October 2013 Weddings

Invite Question

After seeing Stina's gorgeous invites, I'm looking at my own again and realized I didn't have any info about the reception on there. Whoops! 

So, here's my question. I have an enclosure card that has a small map on it (not a Google maps map, a map I designed/traced on a "real" map to get the roads correct). I think I'm going to put addresses on there. I also have a "Hotel Information" enclosure card with the phone number & address on there. So what I'm thinking of putting on this card are the addresses for the ceremony and then for the reception.

Now, what do I "title" this card? My RSVP card has "RSVP" across the top. The hotel info card says "Where to Stay". The map originally said "Map". Can I keep it as just "Map"?

ETA: Am I missing any other addresses?

Re: Invite Question

• Stina51286Stina51286 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper
    edited April 2013
    The card that says "Reception" states where the reception is at and what time cocktails and whatnot are.

The map card says "Directions"

I would probably put the ceremony information on the invite itself.

• Info or Information 
  • Hmm. I'm trying to limit my enclosure cards to 3 total. I may just have to get rid of the map all together... Bummer. I sort of like it.
  • Ro041Ro041 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Our reception card is titled: "We Look Forward to Celebrating With You!"  

Could you put the reception info on one side and the map on the back?

• Okay. Did a quick mockup without the map. The only thing I have to include on the reception card is the address and the time it starts. It's so empty!

I don't really want to put the church's address on the invite portion - it would be too cluttered. But it looks weird to have the ceremony address on the Reception card... We're not having a cocktail hour. Dinner will be starting when the reception starts since we're doing an appetizer style dinner, rather than any sort of sit down anything.

..help! I thought these were done... Sigh.
  • Are you trying to go traditional or just trying to put info on there?

Your wedding invite itself has the church name and start time. You don't even need a street address - just Name of Church and then City, State.

The reception card is an enclosure that then tells where the reception will be held. Generally there isn't a lot of information on this.  (I believe in the past, you could invite people to the church but not the reception, so the reception card was only for guests invited to both)

Reception card wording can be something like:

Cocktails, dinner and dancing immediately following the ceremony, and then the address:

However, we are getting rid of the reception card since all invited guests are invited to both the ceremony and the reception.  At the bottom of our wedding invite, it says:

"Reception to immediately follow
    Name of reception venue
    City, state"

There is also no gap in time between our ceremony and reception, and both locations are under 5 miles away from each other.

Honestly, I dislike when wedding invites contain multiple pieces of paper - it just adds so much unnecessary bulk and can look sloppy. My vote would be to pare down as much as possible and don't put in paper that is not necessary.  We are keeping it down to the invite itself (church and reception information on there) and the rsvp card. When me, FI, my mom and FI's mom met the other week, we even discussed ditching the rsvp card altogether, but then decided to keep it (traditionally, it isn't necessary:  

Our wedding web site has hotel information (but we don't have a hotel block - but the nearest hotel is listed as well as the phone numbers and other information), as well as the full street address for the church and the actual start time for the reception (rather than just "immediately following") 

People have google, or can contact any family members if they have any questions about exact locations. 

We are following Emily Post:

("honour of your presence", FI's is listed as Mr. First Middle Last Name, city and state listed for ceremony location, titles spelled out, etc.)

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

image 293 (Adults) Invited
    image198 Yes (+ 12 children and 3 babies)
    image95 No
    image0 Unknown

• I would love to cut out one of the cards all together. But EVERY time someone asks me a question I will respond with, "It's on our wedding website." "It is?" "Yes." "What's the address?" "It's on your save the date." "Really?" "Yes. The front and the back." "Oh. So what's the address?"

Honestly, I have no problem telling people that the information is all on our website. But, I'm concerned that none of our guests have actually looked at the frigging thing. I realize we're still 6 months out, so they don't really "need" to look yet.

I don't really want/need it to be traditional. We are having a gap (I can feel the stabs from the E board already) and so I do want to include the reception start time on the printed invites. All of our guests are invited to the reception as well, but I feel like there needs to be an "information" card, or something, with all of the addresses on there. I'm the computer person in my family. Yea, they all have Google and computers and heck, most of them have iPhones. But, that doesn't mean any of them actually use the darn things.

Let me dig through my files & I'll show you ladies what I have right now.
  • I personally think the map idea is really cute.  If you put on that the church location with a heart maybe and the reception location with a music note or dance shoes or something playful or even a martini glass I think people will get the hint.  Especially if your reception is immediately following the ceremony, people should know to go to one then the next.  If you just have the invitation card, the Information card that has the map on it and maybe the website on the back just in case and the response card you should be good to go.

By the way Tom and I have had to tell countless friends about the website, and yes it was included in the STD, I'm guessing people are just lazy.
  • Ro041Ro041 member
    We have the RSVP card, and the Reception card.  At the bottom of the reception card it says, "Far accommodations and additional information, please visit....."  The invite has the church's address (there is more than one church with this name in my city) and the address for the reception is on the reception card.  

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_october-2013-weddings_invite-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:1925524f-fa8b-432f-a7b5-be486ce756efDiscussion:c0e680fb-daf5-4315-b837-ee9522b64391Post:32684ab0-da20-4e4e-add7-7571bee0616b">Re: Invite Question</a>:
    [QUOTE]We have the RSVP card, and the Reception card.  At the bottom of the reception card it says, "Far accommodations and additional information, please visit....."  The invite has the church's address (there is more than one church with this name in my city) and the address for the reception is on the reception card.  
    Posted by Rochelle041[/QUOTE]

<div>This is what we have also</div>
    image 209 Invited
    image 151 Yes
    image 46 No

Daisypath Wedding tickers 

• We have what Hannah and Rochelle have.  The church address is at the bottom of the invitation.  We have a Reception card that gives the name of the library and address, and we have the RSVP card.
  • The actual invite:

Hotel Info:

Map:

and RSVP:
  • Ro041Ro041 member
    Those look awesome!  I am still of the opinion that the map can go on the back of your "Where to Stay" card.

• I agree with Rochelle. I also like those.

• Okay. So, should I just say "screw the reception address" then, or put it on the bottom of the map card?
  • Ro041Ro041 member
    I would put the reception address somewhere.  I just don't think the map needs its own card.  The map can go on the back of the "Where to Stay" card and you can have a small card for the reception info.  

• I'll have to see how much it costs to print double sided, and if the paper I have chosen will hold up to it. :) Thanks!
  • Update: I got a printing price quote back from C&P. It's almost $40 cheaper to cut out one of the enclosure cards and do the double sided printing. I'm leaning towards it. Especially because it means the invites will weigh less... FH just has to OK this plan.

What I would do is put the map on one side of the card & then the hotel, reception, & ceremony info on the other. It would be "Info" on one side and "Map" on the other.
  • Ro041Ro041 member
    edited April 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_october-2013-weddings_invite-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:1925524f-fa8b-432f-a7b5-be486ce756efDiscussion:c0e680fb-daf5-4315-b837-ee9522b64391Post:6f604944-2544-4b50-89da-2b431c67c950">Re: Invite Question</a>:
    [QUOTE]Update: I got a printing price quote back from C&P. It's almost $40 cheaper to cut out one of the enclosure cards and do the double sided printing. I'm leaning towards it. Especially because it means the invites will weigh less... FH just has to OK this plan. What I would do is put the map on one side of the card & then the hotel, reception, & ceremony info on the other. It would be "Info" on one side and "Map" on the other.
    Posted by lplions[/QUOTE]

<div>Awesome update!  Glad it is working out for you.</div>

• So FH Ok'd the double sided printing plan. So on one side will be the map that I previously posted, and the other side will have something like this:

I've already fixed the ceremony info so the church name is all on one line. What do you ladies think about the rest of it? Also, I'm thinking the "Information" side will be facing out, rather than the map. Or, should the map be out?
  • Looks good! I would do info side out.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards