Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Westchester County NY: Looking for an Oboe Soloist

Hello,

My wedding will be held in South Salem, NY, and I am in search of an oboe soloist to play at my wedding ceremony.

I have been searching on the Internet without any success, so I was wondering if anyone here knows any oboist who would be willing to play, or could refer me to someone/somewhere for further advice.

Thank you!

Re: Westchester County NY: Looking for an Oboe Soloist

• AddieCakeAddieCake member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited April 2013
    If you post this on your local board (links to the left), you are likely to get more area-specific responses. Good luck!

Also, I would recommend contacting a college or university. Someone in their music department would surely be able to help and probably have students who could do it.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Oh, thank you, I was not aware of local boards.

I was contemplating on contacting local colleges, but was not sure if it would be a rude thing to do (emailing professors asking if their students can play for an event).

Thank you!
  • Not rude as long as you pay the student. Professors and students both want the performance experience and the student wants the money. It's usually win-win. 
    June 16, 2012
  • Some universities have referral services, especially ones with large music schools. If any in you area do, this might be your best bet. You can try emailing professors directly. From an etiquette standpoint, this is fine, but sadly they aren't required to help you. 

A few years ago, I was hired to play music at a wedding at the last minute. The bride had tried emailing professors at the school I was attending at the time, and no one got back to her. About a week before the wedding, a mutual friend put her in touch with me.

Definitely try your local board; they'll have the best leads. Good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I've posted to CraigsList looking for a string trio with some moderate success.

I've also dropped a line to the many local colleges looking for musicians as well.

Contact a local music store to see if they have any recommendations of any teachers or might know any musicians or be able to point you in the right direction.

Good luck!

I think an oboe soloist is something I haven't seen before for a wedding.  Unique idea.  :)
  • Thank you everyone for great hints and feedback!

I will try e-mailiing the school/professors. :)
  • I would try contacting WCC or the BOCES school (both around Valhalla). I loved the music program at WCC, and the professors are great at knowing what students are capable of! I would suggest a payment of $150-$200 if it's just for the ceremony, depending on the length. That's just a suggestion though, but I would definitely offer a payment for it, and it looks great on a musician's resume as well!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards