Military Brides

Memorial Day weekend USN Wedding

Hello everyone! I had a few questions for you all. Love some feedback, info and ideas from you all. I'm marrying my fiancée of 10 years. Yes, that is a long time. :) LOL...Anyway, we are having a Memorial Day weekend wedding this year on Sunday, the day before MD. We are having an evening wedding. He is an 04 in the USN, and the event will be in Full military dress uniform. All groomsmen are military officers, and even our base Chaplin is officiating. We are getting married in St. Augustine, FL. We are having a formal wedding, with the sabers, and our color scheme is black, ivory and gold. Ok..so now onto my question...

With it being MD weekend, any ideas as to how we can incorporate MD into our ceremony? Either in the ceremony itself, or reception ideas? Any tributes? Or possibly hang the Navy Flag, and US Flag. Maybe all branches hanging near the serving line? Something along that line? We want to honor all military since we will be having guests from all branches there.

Thanks in advance everyone!! :)

Re: Memorial Day weekend USN Wedding

• I would do a Table for the Fallen at the reception.  There are a ton of images and descriptions on the net if you want tot Google it.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_memorial-day-weekend-usn-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:2cfe685a-b23c-4a25-861a-b9a038d9168dPost:5e77dadc-95ff-4846-a86a-305665d26476">Re: Memorial Day weekend USN Wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would do a Table for the Fallen at the reception.  There are a ton of images and descriptions on the net if you want tot Google it.  
    Posted by iluvmytxrgr[/QUOTE]

<div>THANKS!! :) I have seen this before at our dining outs and balls. Very moving tribute. Thanks for the suggestion.</div>
  • manjermjmanjermj member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited April 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_memorial-day-weekend-usn-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:2cfe685a-b23c-4a25-861a-b9a038d9168dPost:5e77dadc-95ff-4846-a86a-305665d26476">Re: Memorial Day weekend USN Wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would do a Table for the Fallen at the reception.  There are a ton of images and descriptions on the net if you want tot Google it.  
    Posted by iluvmytxrgr[/QUOTE]

<div>I 2nd this! We did this for our wedding in January. Had a table for the fallen set up and then after the toasts and before the blessing, one of our groomsmen (another Marine officer) read what everything symbolized. Our guests loved it.</div>
  • Fabulous! Thanks! Also, did you all ever add anything to your vows that addressed the military? We are having a non-denominational ceremony, and would like to incorporate something personal about "do you promise to wash his flight suits on a regular basis, always remembering to never add fabric softener." :-) Something along that line that is cute, but still keep many of the vows traditional. Any suggestions there?
  • Sorry, can't help you with that part. We had a Catholic wedding with a full mass, so we didn't have any room for changing things. Lol
  • I can't help with that.  We were both in the military when we got married.  We didn't want anything military in our wedding.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I would never promise to wash H's flight suits. Too many pockets to check. Our officiant compared marriage to a helicopter. I'll be 100 honest, I'm a military dweeb and even I thought it was cheesy.
    I hate Dave Ramsey
  • To a helicopter?? HA! I would have to hear the rest of that analogy. ;-)
    Yes..no fabric softener on flight suits. That's a big no-no. ;-) I learned that early on.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards