Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Rubbed the wrong way. Trying to keep perspective.

My FMIL has actually been wonderful during our wedding planning process thus far. Her and FFIL have generously offered to pay for the rehearsal dinner, but she asked me to plan it. She gave me a price range and I sent her a sample menu and a price quote today. She requested some changes to the food (which I'm totally cool with, that's why I sent her the menu) and she asked me how many were invited.

I told her 18 because that's parents + bridal party + bridal party SO's + JOP. She emailed me back questioning the inclusion of dates and stating that her other son had invited just parent and bridal party. I emailed her back explaining that etiquette requires that social units be invited together. She email's me back suggesting that we ask her other son who he invited. I genuinely thought SO's had been at their rehearsal dinner and I said as much. She emailed me back asserting that the MOH's husband had been at the pool during RD and that he had eaten alone.

At this point I'm getting irritated. Her son did a number of rude things including a cash bar, lack of ceremony seating and lack of thank you notes and I'm not using him as a basis for our wedding. I emailed her back (trying to remain polite) and explained that our bridal party is coming a day early, is paying for 2 nights hotel accomodations and that I wouldn't feel comfortable telling their romantic partners to go find their own food. She replies back "I’m sure FFIL and I can accommodate a few more if that is what you both want!"

Which I guess I should be happy with. But, maybe I'm reading between the lines here, but I feel like the "both want" remarks is suggesting that I'm being bridezilla and she thinks my fiance would be fine with not inviting SO's. I'm not even going to bring it up again. I would rather pay for RD ourselves then tell SO's that they have to go feed themselves. But I don't think it will come to that. The whole exchange just rubbed me the wrong way though and I feel kinda irritated now.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Rubbed the wrong way. Trying to keep perspective.

• Options
    I think you handled that the best way possible. If she continues pushing it, ask your FI if he can step in.

Take a deep breath and rock on with knowing you're treating your guests the best possible way!
  • Options
    I would offer to pay for the difference (she can decline if she wants). I would stop doing it over e-mail... and anytime you feel tension or an argument, I would give it to FI to talk to her about.

I've learned all my lessons with FMIL.
    image   imageimage
    You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_rubbed-the-wrong-way-trying-to-keep-perspective?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:e9cb0590-466a-46bf-a394-e24a4ba976d0Post:e8153c42-b654-451f-b3f8-38d7e5a3ee37">Re: Rubbed the wrong way. Trying to keep perspective.</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would offer to pay for the difference (she can decline if she wants). I would stop doing it over e-mail... and anytime you feel tension or an argument, I would give it to FI to talk to her about. I've learned all my lessons with FMIL.
    Posted by MuppetFan[/QUOTE]

I think doing it over email was actually good for me. By using email I was able to craft polite responses. Where as if we had been speaking over the phone my irritation would have definitely been discerned through my tone of voice and lack of eloquence. My fiance, god love him, is such a door mat when it comes to his parents that I don't think I could really trust him to handle differences of opinion.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    While the party line is to always let each member of the couple deal with their own parents, I don't think that's always possible. If she brings it up again or has other issues, I'd just reply with something like "Brother's wedding was beautiful, but this is the decision that FI and I reached together. Thank you for being so supportive / understanding / great."
  • Options
    I'd be rubbed the wrong way too.  After you told her proper etiquette would be to include SOs she should have dropped it, not pushed you to ask FBIL who he invited.  At least it sounds like she's *probably* on board now.  If she does bring it up again I'd offer to pay for the extras and have FI handle it beyond that. (Perhaps she just needs to hear from him that he agrees SOs need to be invited for her to drop it)
  • Options
    Hopefully she'll just drop it and not bring it up again. fiance does feel very strongly about properly hosting guests, most especially our bridal party who have gone all out for us, so if she does bring it up to him I know he'll agree with me. I just hate it when they put him in a situation where he has to disagree with them. Conflicting with his parents makes him soooo uncomfortable. Thankfully we are never having children so at least I have no fears for the future in that regard.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I think you handled things perfectly. I got quite a lot of this from  my mother when I was plannign our wedding last summer.  My sister had thrown an encore wedding the fall before and Mom kept telling me I should do things like she did.  "No gifts, please" on the invitation, a seriously tiered ceremony, cocktail party and then dinner reception, dress code for the guests in keeping with their theme, etc.

FWIW, I disgree with the "his family, his issue" thing.  You are a couple, as a couple you are making decisions about your wedding [and beyond], you both can and should deal with issues as they come up.  Just as you did.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I think you're handling it well.

I also recommend that your FI learn to grow a backbone.     Just wait until you're married and he has to tell his parents no.    This is easier said than done sometimes but if he doesn't stand up for what you two mutually decide now they'll try this when you're married too.
  • Options
    Hm.  So the budget she set, was that a per person value or the total event value?

If she said something like "I can do a per person plate of $40 including tip," I am thinking she is partially stressed by the volume of guests pushing their expenses so much further than she had anticipated.  If that was the case, I think you might want to consider changing the menu or even the venue, so that the event total comes more in line with her expectations.  So, the issuses are three-fold - communication, your husband's demeanor in times of disagreement, AND money.

If it's just her lack of etiquette, or her basing what you should do on your FBIL's lack of etiquette, then the main issue is communication.  And your husband's demeanor when it comes to conflict.
  • Options
    My MIL thought it was only bridal party and parents as well. I explained to my then FI how rude that was and let him deal with his mother. Though I like her very much, I didn't want to get into an argument with her over etiquette and thought it was better coming from her son. Once it came from him, she was fine with inviting spouses, significant others, and remaining family. 

In addition to that issue, I had a lot of out of town family I wanted to invite, which I offered to pay for. You could always offer to pay for the spouses, etc. if she's being unreasonable, or simply decline her offer to host.

In the end, my ILs ended up giving us a set amount they could afford, and we covered the rest, anyway. It worked out fine, and everyone had a great time.
  • Options
    I think you handling it great.  With another, very different wedding so fresh in her head it is easy to compare.  It might be easy to throw them under the bus, but I'd keep the focus more on you guys doing it "your way"... not giving her the sense that you think it was bad, even if it was.  It might help. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards