DC

Anyone Know of a good Seamstress

Hello,
I'm pretty picky but on a budget. My friend suggested that I find a local seamstress to make my wedding dress. I don't care about designer, I care about the style.

Does anyone know of someone good in the NoVA area?

Thank you!

Re: Anyone Know of a good Seamstress

• I totally agree with previous poster, getting a bridal gown custom made is not in-expensive; just the fabric itself can be pricey (unless you go to another country like Thailand or India), then you have multiple fittings with the seamstress, which takes up your valuable time and finally you will have to pay the seamstress her labor fees--which cost a lot too.  What if you don't like the way the dress is turning out?  There is usually a no-refund fee.
    Best to buy a sample gown from a bridal salon and then have it changed to your liking.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_dc_anyone-know-of-a-good-seamstress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:57Discussion:b8c8a92a-44f5-4820-8938-e770441f7886Post:15a7f017-0241-410c-b5c4-208de2066ebb">Re: Anyone Know of a good Seamstress</a>:
    [QUOTE]I totally agree with previous poster, getting a bridal gown custom made is not in-expensive; just the fabric itself can be pricey (unless you go to another country like Thailand or India), then you have multiple fittings with the seamstress, which takes up your valuable time and finally you will have to pay the seamstress her labor fees--which cost a lot too.  What if you don't like the way the dress is turning out?  There is usually a no-refund fee. Best to buy a sample gown from a bridal salon and then have it changed to your liking.
    Posted by cayharrop[/QUOTE]

Thank you!
  • Or a bridesmaid dress in white or ivory!
  • Jeanette's in Manassas has a pretty good selection of dresses on a lower budget, and they'll usually work with you if you want a sample gown.  Good luck!
    I french with my man
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • edited April 2013
    I would recommend at least talking to a seamstress or two, just to see if they can do something in your budget.

The best-kept secret in NOVA is Angie Cavallaro in Fairfax- she works out of her home, which helps keep her prices down, and she does amazing work.  I just did alterations with her, but I know she does custom gowns.  She doesn't have a website or anything, but you can reach her at acav5@verizon.net

Her weddingwire reviews are here: http://www.weddingwire.com/reviews/angie-cavallaro-fairfax/ad3f5e9fccec110e.html

Just to prove I'm not giving you some random email address.  :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards