Wedding Etiquette Forum

Self-entitled millennial makes me want to scream.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/07/business/economy/07generation.html?ref=business&src=me&pagewanted=all

My favorite part of the article?

Many hard-pressed millennials are falling back on their parents, as Scott Nicholson has. While he has no college debt (his grandparents paid all his tuition and board) many others do, and that helps force them back home.

Must be nice to have ZERO college debt and be able to pick and choose your job.

Re: Self-entitled millennial makes me want to scream.

• I'm with you. Self-entitled/self-important people make me want to commit murder. Instead, I just try to be glad that awesome people like you (and hopefully some day, me) are raising kids that I know will be the complete opposite of these jackasses. 
  • baystateapplebaystateapple member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited July 2010
    I don't get the "holding out for a corporate position" thing.  Why not take a lesser job, build some experience, make some money, and have something to show for yourself?  Surely that's more impressive than sitting at home and waiting for a corporate position that may never materialize...isn't it?

ETA: He turned down a $40K a year job?  In the middle of the recession?  Because it wasn't good enough?

I have a college degree, too.  And I'm making a lot less than $40K.  And I'm grateful for it.

Books read in 2012: 21/50

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Vom.  I just saw this on FB and was reading it when you posted this!

I love/hate this:

“Going it alone,” “earning enough to be self-supporting” — these are awkward concepts for Scott Nicholson and his friends. Of the 20 college classmates with whom he keeps up, 12 are working, but only half are in jobs they “really like.” Three are entering law school this fall after frustrating experiences in the work force, “and five are looking for work just as I am,” he said.

THAT'S going to work out well.  The legal industry is so fuucked up right now, and you are going to incur so much debt, you will be even more screwed than you are now when you get out. 
    two years!
    after two losses, now happily expecting baby #1 09.16.12
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Brie Fit Blog | BFP Chart
  • edited July 2010
    I would kill for a $40,000/year job.

And I don't have any college debt. My parents didn't go to college right out of high school (my mom graduated college 6 months after I did after going part-time for 8 years) and they wanted me to have opportunities that they never had. They offered to pay for 4 years at whatever school I wanted so long as I made it my "job" to go to class and get a degree. I have a nice secure government job now, but it doesn't pay much, the benefits are in the time off and health insurance that I get.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_self-entitled-millennial-want-scream?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:1c820431-a6d2-4793-9ee6-b2979fbbd9dbPost:2dfd7f68-b9ba-4bee-b645-e3ba3598cc49">Re: Self-entitled millennial makes me want to scream.</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't get the "holding out for a corporate position" thing.  Why not take a lesser job, build some experience, make some money, and have something to show for yourself?  Surely that's more impressive than sitting at home and waiting for a corporate position that may never materialize...isn't it? ETA: He turned down a $40K a year job?   In the middle of the recession?  Because it wasn't good enough? I have a college degree, too.  And I'm making a lot less than $40K.  And I'm grateful for it.
    Posted by baystateapple[/QUOTE]

But... but... I have training.  College training.  Why would an employer want actual work experience?
    murrayed
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_self-entitled-millennial-want-scream?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:1c820431-a6d2-4793-9ee6-b2979fbbd9dbPost:2dfd7f68-b9ba-4bee-b645-e3ba3598cc49">Re: Self-entitled millennial makes me want to scream.</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't get the "holding out for a corporate position" thing.  Why not take a lesser job, build some experience, make some money, and have something to show for yourself?  Surely that's more impressive than sitting at home and waiting for a corporate position that may never materialize...isn't it? ETA: He turned down a $40K a year job?   In the middle of the recession?  Because it wasn't good enough? I have a college degree, too.  And I'm making a lot less than $40K.  And I'm grateful for it.

Not to mention the networking you can do at a job. I've gotten tons of job leads through co-workers who know I want to do something different once I finish grad school. Unless this kid is attending networking events, things will never pan out for him.
  • I wonder if Scotty boy read all 1,487 of the comments before they stopped accepting them.  The majority are people telling him to grow up and stop being so entitled.  Although there are a few from people who are supportive of his behavior.

I'm sort of surprised there isn't a comment from Scott saying "THANK YOU, Random Person Who Supports My Entitlement!  At least SOMEONE on here isn't mean.  To everyone else, you should be SUPPORTIVE!"

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_self-entitled-millennial-want-scream?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:1c820431-a6d2-4793-9ee6-b2979fbbd9dbPost:2dfd7f68-b9ba-4bee-b645-e3ba3598cc49">Re: Self-entitled millennial makes me want to scream.</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't get the "holding out for a corporate position" thing.  Why not take a lesser job, build some experience, make some money, and have something to show for yourself?  Surely that's more impressive than sitting at home and waiting for a corporate position that may never materialize...isn't it?

This doesn't apply in this kid's case, because he was offered a good job and turned it down, but generally, this mindset bugs me a little bit.

When I was unemployed, people kept telling me, "Oh, just go get a job at Target for the time being until you find a real job."  I have a law degree.  Target is not going to hire me.  I'm overqualified and they know that the minute I get something better, I'll leave, which, well...I would.  I applied for tons of retail and service industry jobs and didn't even get an interview.  It's harder than you might think to just go get any old job out there when you have a decent education.
    two years!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Ridiculous.  You know what my college friends are all doing?  Working their asses off, at yeah- jobs they don't love.  Because they pay money.  We all have college degrees, but we are doing things like hotel management, clerical and insurance.  We're not moving back home and whining to mom and dad.
  • I want to punch Scott in the face. So he's too good for a non-corporate position, huh? I hope his mom is happy to still be supporting her adult son who is so freaking picky. And I hope his grandfather can find someone who can move him to the front of the line... in Europe.  
  • I couldn't even stomach reading the rest of the article after the first paragraph.  What a prick. 
    My Bio Updated 4/6/10
  • LD1970LD1970 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    Two years of blank space on a resume does NOT look good.  Much better to have a job to put on your resume.  At this point, corporations understand that you'll have jobs on your resume that you didn't want.  They will NOT understand you sitting on your ass for two years refusing to work because you weren't getting your dream job.  They will NOT be hiring entitled brats.  They'll be hiring workers.
    You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough. ~Mae West
  • Why isn't this punk interning somewhere or doing something more useful with his time?  I applied to more jobs than he does while I interned full time before I had a job.  He's a lazy sack of shite if you ask me. 
    My Bio Updated 4/6/10
  • zippitybzippityb member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited July 2010

I hear you, Brie. It took me MONTHS to land a bank teller position after I graduated from college. I think part of the problem was that I had a degree.

Also, this dude in the article was an idiot. I was able to get a job as an admin assistant at a company and within a year and a half I was a staff accountant making way more than I was making when I started. It is totally true about getting your foot in the door.

• And I'm at a job right now that is not my dream job. But it pays the mortage, and the truck payment, and the electric bill. I guess I should have held out for my fantasy dream job where I could immediately start out at the top of the food chain as if I'd worked my way up without trying.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_self-entitled-millennial-want-scream?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:1c820431-a6d2-4793-9ee6-b2979fbbd9dbPost:3fe7b244-d024-435d-acfa-0f08617f8198">Re: Self-entitled millennial makes me want to scream.</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Self-entitled millennial makes me want to scream. : This doesn't apply in this kid's case, because he was offered a good job and turned it down, but generally, this mindset bugs me a little bit. When I was unemployed, people kept telling me, "Oh, just go get a job at Target for the time being until you find a real job."  I have a law degree.  Target is not going to hire me.  I'm overqualified and they know that the minute I get something better, I'll leave, which, well...I would.  I applied for tons of retail and service industry jobs and didn't even get an interview.  It's harder than you might think to just go get any old job out there when you have a decent education.
    Posted by Brie2010[/QUOTE]

And I can understand and get behind that.  Law and medical school graduates are definitely in a different situation, and I wasn't necessarily talking about getting a minimum-wage job at Target.  But even if there aren't managerial positions open in your field (by yours I mean Scott's here), there are still entry-level positions open.  He turned one down.  He had the opportunity to get a job in his field, and gain some experience...and he turned it down because it wasn't good enough.  That's not the same as trying to get a part-time or full-time job at McDonald's in the interim.

And I feel you on that...I've tried to get part-time second jobs so we can get some more money to put towards buying a house, and nobody, not even fast food places, will hire me, because they know it's not even close to something that's a permanent position for me.  So I can sympathize with you.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_self-entitled-millennial-want-scream?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:1c820431-a6d2-4793-9ee6-b2979fbbd9dbPost:9b2bd0ef-5146-4cf3-a04b-f2c100896946">Re: Self-entitled millennial makes me want to scream.</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ridiculous.  You know what my college friends are all doing?  Working their asses off, at yeah- jobs they don't love.  Because they pay money.  We all have college degrees, but we are doing things like hotel management, clerical and insurance.  We're not moving back home and whining to mom and dad.
    Posted by kikibaby[/QUOTE]

I mean, $40k is AWESOME. With no student loan debt you can live pretty well off of that if you find a place with a couple of roommates. He's currently living in Boston in his brother's apartment. He better hope I don't run into him somewhere or I will punch him in the nuts.
  • Yeah, what kiki said. I have a psych degree and I work in a cube. Big whoop. MOST people don't like what they do for a living, at least to some degree. That's why we have, ya know, hobbies and families and things we do outside of work. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_self-entitled-millennial-want-scream?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:1c820431-a6d2-4793-9ee6-b2979fbbd9dbPost:3fe7b244-d024-435d-acfa-0f08617f8198">Re: Self-entitled millennial makes me want to scream.</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Self-entitled millennial makes me want to scream. : This doesn't apply in this kid's case, because he was offered a good job and turned it down, but generally, this mindset bugs me a little bit. When I was unemployed, people kept telling me, "Oh, just go get a job at Target for the time being until you find a real job."  I have a law degree.  Target is not going to hire me.  I'm overqualified and they know that the minute I get something better, I'll leave, which, well...I would.  I applied for tons of retail and service industry jobs and didn't even get an interview.  It's harder than you might think to just go get any old job out there when you have a decent education.

My FI worked as a security guard a couple of years, and was actually treated as more disposable than other non-educated guards.  Management KNEW that as soon as he got a better offer he'd be out.

But this situation is more like if you found a job for a low-paying legal assistant or court clerk and passed it up because it was a  step backward for your career.
    murrayed
  • wtf. I'd be ecstatic to have $40K right now. $40K >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> $0.

and I agree with Brie. there's a part of me that thought about applying for minimum wage jobs just to put money in our bank account while I'm waiting for jobs to call me back, but there's no way places like that will hire someone with two bachelor's degrees, one of which is nursing.

Glenna Harding Photography
  • I'd take a $40K-a-year job in a heartbeat. I have a Masters and no debt and still can barely afford to support myself. It's one thing to want a better job, but to act so entitled is ridiculous.
  • Oh, don't get me wrong, I think he's a hosebeast for turning down a $40K/year job.

I just do think there is this fallacy of "oh, just go get any old entry-level position out there" which, for people who have degrees (college or otherwise) isn't always applicable.  If I'm a manager at Target hiring a cashier, and I have 3 applicants, one with a HS degree, one with a college degree, one with a grad degree, I'd hire the one with the HS degree assuming they were all equally pleasant people because I'd assume that person would be more interested in the position long-term. 

But yeah, I would have taken the first job offer I got when I was looking, no matter what.
    two years!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I mean, $40k is AWESOME. With no student loan debt you can live pretty well off of that if you find a place with a couple of roommates.

And if he moved somewhere cheaper than Boston, he'd be made.  Living here in Denver, I had my first apartment while I was making $9.50/hour and paying 2 credit cards plus student loans.  I didn't exactly live the high life, but I wasn't eating Ramen every night either.  People can make it work if they want to, and 40k in a lot of cities is more than enough to live off of.
  • edited July 2010
    Well I guess call me self-entitled then. I have zero college debt and I'm sorry, but I'm not looking to work at Burger King with my degree. Not like they'd hire me either. It's a huge catch 22. I don't have the experience for the jobs I'm applying for and the other jobs won't take me because I have a degree. I don't think it's a bad thing to 'hold out' for a job in your field. I don't think a job in food services is really going to help me get a job in PR. But then again, I can't even get hired as admin, and I do have experience there.

Edit: Not to mention, taking a full time job that has nothing to do with what you want to be in taks away a shitton of time where you could be applying for jobs you do want. However, 5 resume's a week? Please.
    "In the old days my ass would be in your back yard picking cotton, so excuse me if I don't put much stock in how f*cking awesome the old days were." -Nuggs
  • baystateapplebaystateapple member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited July 2010
    I'm also wondering what's going on with this kid's parents.

My parents told me explicitly, years before I graduated from college, that I was welcome to stay with them as long as I wanted -- but I'd be paying rent as soon as I graduated from college. 

I don't think that saying "sure, you can stay with us for free until you find a job that you think is worthy of you" is setting the best example by any stretch of the imagination.  It'd be one thing if Scott was working his tail off and no opportunities were presenting themselves.  But to have turned down a perfectly good job...and still be allowed to stay with Mom and Dad for free?

• In Response to Re: Self-entitled millennial makes me want to scream.:
    [QUOTETHAT'S going to work out well.  The legal industry is so fuucked up right now, and you are going to incur so much debt, you will be even more screwed than you are now when you get out. 

::bursts into tears::

• Claims adjuster at large insurance company =/= Target cashier or Burger King.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_self-entitled-millennial-want-scream?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:1c820431-a6d2-4793-9ee6-b2979fbbd9dbPost:f3a5c1e6-584e-45d1-84f2-838a198d8e99">Re: Self-entitled millennial makes me want to scream.</a>:
    [QUOTE]Well I guess call me self-entitled then. I have zero college debt and I'm sorry, but I'm not looking to work at Burger King with my degree. Not like they'd hire me either. It's a huge catch 22. I don't have the experience for the jobs I'm applying for and the other jobs won't take me because I have a degree. I don't think it's a bad thing to 'hold out' for a job in your field. I don't think a job in food services is really going to help me get a job in PR. But then again, I can't even get hired as admin, and I do have experience there.
    Posted by louisvillebride21[/QUOTE]

As a college grad, I don't think I'd take a minimum wage job. I would not be happy at BK, so I really don't blame you. However, it is HARD to get a big corporate job just out of college, especially when he majored in political science and history. I majored in economics and finance and trying to find a job when I had applicable business skills was really tough.

I think holding out for a DREAM job in this kind of economy is a bit ridiculous. He was offered a $40k a year cushy desk job that would have opened doors to other jobs. That's a bit idiotic.
  • I understand that there's a difference, but I posted to bring some thought back into this. Everyone was jumping on how stupid he was and being all 'get a job anywhere, something's better than nothing!!!11!!". But as Brie pointed out, you can't just walk into any job like that with a degree. Yes, I agree dude is an asshat, but the conversation was getting more broad and kinda irrational.
    "In the old days my ass would be in your back yard picking cotton, so excuse me if I don't put much stock in how f*cking awesome the old days were." -Nuggs
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_self-entitled-millennial-want-scream?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:1c820431-a6d2-4793-9ee6-b2979fbbd9dbPost:f3a5c1e6-584e-45d1-84f2-838a198d8e99">Re: Self-entitled millennial makes me want to scream.</a>:
    [QUOTE]Well I guess call me self-entitled then. I have zero college debt and I'm sorry, but I'm not looking to work at Burger King with my degree. Not like they'd hire me either. It's a huge catch 22. I don't have the experience for the jobs I'm applying for and the other jobs won't take me because I have a degree. I don't think it's a bad thing to 'hold out' for a job in your field. I don't think a job in food services is really going to help me get a job in PR. But then again, I can't even get hired as admin, and I do have experience there. Edit: Not to mention, taking a full time job that has nothing to do with what you want to be in taks away a shitton of time where you could be applying for jobs you do want. However, 5 resume's a week? Please.
    Posted by louisvillebride21[/QUOTE]

I see what you're saying, as I kind of felt the same way when looking for a job (but I worked for DH at the time when I needed to). However, it's the people who are totally out of work and constantly bitching about having no money that annoy me, because there are jobs like that available. When you have kids to feed, bills to pay, whatever, I think many would be happy to take what they can get until a better opportunity comes along.

My brother works at McDonalds and they pased a new rule saying they will no longer be hiring teenagers (he got grandfathered in at 16). They only hire adults who have been laid off or can't find work just so they have a paycheck coming in. One guy my brother works with has a Masters in history, but the school systems are in such trouble in that area that he can't find anything else.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards