Ohio-Cleveland

Bands and DJs

So I'm highly considering getting a band for my reception, problem is the band I'm looking at seems really expensive but I have nothing to really compare it to. How much does the average wedding band run? or does anyone have a good recommendation on a DJ? we are very picky about the music that will be played and are generally not into top 40 type stuff... so if I do go the DJ route I need someone that is really going to stick with the music we like and not stray too much. Suggestions?

Re: Bands and DJs

• mlg78mlg78 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    I'm using Tim Tatko from Magical Sound Entertainment.  He's been great to work with and the sheet he has me completing prior to my wedding is SO specific...it breaks down so many types of music genres and I check off which ones I am okay with playing...and some I'm noting I only want during the dinner hour, others only after 10pm when the older folks have left, etc.

Keep in mind, however...I don't know what type of music you're into but top 40 is "top" for a reason -- a ton of people likes it...and if you want people to have fun and stick around at your wedding, I'd consider allowing some being played.  The more mainstream the music is, the better, in my opinion.

A far as bands, I'm not sure on the cost but they're typically very expensive.  My DJ is $650 I think for 6 hours.
  • ashcolyerashcolyer member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited April 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_ohio-cleveland_bands-and-djs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:110Discussion:cbc23177-4d97-4c22-be42-ffac7a180c7dPost:80eebb73-9b6b-4965-8ea9-beaeb9caafdf">Bands and DJs</a>:
    [QUOTE]So I'm highly considering getting a band for my reception, problem is the band I'm looking at seems really expensive but I have nothing to really compare it to. How much does the average wedding band run? or does anyone have a good recommendation on a DJ? we are very picky about the music that will be played and are generally not into top 40 type stuff... so if I do go the DJ route I need someone that is really going to stick with the music we like and not stray too much. Suggestions?
    Posted by SilverGlitter05[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I don't have any band recommendations but we went with American Bride DJs. While we do enjoy some Top 40 most of our list is varied over many decades and genres (Frank Sinatra, Guns n Roses and Kenny Chesney just to name a few). We discussed this in great deal with the owner before booking. I also really like their online tools that I've been using to set up the reception itinerary. We are paying $575 for 6 hours (an hour free from the bridal show). 

</div>
    Anniversary

imagebam.com
  • KodakMKodakM member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited April 2013
    I can't speak to how much wedding bands cost, but having been to weddings with both, I'd highly recommend a DJ.  While bands can be great, it's important to make sure they have the songs you'd like to hear (on recording if they don't know them).  Also have a plan for breaks.  I was at a wedding where the band wandered off and there was silence for a good 30 minutes.  It was still a fun wedding, but make sure your expectations are known.

We're going with DJ Crew (<a href="http://thedjcrew.com/) for" rel="nofollow">http://thedjcrew.com/) for</a> our wedding, they're a bit more expensive than the others here (around $1200 for the night, including an event coordinator and online tool for keeping track of songs you want to hear).  They were exceptional for my sister's wedding, so we never considered anyone else.  They especially did a great job of integrating some of the more unusual music requests (a Lebanese dabke for our family and a Polish polka for my brother-in-law's) while still keeping the party alive and active the entire time.  All in all, you'll have to think about what atmosphere you want, talk to a few DJs and bands and see what the best fit is for you.  If you do contact DJ Crew, I'd appreciate if you could mention me (Kristen Saad) - we'd both get a discount for the referral.

Another thing to keep in mind, some vendors will give you a discount for "bundling" (for example, our Photobooth provider is Photobooth Cleveland, and they have discounted DJ rates if you book both).  If you mention my name to them (once again, Kristen Saad), we'd both get a discount there. 

Final tip (for vendors in general) - ask about referral discounts in general. If you think you picked a great vendor and/or have seen them in action not only are you spreading the word of good businesses, but you can benefit as well :). Good luck!

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_ohio-cleveland_bands-and-djs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:110Discussion:cbc23177-4d97-4c22-be42-ffac7a180c7dPost:80eebb73-9b6b-4965-8ea9-beaeb9caafdf">Bands and DJs</a>:
    [QUOTE]So I'm highly considering getting a band for my reception, problem is the band I'm looking at seems really expensive but I have nothing to really compare it to. How much does the average wedding band run? or does anyone have a good recommendation on a DJ? we are very picky about the music that will be played and are generally not into top 40 type stuff... so if I do go the DJ route I need someone that is really going to stick with the music we like and not stray too much. Suggestions?
    Posted by SilverGlitter05[/QUOTE]
  • I know someone has already brought up The DJ Crew, just wanted to give you my input too! They DJ crew is amazing! the best of the best! They are amazing to work with and you can plan your entire reception online! They make everything so easy and stressfree! If you mention my name Kyra sodergren they will give you 50 off! They are a little pricey but they give you a change to cut they price down!my wedding is in September and I've had them booked since aug.2012 and I've already cut my bill down quite a bit! every little bit helps! Remember a DJ can make or break a reception! Good Luck!!
  • *CoughDJCrewmultipleaccountsCough*
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"So it's not gonna be easy. It's going to be really hard; we're gonna have to work at this everyday, but I want to do that because I want you. I want all of you, forever, everyday. You and me... everyday."~The Notebook~
  • <div>I don't work for the DJ Crew, I did mention the disclaimer in my post however (they give referral discounts so clients are motivated to talk about them).  I wouldn't advocate if I hadn't seen them in action, but I understand how all the posts about them could make it seem shady.  I just posted (thoughtfully, imo) about my experience with them, take it how you will.</div><div>
    </div>In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_ohio-cleveland_bands-and-djs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:110Discussion:cbc23177-4d97-4c22-be42-ffac7a180c7dPost:083ba1a9-0b54-4517-863e-376dc292b8fb">Re: Bands and DJs</a>:
    [QUOTE]*CoughDJCrewmultipleaccountsCough*
    Posted by MeeJay22[/QUOTE]
  • I'm using DJ Crew too! :)

The guys encourage brides to talk them up for discounts, but I would talk them up either way.  You get what you pay for and they are a little higher than other DJs in the area - hence the amazing service. I am a picky bride and this was something I wasn't willing to "go cheap" on.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards