Second Weddings

Two Weddings....typical?

So I've been engaged for almost a year. We initially decided to have a wedding in ATL in October 2012, but once we started planning the costs and they were just getting too high. Then, we decided a monthh ago to have a very small wedding (immediate family only) in Savannah this May. I did end up inviting a few very close friends because this is technically our first wedding. I still want to plan a BIG wedding for all of our friends and family members who were not invited to the first one. The purpose of the small wedding is to cut cost. We want to do a big wedding, but what we want just isn't in the budget this year. I heard a lot of couples are opting to do two weddings, to cut down on costs...is this true? I don't know if we should do the ceremony again or if we should just have a reception...what do you all think?

Re: Two Weddings....typical?

• I don't see how two weddings could POSSIBLY be less expensive than one wedding.

If you can't afford the big blow-out, then do something smaller.  You can always host a BBQ at your house to celebrate with everyone else at a later date.   
    DSC_9275
  • ::::runs down the street to catch my eyes that rolled right out of my dang head:::::
  • OP, you're going to find that this is very unpopular on the knot and for good reason. You're looking to have a 'pretty princess day' where you get your dream wedding.... the catch is, you'll already be married, so you're going to be playing dress up. The ceremony is the inexpensive part, so I don't understand your cheaper logic. 

If you choose to have a party after you marriage (this is NOT a reception and shouldn't be called one), then do that afterwords but this means no wedding dress, special dances, ceremony, cake cutting, etc. It is a get together to celebrate you marriage. 
  • We did two ceremonies, but that's because we're Pagan, and we did a handfasting, which is not recognized as a legally binding marriage in Georgia. We live in Atlanta, too.  So, we had two private ceremonies; about a year apart.  The first was the handfasting by our High Priestess and Priest, and the other was our legal ceremony in Key West.  No one was invited to either. 

The other folks on this board are correct; you want to have your pretty pretty princess day.  The others on this board are not having "two weddings" they are getting married again after being widowed or divorced. 
    image Don't mess with the old dogs; age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! BS and brilliance only come with age and experience.
  • Save up for the wedding you want and have it when you have enough.  PPDs are side-eyed here.
  • A lot of people get married simply and then have a bigger party later on when they can afford it, but it really isn't a second wedding. 
  • Another option is push back the date. I know you have already been engaged a year but since you do want to save up for that big party just extend the engagement. Me and FI will be engaged for 3 years when we get married. We know the wedding we want and know how long it will take us to save to make that happen. 
    Daisypath Wedding tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Thank you all for your feedback. We are still moving forward with a small wedding in Savannah. No reception aftewards, just dinner at a popular restaurant. I'm also not doing a formal cake, but cake pops. On our 1 year anniversary, we are going to have a party and invite all of our friends and family members who were not invited to the formal wedding. Thanks!
  • <eye roll>  I have a feeling you were going to do what you originally intended anyway.  Why bother asking for advice?  Validation?
  • Please don't jump down my throat. This should be a happy place, right? I actually intended to have two real weddings. But everyday, I'm thinking less about the 2nd wedding. Right now, I'm thinking we will do a party and skp the 2nd ceremony. 
  • You can't have two REAL weddings tho unless you get divorced in between.  One is going to be fake.

I guess I just don't understand why you don't wait until you can afford the wedding you want?
  • I have the same question as Marrin.  Why not wait until you can afford the wedding you want?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards