Attire & Accessories Forum

Friends dress is too small!

I have a friend getting married in...3 weeks?  The fourth of May.  FI and I are in their wedding, she just called me to ask where I get my alterations done because her dress is too small!  She just got it.  My alterations lady is booked.  She's freaking out so I'm here to alleviate her concerns (or try).  Her dress is a corset back.  I thought I heard they can put expanders in corset dresses....is this possible?  I'm guessing it probably needs to be taken out two sizes, It's not really close to even snapping and the back of the corset leaves a space where you can see her back (get what I'm saying). 

Is it possible for this dress to be let out?
Edit for spelling

June 1, 2013 - finally making it official!

Re: Friends dress is too small!

• itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited April 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_friends-dress-is-too-small?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:15Discussion:8cc02e2c-b8fe-4a30-9f93-8ac599a8bc4ePost:6e22b2cc-9480-4c1a-a6ac-4cbaa98c4072">Friends dress is too small!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have a friend getting married in...3 weeks?  The fourth of May.  FI and I are in there wedding, she just called me to ask where I get my alterations done because her dress is too small!  She just got it.  My alterations lady is booked.  She's freaking out so I'm here to alleviate her concerns (or try).  Her dress is a corset back.  I thought I heard they can put expanders in corset dresses....is this possible?  I'm guessing it probably needs to be taken out two sizes, It's not really close to even snapping and the back of the corset leaves a space where you can see her back (get what I'm saying).  Is it possible for this dress to be let out?
    Posted by Shannon1401[/QUOTE]

How was she allowed to leave the seamstress and/or bridal shop without a dress that fits?

I'm sure she can get a larger modesty panel for the back of her dress. I still want to know who's bright idea it was to send her home with the wrong size dress...?

ETA: If I were her, and it was my fault that my wedding dress was two sizes too small (i.e. weight gain and/or ordering the wrong size with intent to lose weight) I would just go to an off-the-rack place like David's Bridal and buy a new dress in my actual size.
  • I have no clue...the story I am getting is that she ordered her dress, it JUST came in, she tried it on, it's signifigantly too small.  The bridal shop offered to pay alterations, but weren't sure they could let it out.  I know she's put on some weight...so maybe she just gained too much??? The whole thing seems funny!  I told her I'd be throwing a b!tch fit if my dress came in smaller than what I had ordered...but she isn't making a big deal, makes me wonder if she got overly ambitious and ordered it smaller thinking she'd lose weight, and actually gained some.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_friends-dress-is-too-small?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:15Discussion:8cc02e2c-b8fe-4a30-9f93-8ac599a8bc4ePost:d82a45ca-d8fb-462b-99e6-a6b8eb7453a9">Re: Friends dress is too small!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Friends dress is too small! : How was she allowed to leave the seamstress and/or bridal shop without a dress that fits? I'm sure she can get a larger modesty panel for the back of her dress. I still want to know who's bright idea it was to send her home with the wrong size dress...? ETA: If I were her, and it was my fault that my wedding dress was two sizes too small (i.e. weight gain and/or ordering the wrong size with intent to lose weight) I would just go to an off-the-rack place like David's Bridal and buy a new dress in my actual size.
    Posted by itzMS[/QUOTE]

She paid a pretty penny, so I'm thinking this would be her last resort.  I thought you could take a dress out a couple sizes?  Or is that in?  I know she does have a corset, so that is a plus (I think) I'm thinking let it out on the sides and add some fabric in the back maybe?  Ugh, I don't know what happened or why it is too small, but I really do feel for her, no matter whose fault it is.

• itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    Only a seamstress will know if a dress can be let out. Some dresses have absolutely no extra fabric without damaging the entire structure of the dress.

I am still missing how she chose to pay a pretty penny for a dress, but decided to gain weight? Once my final measurements were taken, I did everything in my power to maintain those.

Maybe if you find out what your friend's rationale was, let us know.
  • She said she ordered a size to fit her and it came in, a size too small.  It just came in, so she hasn't had any fititngs yet!  The boutique said they will pay alteration fees because it is their screw up, to just send the bill to them when she finds a seamstress.  She said it is small enough she's concerned that it won't be able to be let out.  I saw it.  It's not HORRIBLE, but there is a good inch in the back that shows her skin because the corset back isn't wide enough.  I thought I heard an expander was an option but not sure.  No one is answering her now (all answering machines) so she's having a panic attack because there is no time to order a new dress.  If it were me, I'd be getting my money back and buying a sample from davids bridal off the rack.  She loves her dress and wants to save it (understandable).  Such a mess.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_friends-dress-is-too-small?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:15Discussion:8cc02e2c-b8fe-4a30-9f93-8ac599a8bc4ePost:9452537b-cd89-49a1-956e-cc0e013f7d09">Re: Friends dress is too small!</a>:
    [QUOTE]She said she ordered a size to fit her and it came in, a size too small.  It just came in, so she hasn't had any fititngs yet!  The boutique said they will pay alteration fees because it is their screw up, to just send the bill to them when she finds a seamstress.  She said it is small enough she's concerned that it won't be able to be let out.  I saw it.  It's not HORRIBLE, but there is a good inch in the back that shows her skin because the corset back isn't wide enough.  I thought I heard an expander was an option but not sure.  No one is answering her now (all answering machines) so she's having a panic attack because there is no time to order a new dress. <strong> If it were me, I'd be getting my money back and buying a sample from davids bridal off the rack.</strong>  She loves her dress and wants to save it (understandable).  Such a mess.

I would actually be going to the bridal store where I bought the dress and taking one of their samples free of charge since it was their major screw up.  If they didn't have any samples I would be buying one at DB and then sending that bill the original bridal salon.

At this point your friend is going to most likely have to go with plan b.  Letting a dress out a whole size is a huge endeavor and it may not even be done.  I would tell her to just start heading to local seamstresses around her in person with dress in hand instead of calling.  Then make an appointment at the local DB or her bridal salon to look for a new dress just in case her original one can't be fixed.

OMG I would be freaking out if this happened to me.

• I know!  I'm really hoping that since it is a corset they can add something in the back to cover her skin....eeek.  I just feel so bad and I wish I could offer her some comfort.

• They can put a wider back panel in it, but it's probably going to look ridiculous, to be honest.  The privacy panel isn't supposed to be the whole width of your back.  I would tell your friend to make the salon give her a sample gown in her size, have it cleaned and altered to her, and return the one that was ordered the wrong size.

Most dresses can be let out one size, but not 2 or 3. If it's that small, alterations may make it fit, but it's likely going to look crazy.
  • Did the salon make a mistake? Or did your friend order the dress a size smaller thinking that she was going to loose weight when she actually gained weigth.

I know when I ordered my dress I had to sign and agree to the size they were ordering.

From my limited knowledge of alterations, it is very rare that you can let a dress out 2 full size. There normally isnt enough extra fabric for that, especially if it already has a corset back.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • A good seamstress can take a size 2 and make it into a size 14.  They key here is to get a good seamstress who can do the job correctly.  If the bridal salon will help pay for the alterations--then take them up on it.  You don't have a lot to worry about, honest!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_friends-dress-is-too-small?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:15Discussion:8cc02e2c-b8fe-4a30-9f93-8ac599a8bc4ePost:4f98d265-fc3f-480c-bd63-cc3ea074304d">Re: Friends dress is too small!</a>:
    [QUOTE]A good seamstress can take a size 2 and make it into a size 14.  They key here is to get a good seamstress who can do the job correctly.  If the bridal salon will help pay for the alterations--then take them up on it.  You don't have a lot to worry about, honest!
    Posted by cayharrop[/QUOTE]

I am sure they could but that would most likely involve just remaking the entire dress completely and a lot longer then 2-3 weeks which is all the bride has before her wedding.  Plus, even though the salon said they would pay for the alterations I am sure there is a limit to what they would pay for, even though they are at fault.  It would probably be less expensive to just give her a sample dress then to pay for such major alterations.

• I agree with Maggie.  She just talked to a seamstress and she thinks she will be able to fix the dress.  Turns out it is roughly two sizes two small.  Luckily there is some fabric on the sides for the dress to be let out and she doesn't think she will need to expand the corset.  Granted, these are all *she thinks* scenarios.  eeek....hopefully this works for her.  I would be sweating it if that were my dress! 

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_friends-dress-is-too-small?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:15Discussion:8cc02e2c-b8fe-4a30-9f93-8ac599a8bc4ePost:0f6f900f-9726-4bcd-baf6-3b9f10ff1955">Re: Friends dress is too small!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have no clue...the story I am getting is that she ordered her dress, it JUST came in, she tried it on, it's signifigantly too small.  The bridal shop offered to pay alterations, but weren't sure they could let it out.  I know she's put on some weight...so maybe she just gained too much??? The whole thing seems funny!  I told her I'd be throwing a b!tch fit if my dress came in smaller than what I had ordered...but she isn't making a big deal, makes me wonder if <strong>she got overly ambitious and ordered it smaller thinking she'd lose weight, and actually gained some.</strong>

This is what I think happened.  My guess is, that is why when she saw the way it fit vs what it should look like, she did not start immediately getting all "you made a mistake bridal shop, now you fix it!"

But, hopefully the seamstress can work it out.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_friends-dress-is-too-small?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:8cc02e2c-b8fe-4a30-9f93-8ac599a8bc4ePost:199aa212-2e06-4a79-8b93-d01fb2f00c6d">Re: Friends dress is too small!</a>:
    [QUOTE]They can put a wider back panel in it, but it's probably going to look ridiculous, to be honest.  The privacy panel isn't supposed to be the whole width of your back.  I would tell your friend to make the salon give her a sample gown in her size, have it cleaned and altered to her, and return the one that was ordered the wrong size. Most dresses can be let out one size, but not 2 or 3. If it's that small, alterations may make it fit, but it's likely going to look crazy.
    Posted by cmgilpin[/QUOTE]

This is what I would do. I'm so sorry for your friend :( this is my worst nightmare
  • i went to try on gowns at a consigment that sells a few years older sample gowns they get from various salons gowns that are discontiuned 85% is sample and the rest is true  used bridal. they fix up everyting for you as they have an on site seemstress. i tried on a bunch of gowns by mori lee she does the corset backs im a 20/22 street but i had to go into size 24-26s and even some of the backs of the corsets did not fully fit. if i get my gown new from a bridal salon i am going to make sure there is enough room in the back for the dress to close up i will specifiy that my dress be custom mesurements. most places will mesure you and then put you in the gown size basied on the manufactures mesurments. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards