a splash of wine would work great too--either with the sauce mixture for the recipe I posted above, or with some water or beef/chicken/veggie stock.

• I'd do wine or beer, personally.

After all this talk about loaded baked potato soup, I went to the store to buy the ingredients to make it tomorrow.  Curse you all.  ;)
  • Beer would be good too.  I don't even think about it because I don't drink it.  But it would still have added sugar.  Though I guess wine might, depending on the wine.

Mica, do you have a recipe, or are you using the one Chirp posted?  It was so damn good.  I added green onions, cheese, and ham to mine.  Of course H added bacon.  Yum. 

• Where is this recipe Chirp posted?  I want potato soup.
  • To give you an idea of how much we loved it:  I followed the recipe almost exactly (I only added parsley and used red pepper flakes instead of crushed).  It was amazing without me doing anything to it.  I NEVER follow recipes exactly.

• Thanks guys.  I made up a set rub and mixed part water, part vinegar for liquid.  I wasn't going to add vinegar but you made a really good point about needing an acid in there, J.  I didn't have any other the other stuff on hand so I just worked with what I have.  Hopefully it's delicious.

• I had a different recipe, but that one looks good too.  I might hybridize them.
  • chirpchirpchirpchirp member
    First Comment
    edited March 2012
    Ha, I was a little late to the link.

J- you also got to use your immersion blender!! How'd it work?
  • Awesome.  Can't wait to try it.  
  • I needed the potato masher to actually mash (it's just a small immersion blender attachment, so it didn't have enough power) but it was awesome for mixing once the potatoes were mashed and for getting the smaller chunks!

Vinegar will work great.  You can drain most of the liquid before you shred and it shouldn't hang on to the taste too much.  It'll will be delightfully tangy! 

• Good to hear.  I was a little nervous adding straight vinegar.  YUM!  So excited for dinner!
  • LoopysevenLoopyseven member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited March 2012
    I'm a little weirded out by the idea of a smooth potato soup.  How do you think it would be if you left the potatoes chunky (diced to a more bite size)?
  • Loopy, I don't have an immersion blender so I cook the soup with whole chunks (bite size) and use a masher towards the end to break it up a bit.  Also, I don't like to add additional thickeners, so mashing the potatoes just a bit (leaving them chunky- not smooth) thickens it up and gives a good texture.  Also, I leave just a bit of the skin on the taters... I like the rustic flavor and texture it adds.
  • Okay.  Thanks Chirp.  I'll keep that in mind when I try this.
  • I didn't blend mine completely smooth--there were definitely small chunks.  It worked great!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards