Honeymoon Discussions
Options

Belize

My fiance and I are thinking about going to Belize for our October '13 wedding. For anyone who's been there, can you share some thoughts/pointers? Thanks! Happy friday!

Re: Belize

• Options
    I went to Belize 4 years ago and had a wonderful time. We stayed in the Cayo for 5 days and then on Ambergris for 4. We liked the Cayo soooo much more than Ambergris. While staying in the Cayo we went to Tikal in Guatamala and to Actun Tunich Miknal, which is a cave the Mayans used for rituals-it's a once in a lifetime experience. It does require a 45 minute hike, a short swim, and crawling through some tight spaces, so you need to be in OK shape to do it. But our group had a few people over 60, as well as some 10-12 year olds and they handled it just fine. We stayed at the Black Rock Lodge, which is an eco-lodge. It was perfect for us, the food was amazing, lots of activities (horse back riding, hikes, canoeing, etc). If you want something more luxurious and a little more American, Chaa Creek is in the same area. 

The reef off of Ambergris is AMAZING-great snorkeling, however the beaches are TERRIBLE. If you want nice beaches, you need to go down to Placencia. 

• Options

Agree with daria about Ambergis. We stayed a Victoria House and while Ioved the hotel and my time there, the beach was very small, not very soft, and the water was filled with sea grass. I'd go back to Belize, though.

• Options
    Great, thanks for the feedback :)
  • Options
    I would recommend a day trip to Tikal
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    skigal08skigal08 member
    First Comment
    edited April 2013

I think a lot of where you want to go in Belize depends on what you want to do.  Cayo District has some Mayan Ruins and various adventure tourism activities. I stayed at Chaa Creek two years ago and absolutely loved it and have been looking for a place similar to that for my honeymoon.  Chaa Creek Lodge is very expensive but absolutely amazing and peaceful; ideal honeymoon spot. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards