Christian Weddings
Options

Wedding during Lent?

HI All,
I recently became engaged and have always wanted to do a late March/early April wedding.  Problem is, I was told this morning by my mother that it is taboo to have a wedding during Lent (Lent in 2014 is March 5-April 20th).  Does anyone know about this?  I am WELS Lutheran if that makes a difference.  I'm sure the easy answer is going to be to ask my Pastor about it, but I wanted to see if anyone has any knowledge about it before I go there!
Thanks!

Re: Wedding during Lent?

• Options
    HI All,
    I recently became engaged and have always wanted to do a late March/early April wedding.  Problem is, I was told this morning by my mother that it is taboo to have a wedding during Lent (Lent in 2014 is March 5-April 20th).  Does anyone know about this?  I am WELS Lutheran if that makes a difference.  I'm sure the easy answer is going to be to ask my Pastor about it, but I wanted to see if anyone has any knowledge about it before I go there!
    Thanks!</~root~>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_wedding-during-lent?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:fe608bd1-a2e4-4c04-929c-129865eb1b8fPost:0c144512-825d-4213-b666-0d054d256af5">Wedding during Lent?</a>:
    [QUOTE]HI All, I recently became engaged and have always wanted to do a late March/early April wedding.  Problem is, I was told this morning by my mother that it is taboo to have a wedding during Lent (Lent in 2014 is March 5-April 20th).  Does anyone know about this?  I am WELS Lutheran if that makes a difference.  I'm sure the easy answer is going to be to ask my Pastor about it, but I wanted to see if anyone has any knowledge about it before I go there! Thanks!
    Posted by fishnut14[/QUOTE]
    <p class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size:8.5pt;line-height:115%;">I'm not a Lutheran but I do know my church does not do wedding during Lent.  Since Lent isn't really a time of joy and more about abstinence I doubt any church that observes Lent would celebrate.  Can you have a late April wedding?  </span></p>
    "Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person's ultimate good as far as it can be obtained"-C.S. Lewis

Married! May 27th, 2012

• Options
    As a Catholic, our church takes Lent really seriously, but I've even heard of Catholic weddings during Lent.  *Some* parishes will let you do them, so I'm assuming *some" Lutheran ones might too.

But stay away from Holy Week and Easter weekend.  I think that would be really taboo. 

If at all possible, try to have your wedding after Easter.  It's such a joyous time anyway... perfect for a wedding!

SaveSave
  • Options
    My Penecostal Church has no problem with a wedding during Lent.  Easter and the week before would be an issue, but one of my good friends is getting married on Saturday...  the "lent" issue wasn't ever even mentioned. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    im WELS also, and ive never heard that. i would talk to your pastor he would know for sure.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards