Wedding Etiquette Forum

Etiquette Guru

Hi all! I'm mostly a lurker and have really enjoyed reading your thoughtful advice. My question is, other than this board, who do you trust for etiquette advice? I have seen websites and books that claim to be about proper wedding etiquette, yet they appear outdated or flat-out wrong. I really want to make sure that I am doing things properly so any advice you can give for other sources of etiquette would be appreciated. Thanks!

Re: Etiquette Guru

• I would say the age-old standard would be Emily Post. Besides this board, that's who I would use.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_etiquette-guru?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:cad2138a-cfa9-4053-a00a-8771bd7f3421Post:a60d5ca5-a5dd-4578-8cc4-3e19ae21b9e0">Re: Etiquette Guru</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would say the age-old standard would be Emily Post. Besides this board, that's who I would use.
    Posted by lilphillips14[/QUOTE]

I prefer Miss Manners.    I own an Emily Post book but find that as her "name" is now managed by those looking to profit, their etiquette has strayed with it.

For wedding invitations, I stick with Crane's.
  • Umm.  I don't really know.  I'll be honest I've never read any of the etiquette books.  The major stuff that directly affect the guests is pretty much common sense to me based on my upbringing.    When you come to my house I offer you something to drink or eat and do not ask for payment.  If I invite you over around noon, I will offer you lunch.  If there are 5 people and only 4 chairs, I will stand.  If you are vegan I'm not going to serve you a hamburger.  I would never only invite you and not  your SO because I haven't met them yet.    Stuff like that I do in everyday life.  Why would I change just because I'm hosting a wedding?

Some stuff like labels vs handwritten envelopes just I have a tougher time trusting the experts.   Computers and at-home-printers didn't exist when some of these "rules" were created.    Not only that I fail to see HOW your name gets on the envelope directly affects you.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I prefer Miss Manners over Emily Post.  Emily died many many years ago and her family took over.  They are part of the wedding industry and that is a turn off to me.  Miss Manners is far more timeless and proper etiquette doesn't change because it is 2013.  Good proper manners are timeless.
  • I prefer Miss Manners over Emily Post's demon spawn. I also like Amy Vanderbilt's older work, before it was edited over.
  • Thank you all! I appreciate the suggestions. I noticed that Emily Post seemed wrong somehow when I checked out her site. I will try Miss Manners and continue to check this board. Thanks again!
  • I also really enjoy Etiquette Hell and Hell's Bells. Great blogs.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards