Military Brides

Wedding planning from overseas?!

I am supposed to be moving to Bahrain with my fiance and I don't know how to approach planning from overseas. Everything I do, will have to be via e-mail or skype and the option of a DIY project isn't looking too bright. Any advice on how to go about this or cope will be appreciated!

Re: Wedding planning from overseas?!

• jahornjahorn member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I hear you.  I have moved so many times that I don't remember what unempty boxes look like!  My FI just got home from Iraq.  He is in the airforce but in computer systems, not a pilot.  Well he just got a promotion to train people in Fort Bragg (Army) and so after just settling in Arkansas at the AFB we just moved to Fort Bragg.  He is not overseas, but most likely will have to set up the Army with the technolgy they are putting in place and so he will be back for several months.  We were going to do a tropical beachy destination wedding cuz everyone we love lives somewhere across the US, but now I found out it is hurricane season in Sept!  OMG I could cry!
  • VraechelVraechel member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Do a tropical destination wedding in Hawaii, it's still pretty summery here in September. You might get some tropical showers but it is rare for it to pour that time of year. It's just now getting rainy. I'm planning a wedding from Hawaii to Minnesota. My husbands family lives there, so that's where we are doing it. Every vender I talk with has been really good about doing stuff over email. You're right DIY projects are harder, I'm having some stuff shipped to his parents house there and then I can assemble the week before. It is frustrating sometimes waiting for a response, but it has worked out so far. My one biggest tip is make sure you put the time difference in the beginning of all communications! I'm super burnt out with venders calling me at 3am-8am in MN
  • nccatimnccatim member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I hope that the hurricane season is the same as here Jahorn, warnings but nothing ever happens, just great weather! and that is a lot of moving, the only positive side of that i can think of is that it's nearly impossible to hoard things!

and I thought of having a destination wedding, but a lot of my friends and family won't be able to attend and same thing with him. we don't mind having a VA wedding since most of our friends are here, its just the planning that is insane..I'm lucky that my girls in the bridal party are understanding. and you're right VRaechel, the time difference is a MAJOR component I need to consider because there is a 7 hour difference...I'm asking that my bridal party and master of ceremonies download skype to communicate.

Thanks for responding guys! I don't feel so alone in this far away planning and it makes me feel a lot better!

When are your weddings?

First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ahhh, when indeed. I've booked everything, down to the florist and my husband came home from work TODAY. He's in the Navy and...they told him that he can't take off for the wedding! AWESOME. He missed the birth of our daughter too. For RIMPAC...If it had been a deployment I could see it but for freaking RIMPAC. I bought RIMPAC mugs so we can always remember how much we hate RIMPAC. It might still happen. I'm not holding my breath. I really want to keep my date, we had a JOP wedding, so the 18th of June would be our anniversary and have special meaning but I know we can move things if we have to. It's funny, I think he's more mad than I am. I bought Navy ice cube trays today, and I'm going to get some blue food coloring later ;) Hope he gets the joke.
  • nccatimnccatim member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    LOL! that is an awesome idea..and quite funny. yeah they keep screwing private lives up! on the bright side, you can have two anniversaries! and its nice you have all the stuff lined up. i'm having the messiest time trying to find a venue~! i hope you end up having the date you want!
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    yeah, they are pretty brutal. The Eng on the boat was engaged. His FI called off the wedding and the captain said that he was glad because he didn't want to have to tell him he couldn't have leave... I kind of want to surprise my husband with a grooms cake in the shape of a submarine...I think he'd laugh...or cry ;) I ran into some issues finding a venue too. My husband really likes the idea of getting married on a boat. He did sailing in college and of course is in the navy. I finally found one that would work but it took a ton of work. His family is going to take a ton of pictures. My biggest problem is the flowers. I really want plumeria, and found some wonderful plumeria DIY centerpiece idea...but I just don't know if they'd make it. You can have them shipped from HI but they might be kind of sad...I'm a little nervous to do it. Might try orchids instead.
  • nccatimnccatim member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

you could probably ask a florist what looks similar to plumeria but lasts longer too. oh the groom's cake...i'm  hoping to get the tazmanian devil with a TN vols cap and bright orange chucks.

The boat idea we almost did, we just needed to keep in mind the peopl that might get sea sick. lol

First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm not really worried about people getting sea sick. It's not like it's open ocean. I've been on a few dinner cruises here in HI and I've actually never seen anyone be barfing over the edge and we have much rougher waters than they do on the river in MN. Although I may purchase some ginger tablets. They had those on the ferry from Maui to Oahu. That was kind of a rough ride I'm sad they closed it down it was so convenient. As for the plumeria it's the smell that's really amazing. I'm going to order some loose here and do a test to see how long they stay nice. They are so inexpensive and pretty I'd love to have thousands of them around. They are like $100 for a 1000.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards