August 2013 Weddings

Weight Loss and The Dress. Uh-Oh!

I had my gown at the shop where I purchased for a little over a year now.  I picked it up last week in preparation for setting up my initial alteration appointment.   I've been working out like a maniac for the past two years and my concern about my gown was the amount of alterations I would need as a result of my weight loss.

I tried the gown on over the weekend and I did not have to zip it up to get in it.  I literally stepped in the dress still zipped and pulled it up.  It dropped off of me!  There's nothing to hold it up.  YAY I guess but BOO too as that means a whole lot of alterations.  

I called the seamstress I plan to use and she said come in ASAP.  Her fear is that there may be too much alterations needed due to my weight loss and I had the nerve to tell her I am not done.  I still plan on losing another 10 lbs by the end of this month.  

Anyone else lose a lot of weight and are worried about their gown?  My seamstress says there is a possibility that my gown will be ruined if an excessiave amount of alterations is needed.   

I worked really hard to get where I am and I feel like I messed up somehow. :(

Love is the ultimate superpower.   
It can make you weak and strong simultaneously.  

Re: Weight Loss and The Dress. Uh-Oh!

• doubleSS07doubleSS07 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited April 2013
    I'm certainly no seamstress but I know when I ordered my dress they told me that they would take it in up to 3 sizes if necessary.  Generally for me a size is around 10lbs so I guess it would depend on how much you've lost.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_august-2013-weddings_weight-loss-and-the-dress-uh-oh?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:0c4df628-5c86-4382-8f99-5d75e3f57aa4Discussion:74942d5d-e84d-4752-b335-14556335f5a6Post:6aa6727c-a623-47c4-81df-5dd313f196b9">Re: Weight Loss and The Dress. Uh-Oh!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm certainly no seamstress but I know when I ordered my dress they told me that they would take it in up to 3 sizes if necessary.  Generally for me a size is around 10lbs so I guess it would depend on how much you've lost.
    Posted by doubleSS07[/QUOTE]

My total weight loss will be 40 lbs.   The saving grace I believe is that my gown has very simple lines (strapless, no beading) which is great for alterations.

• Well congrats on loosing all that weight! Hopefully everything goes well with your alterations :)
  • Congrats!! I wish I had that problem. I put my dress on the other day after almost a year, and I felt like the Hulk. I discovered I need to lose some weight before August. 
    Visit LasVegas.Weddings.com Wedding Countdown Ticker
    March siggy:THE DRESS
    photo practically_perfect_2_zpsb1ba38c6.jpg
  • Congratulations on the weight loss! I don't know where you got your dress from. I got mine from davids bridal. I believe they told me when I first ordered it they can take it in 2 or 3 sizes before it might start to look odd.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker August 2013 March Siggy Challenge: The Dress! Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Congrats on the weight loss!  I did WW a couple years ago and had the same issue with a BM dress for my friends wedding, which was in the middle of my weight loss.  If you have a good seamstress they may be able to help you.  Unfortunately I did not and my BM dress was falling down until I safety pinned it to my bra.

Good luck with the rest of your weight loss and I hope your seamstress can fix your dress!  
  • Thanks ladies! :)

• Congrats. to you on the weight loss! I was smaller when I originally ordered my dress than I was when my dress came in, so I had to re-order my dress in a bigger size. =( I wasn't that bummed actually, I knew that I was gaining weight, and the weight I was when I first ordered my dress was not typical for me.  Working 2 full time jobs (teaching/waitressing), taking 4 graduate classes and the stresses of life were literally making me SHED pounds, unwillingly.  Anyway, I am getting alterations done in May for my dress, and it will need to be taken in a little bit less than one full size. I'm happy I went up two sizes when I re-ordered, by chance that I kept gaining. I originally ordered a 4, then re-ordered in an 8. By the time alterations and stuff are done, I know that my dress will be perfect. I aimed for 1 dress alteration due to the cost. If I needed more, I would of course done what I needed to do.

• A friend of mine had her dress altered twice. A month before her wedding she had to have her gaul bladder removed. She had to get her dress taken in a couple of more inches literally two weeks before her wedding due to the diet she had to be on, leading up to her surgery. I felt so bad for her.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards