Wedding Recap and Withdrawal

What would you have done differently????

To all the newly married couples, 
  I haven't had my wedding yet but I wanted to get your advice on what you would have done differently?  What you loved? And what you could have done without?

Thanks, Alia
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: What would you have done differently????

• TaraW1979TaraW1979 member
    First Comment
    edited February 2012
    I would have described the flowers I wanted in more detail. I guess I wasn't too clear on the size of mine or the bridesmaids bouquet because when they arrived the morning of the wedding they were a lot smaller than what I wanted and expected. By that time it was too late. 

I also would have made sure I had a family photo taken. My mom is very upset we didn't get one done. I'm upset too.

I am very happy I had a videographer because I missed so much being the bride. I couldn't see my bridal party walk down the aisle or how people interacted during cocktail hour. I also do not remember the look on my husband's face when I walked down the aisle. Now I will get a chance to see all that! I can't wait until I get my DVD!

Also, I must say I am very happy we only had 73 guests. It was such a nice crowd. We were able to talk to everyone and never felt overwhelmed. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • I would've given my photographer a list of must have photos.  I thought we would be able to figure it out on the day of but it went by so fast we didn't get a chance and we missed some pics.  Like pp, I'm glad we had a small wedding (90 guests) we were able to talk and mingle with everyone and still enjoy our time.  I'm also glad we had a videographer....parts of the wedding ceremony/reception are simply a blur.  I could've done without the favors.  Even though our guests enjoyed them, it was an unnecessary expense.  Everything else was just awesome!
  • Note to self, make a list of must have photos.

Thanks
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thought about my hairstyle in more detail.  It was gathered to one side....turned out it created a "bad" side and a "good" side.  Yikes.  The bad side really wasn't terrible, but there was definately an angle that didn't look as good as the other in pictures.
  • I agree with the must have photos and videography!  There are some photos we didn't get with family that I am a little sad about.  I am SO happy we went with videography, it was something we added on at the last minute (about a month before) and there is a lot we missed that we will get to see on the video.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • The only thing I would have changed was to have the foresight to have our son's stroller ready at the front gate during the ceremony. My dad wound up carrying him for most of the Second Line. Other than that, I don't really have any complaints. We did not have a videographer which I'm totally ok with. We went to our cocktail hour. I DIY'ed favors and programs right up until the morning of and they were all gone at the end of the night.
  • QUeen Jane

I will be second lining at my wedding... I cant wait!
  • Agree with the must-have photos.
    Also, I stressed about favors, and they weren't even necessary.
    Should have been more descriptive of flowers. mine were pretty, but not what I asked for, really.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-recap-withdrawal_what-would-you-have-done-differently?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:12Discussion:a05e819a-eb99-449c-af3d-ed89c8c75fa0Post:85b5e50e-be08-4709-83a9-6bdbee4a6f65">Re: What would you have done differently????</a>:
    [QUOTE]QUeen Jane I will be second lining at my wedding... I cant wait!
    Posted by klindse1[/QUOTE]

<div>It was seriously the best part of the reception :)</div>
  • Picked a different photographer.  Almost cried my eyes out at the results I got lol I even gave him a list of must-have photos.  He wasn't a poorly skilled photographer just wasn't very accomodating to customer needs.  Not that he wasn't competent but I think creativity is sstill lacking in his area.
  • I would have have pulled our of my reception contract when I recieved the very first email and it was incorrect.  I never trusted the coordinator again and we never fully resolved issues.  Created some stress.  HOWEVER.  Everyone else at my venue was amazing.  And things turned out fine.
  • I wouldn't have stressed so much about the people that DID NOT attend. I was so worried about having low numbers (we invited 135 and just under 70 came, for a destination wedding), but the amount we had was perfect and kept me from feeling overwhelmed at the reception. That said, there were people I missed having there after the fact, but it wasn't like I was thinking "Gee, I wish so-and-so was here" during the course of the day.

1/13 - Diagnosis: Low Ovarian Reserve, starting IUI 2/13 Anniversary image
  • We would have hired a videographer. Everything was perfect but that's our only regret.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-recap-withdrawal_what-would-you-have-done-differently?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:12Discussion:a05e819a-eb99-449c-af3d-ed89c8c75fa0Post:ffd69a6f-8836-4a96-887c-c46f02863803">Re: What would you have done differently????</a>:
    [QUOTE]Note to self, make a list of must have photos. Thanks
    Posted by zubrod1[/QUOTE]

Same here
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • What is Second Lining?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-recap-withdrawal_what-would-you-have-done-differently?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:12Discussion:a05e819a-eb99-449c-af3d-ed89c8c75fa0Post:6bcfd60d-614a-4349-be0c-c7e943da6812">Re: What would you have done differently????</a>:
    [QUOTE]What is Second Lining?
    Posted by vantilka[/QUOTE]

I was going to ask the same thing.
    Follow Me on Pinterest Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm actually planning my second wedding but my advice from the first one -  I was so glad I fought for a videographer (for the same reasons everyone else listed) and a wedding coordinator.  She put out so many fires that I wasn't even aware of and that was bliss.  One thing I wish I would have done differently is taken the time to eat more at the reception.  We paid for so much amazing food I didn't even barely get to touch.  Remember, it's your day.  Take time to enjoy it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • And perhaps the most notable tradition of of all, the Second Line parade.  Virtually every wedding in the New Orleans area has some form of a Second Line (many don’t fit the strict definition of a Second Line, but to keep things simple, the term is broadly used).  In its most basic form, the DJ or band will play that universally recognized (in New Orleans at least!) Second Line song, and everyone dances in a line around the venue waving napkins in the air.

according to the internet, which we know is NEVER wrong :)
  • Yup, 3rd person who is curious what 'Second Lining' is...
  • I wouldn't have DIYed all my flowers.  I would have just done the bouquet and bouts and hire a florist to do everything else.

I would have hired a different coordinator.

And in hind sight, if I would have realized that most of my guests were over the age of 50, I would have had a brunch reception rather than a dinner reception.  It would have been cheaper and more enjoyable for everyone.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-recap-withdrawal_what-would-you-have-done-differently?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:12Discussion:a05e819a-eb99-449c-af3d-ed89c8c75fa0Post:f7961818-777b-4412-ae61-870c1995fb1a">Re: What would you have done differently????</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yup, 3rd person who is curious what 'Second Lining' is...
    Posted by Celare[/QUOTE]

I googled it. It's a "parade" after the wedding to the reception. mostly done in new orleans.
    Follow Me on Pinterest Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • RYLZRYLZ member
    First Anniversary First Comment

We had a 2nd Line too-- best part of the entire day!  Wish it had lasted longer-- was only about 30 minutes.

Wish we had hired a videographer because the day just zooms by and you just cant be everywhere at once.

I should have gotten a full night's sleep the night before.  You can't hide tired eyes!  Don't stay up doing stuff.  Plan to be finished with everything 2 days before the wedding.

Don't miss your hair trial!  My absolute biggest regret.  My everyday hair would have looked better and I would have known that if I hadn't missed my hair trial appointment.

Best decisions in hindsight:
    **Hiring a day-of coordinator
    **Wearing Cole Haan Nike flats-- no foot pain whatsoever and no one sees your feet anyhow!  Switched into heels for the garter toss so no one saw my sensible shoes :-)
    **Took 3 dance lessons with my fiance even though we already know how to dance and it gave us that extra shine-- we made a fantastic entrance with the first dance

• I would have definitely hired a videographer... or even just asked an usher to have set up a camcorder in the back of the ceremony or reception.  Haha!  Either way, we don't have any videos of our big day.  While our photos are awesome, they just can't capture music, sermon, and conversations like a video could have.

Also, I would have made sure my MIL stood back so her big head didn't block my groom's face as I walked down the aisle.  Haha!!
  • i would have made a list of what to wear the day of and also a must take photo list for the photographer. It is easy to forget to wear one of many items such as the old, blue, borrowed, and/ornew stuff. Also, photographers can forget to take very basic photos sometimes. They might end up being the photos you were looking forward to having the most...
  • jmichlikjmichlik member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited April 2012
    Several things:
    1) I echo several PP's comments about flowers, I did really like the look of mine but for what I was paying they were WAY smaller than I expected. The florist's response to this was "they are expensive flowers"... how silly, I would have asked them to put in cheaper flowers and make them bigger if I'd known.
    2) Gotten EVERYTHING in writing from our venue. When we first met them I am sure I remember the woman telling me she was quoting me a price per person including the ceremony and reception; it was an unusual idea and no other venue did that. However, when we went back to book several months later she insisted she would never have done that and the prices were only for the reception. I loved the venue so I ended up dealing with it and paying more for the ceremony but it still bugs me.
    3) Had someone other than my mother organize my bridal shower, like my MOH (my younger sister) or my close friend who was one of my bridesmaids. I had discused the shower with my group and we agreed on a small intimate shower with only close friends and family; this did include family from both my side and the groom's. My mom booked a nice venue that could hold up to 40 people, and we planned to invite about 30. Suddenly my MIL insists we need to include every woman being invited to the wedding, which was a list of about 60. My mom just caved and agreed to it and ended up with a hassle of switching to a different booking, where my sister or friend would have stood up and told my MIL that this was not what I wanted.

Things I was happy I did after I learned from other people's weddings:
    1) Instead of having either set of parents pay for specific items in the wedding, we told them when they offered to contribute that they could decide on a total amount to give us and make that our gift. I've heard the horror stories of the mom/MIL who is paying for this particular piece of the wedding and thus wants total control over it and was not going to have that. This way we got to plan how we wanted and no one tried to take over for us.
    2) All the planning was done ONLY by my husband and I (with the exception of the shower and dress shopping with my mom and bridal party). We knew our families would want the details, and were happy to share with them, but made sure we did not tell anyone anything until after it was already planned so no one could interfere. In the end everyone was happy with everything so it all worked out just fine.
    3) Comfy shoes... they were about an inch high and wedge heels, and I was one of the only women still wearing my original shoes by the end of the night.
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards