Not Engaged Yet
Options

Vlog inspired thoughts

I've been watching a lot of YouTube lately, mainly vlogs.
Do you watch any?
I'm fascinated by the amount of personal info people share, and how often they comment on the judgments of their listeners. They are obviously affected by their anonymous critics, and I wonder how they deal. Other than the constant disclaimers they state.
I often feel uncomfortable sharing stuff on here, but I can't bring myself to leave. Love you all too much. And for the most part I feel faceless, but those of you that know my face I'm not afraid to spill stuff to. Mostly...
Do you feel anonymous on here? At least to critics? Or do you not care who sees your business?

Re: Vlog inspired thoughts

• Options
    edited March 2013
    I don't watch any vlogs really.  There are times when I don't share a lot personal feelings or thoughts on here for many reasons.  It might be easy for someone to figure out who I am if they already knew me, otherwise I don't think a random person could figure it out.  What I post on here I don't care who sees it really. 
    Am I making sense?  The cold medicine is making me feel so foggy I just want a nap.

Anniversary

• Options
    I don't really watch vlogs either but I feel the same way as danser.

I'm not going to post personal information on here that I don't want anyone else reading. I feel pretty anonymous on here minus having my sister post on the same board but I tell her everything anyways. If someone came on here that knew me they probably wouldn't be able to figure out who I was unless they were one of my close friends but honestly I don't care who sees what I post on here because it's stuff that I wouldn't mind sharing if someone asked me.
  • Options
    What vlogs to do watch? I honestly never even heard of a vlog, but now I'm very curious...

I don't mind sharing here because pretty much everything I write here is something I would share with a friend. To be honest, the only person I wouldn't really want to read everything I've written here is BF. He really doesn't like sharing anything online (he hardly uses Facebook), and when I created a blog for our puppy, he thought I shared too much information just in telling the whole story about how we got her, so I ended up keeping it "private".
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Yea, what I didn't realize right away is that just about everyone knows about/uses TK. So I've become more cautious since then. The vlog thing came out of me searching for How To videos.
  • Options
    I'm super late to this but I'll answer this. I feel like I'm pretty open on here. I know I'm not as open as some of you ladies but I'm not a very open person in real life either. It takes me a long time to open up in general.

There are some things that BF has asked me not to share on here and I respect that because I think he has a right to determine what is said about him on a website anyone could stumble upon. It's mostly just really intimate details of our relationship he doesn't want shared though, not anything I would really want to talk about or that would commonly come up.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_vlog-inspired-thoughts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:166e0ca6-f5bc-42c7-912f-ac29dd8dbef1Post:4bd7c042-0b46-4081-914d-c532a4fc5aae">Re: Vlog inspired thoughts</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't really watch vlogs either but I feel the same way as danser. I'm not going to post personal information on here that I don't want anyone else reading. I feel pretty anonymous on here minus having my sister post on the same board but I tell her everything anyways. <strong>If someone came on here that knew me they probably wouldn't be able to figure out who I was unless they were one of my close friends</strong> but honestly I don't care who sees what I post on here because it's stuff that I wouldn't mind sharing if someone asked me.
    Posted by mhollister89[/QUOTE]

<div>I hate to tell you this but you have a picture as your avatar and your (I'm guessing) last name as part of your screen name. It's going to be pretty easy for someone who knows you, even if it's only casually, to figure out who you are.</div><div>
    </div><div>I don't watch any vlogs. When I watch YouTube it's usually to listen to a song I want to hear. I've said a lot of things on here that I wouldn't LOVE for those in real life to read, but luckily I have thousands of posts and most of those are over a year old, so I'm not too worried about it at this point :)</div>
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

"You are made of win." -SopChick
    Still here and still fabulous!

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_vlog-inspired-thoughts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:166e0ca6-f5bc-42c7-912f-ac29dd8dbef1Post:72503d53-d36f-41ec-bea3-ad66fa9db1a2">Re: Vlog inspired thoughts</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Vlog inspired thoughts : I hate to tell you this but you have a picture as your avatar and your (I'm guessing) last name as part of your screen name. It's going to be pretty easy for someone who knows you, even if it's only casually, to figure out who you are. I don't watch any vlogs. When I watch YouTube it's usually to listen to a song I want to hear. I've said a lot of things on here that I wouldn't LOVE for those in real life to read, but luckily I have thousands of posts and most of those are over a year old, so I'm not too worried about it at this point :)
    Posted by cu97tiger[/QUOTE]

I don't really mind people I know reading what I post on here too much but I have been wanting to change my screen name which I have no idea how to do. Do you know?
  • Options
    Tiger yeaaa that's a good point. MH you have to create a new account, they don't let you change your SN.
  • Options
    In Response to Re:Vlog inspired thoughts:[QUOTE]I'm super late to this but I'll answer this. I feel like I'm pretty open on here. I know I'm not as open as some of you ladies but I'm not a very open person in real life either. It takes me a long time to open up in general.There are some things that BF has asked me not to share on here and I respect that because I think he has a right to determine what is said about him on a website anyone could stumble upon. It's mostly just really intimate details of our relationship he doesn't want shared though, not anything I would really want to talk about or that would commonly come up. Posted by bethsmiles[/QUOTE]

That's the thing, I've come on here hundreds of times to talk about things I can't IRL or before I can IRL.

The fact that YouTube let's you, maybe even pushes you to use your real name is an interesting thing. Millions are on there, maybe thousands with my name. So does that prevent or limit the nasty criticism comments from YouTubers?
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_vlog-inspired-thoughts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:166e0ca6-f5bc-42c7-912f-ac29dd8dbef1Post:2a5ab441-2854-470e-a343-7dc42966f0fe">Re:Vlog inspired thoughts</a>:
    [QUOTE]Tiger yeaaa that's a good point. MH you have to create a new account, they don't let you change your SN.
    Posted by jenjenniferf[/QUOTE]

Ugh that's pretty lame. I wish I could just merge them somehow. Anyways I may change it later today, I think I know another SN I can use that's less like my last name.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_vlog-inspired-thoughts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:166e0ca6-f5bc-42c7-912f-ac29dd8dbef1Post:a8ed7110-935f-4a9e-bbcd-b40fd94d36b4">Re:Vlog inspired thoughts</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re:Vlog inspired thoughts: That's the thing, I've come on here hundreds of times to talk about things I can't IRL or before I can IRL. The fact that YouTube let's you, maybe even pushes you to use your real name is an interesting thing. Millions are on there, maybe thousands with my name. <strong>So does that prevent or limit the nasty criticism comments from YouTubers?</strong>

We talked about that a lot in a Communication and Technology class I took last year. Being anonymous I think really gives people a sense of freedom to be more rude or crueler than they normally would be. So YouTube pushing people to use their real names probably does cut down the nasty comments at some level.

I still wouldn't do a vlog though! 1) I have nothing that interesting to say and 2) there is no way I have thick enough skin for that!

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_vlog-inspired-thoughts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:166e0ca6-f5bc-42c7-912f-ac29dd8dbef1Post:a8ed7110-935f-4a9e-bbcd-b40fd94d36b4">Re:Vlog inspired thoughts</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re:Vlog inspired thoughts: That's the thing, I've come on here hundreds of times to talk about things I can't IRL or before I can IRL. The fact that YouTube let's you, maybe even pushes you to use your real name is an interesting thing. Millions are on there, maybe thousands with my name. So does that prevent or limit the nasty criticism comments from YouTubers?

I hate YouTube's push to use real names. Every time I log in, I have to tell it no. I may be the only person in the US (possibly the world) with my name, and I don't want it out there all willy-nilly.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_vlog-inspired-thoughts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:166e0ca6-f5bc-42c7-912f-ac29dd8dbef1Post:a9cc5ed6-7c37-4455-b6b2-1caf6dae2915">Re:Vlog inspired thoughts</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re:Vlog inspired thoughts : I hate YouTube's push to use real names. Every time I log in, I have to tell it no. I may be the only person in the US (possibly the world) with my name, and I don't want it out there all willy-nilly.
    Posted by leia1979[/QUOTE]

<div>Yes! Totally agree. It's super annoying. :(</div><div>
    </div><div>I'm not sure if people who know me IRL would know who I am if they just stumbled across NEY. I've seen some not so nice things happen in my time on TK though, so I try to keep personal info and pics to a minimum.</div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div>
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards