April 2013 Weddings

Anyone doing their own wedding albums - from where?

Our wedding photographer's package came with unlimited shots and a CD with all the printing rights.  We can order prints through the photographer if we want and she does offer albums but she did admit they're not her specialty.  (She's a PHENOMENAL photographer, so this didn't bother me at all.) 

Now I need to get parents' albums and a nice wedding album made somewhere.  Is anyone else doing their own?  What company are you using to do them?  I know at least one parent is expecting the traditional leather-covered album with actual photos in it, not the flush mount books that are more popular nowadays.  Any ideas?
Wedding Countdown Ticker
58 invited image | 17 love destination weddings image
20 can't make it image | 21 don't know what to do with a RSVP card image
RSVP Deadline: March 8th

Re: Anyone doing their own wedding albums - from where?

• I asked the photographer for two additional cds, and am giving them to our parents. That way they can get their own made. They can pick the pictures they like best, and still have all the pictures.
  • We're getting our own album from our photographers but for the 2 parents' albums I did them myself from Snapfish. I just ordered them yesterday actually, and it was a steal because they had a 50% off photo books coupon going (I think it's only for Snapfish UK though). I've ordered some prints from there as well to include in thank you cards.

If one set of parents just wants a nice traditional leather album with prints in it, that should be easy! I haven't bought an old-school album like that in years myself, but I do still see them often-- deparment stores should have reasonably nice ones.
  • I like shutterfly. They do a good job, but I don't think you can get the kind of hardcover you'd want. You can get hardcovers, but they are pretty simple.
    Anniversary
  • I agree with pp. I love shutterfly. They have hard lay flat pages that are amazing. I did this for my engagement pics and the album came out great!
  • I agree - I love the flat pages too.  But the one set of parents wants the leather bound album with actual photos to match my sister's wedding album that's on their coffee table (from ELEVEN YEARS AGO) and I don't know where to get it.  The cover is black leather with their names embossed in gold and a raised "frame" with their photo on the outside.  Inside, the pages are all also leather with rounded corners that have gold metal edges and pockets to slide in the photos.  Some are straight and some are at an angle. 

I don't even know where to begin to look for something like that, but they specifically said they don't want the "new type of book."  I offered to just give them the CD and they were offended, saying it was my job to give them an ALBUM, not a CD.  SMDH.  Whatever.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • If it's your job to give them an album AS A GIFT, then they should be happy with whatever type of album they get.
    Anniversary
  • We get one that looks like something from Shutterfly, and we are going to make one for each of our parents, from Shutterfly as well.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • tiny specktiny speck member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
    edited April 2013
    Well in that case, ChiGirl I think you should either ask your sister (? this is whose album they want replicated right?) or get your parents to ask her where you can find that specific album, if they really want the exact same thing. I doubt it will be possible though (and I'm sure you're thinking the same thing). Like, I bet you can find a nice leather album, and maybe even get it embossed, but I think it's ridiculous if they want literally the same thing... I don't know what else to say :(
  • Finding the same style of album from 11 years ago is going to be a challenge.  Styles have changed a lot but there are still some traditional albums out there.  Tap Albums or Top Flight Albums have some of the older styles still available.

The idea of going to your sister's photographer and asking if they can put together an album for you is a good start.  If they can't or aren't around anymore you can try other photographers in your area.  The only thing with that is expect to pay a lot for a photographer to put together your album.  Were not greedy evil swindlers - the albums you see coming from most professional photographers cost the photographer $300-700 just for the album materials! By the time you factor in the photographers time to expertly create a beautiful album, the contacts and meetings with you as the client to approve the design, the shipping and taxes and it can run you 2-4 times that initial album material cost.

I'm not a fan of SnapFish or Shutterfly, at least for something important like a wedding. Those are cheaply made thin press printed books. Most of the thick photo flush mount albums are made available to photographers only, though I hear there is a lab that will sell their albums outside of the professional photography world.  It's Bay Photo, I've never used them so I can't speak of their quality but I think they would be someplace to look into if you were going to try to DIY.  If you just want to do a Press Book like what Shutterfly or SnapFish offer, check out MPix.com - they are the consumer division of a very reputable pro lab.

February Siggy Challenge - Bridesmaid Dresses - April 2013 Board

No bridesmaids, just my flower girl

• I don't doubt that it costs a lot of money for a photographer to create a beautiful album, and I do believe in paying someone fairly.  However, we just can't afford $1,000 or more for a parent's album, especially when we have 4 of them to do, plus our own.  It took us 4.5 years to save up for a wedding for 22 guests and we had very little help from our families.  We just don't have the money for that type of album.  We paid for our own wedding 100% in cash so we wouldn't go into debt, and I'm not about to ruin that by going into debt for the parents' albums.

I will check out those other companies and see if I can find any reviews/BBB reports on them.  Thanks for the leads.  In the end, we will do what we can afford and if they don't like it, too bad.  They are welcome to use the CD we have to create whatever album they want at their own expense if they feel that the one we make them is too "cheap" or doesn't match my sister's album.  Hopefully, this will be the final time that I have to gently remind them that this wedding isn't/wasn't about them. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_april-2013-weddings_anyone-doing-their-own-wedding-albums-from-where?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:820178d7-4f43-4671-bcab-c5c2c01eef1eDiscussion:410a1929-852f-4249-9f1d-3d0d3d80d503Post:9517c5a7-2703-4778-b6da-b22f3811892d">Re: Anyone doing their own wedding albums - from where?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't doubt that it costs a lot of money for a photographer to create a beautiful album, and I do believe in paying someone fairly.  However, we just can't afford $1,000 or more for a parent's album, especially when we have 4 of them to do, plus our own.  It took us 4.5 years to save up for a wedding for 22 guests and we had very little help from our families.  We just don't have the money for that type of album.  We paid for our own wedding 100% in cash so we wouldn't go into debt, and I'm not about to ruin that by going into debt for the parents' albums. I will check out those other companies and see if I can find any reviews/BBB reports on them.  Thanks for the leads.  In the end, we will do what we can afford and if they don't like it, too bad.  They are welcome to use the CD we have to create whatever album they want at their own expense if they feel that the one we make them is too "cheap" or doesn't match my sister's album.  Hopefully, this will be the final time that I have to gently remind them that this wedding isn't/wasn't about them. 
    Posted by ChiGirl2013[/QUOTE]

I fully understand, espeically when its a parents album, paying hundreds of dollars isn't always feasible, heck it isn't always feasible when you are buying it for yourself!  Often times parent albums are done in a 6x6 size or 8x8 size which can really help on costs - rather than a 10x10, 11x14 or other large size done for brides and grooms.  I think its very kind of you to purchase them for your parents and I can't imagine them not loving whatever you get them. 
    February Siggy Challenge - Bridesmaid Dresses - April 2013 Board

No bridesmaids, just my flower girl

• Hi I stumbled across this thread. Just wanted to let you know that Adoramapix is a GREAT resource for doing your own albums that look professional. It is A LOT better in quality than Shutterfly and if you sign up for their emails every couple of months they have discount offers. as a matter of fact if you sign up now you might get a discount for mother's day. Designing is super easy with premade layouts that you can add and delete features as wanted and the best part is that you can place the pictures where ever you want. They offer regular hard cover books as well as leather covers as well. I believe that for an addtional $7 or so you could even have it delivered in a box for storing. Just wanted to let you know as it is MUCH cheaper than going with a photographer and the quality is better than most online sources like Shutterfly, mixbook, etc. Good Luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • joheryljoheryl member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    I also second adormapix.  My photographer recommended them and I made a boudoir album and was very happy with it.  I printed my first round of wedding pics from them and am waiting to see how they turn out.
  • Gee, thanks.  I guess after 10 years, you forgot you aren't allowed to advertise.  @KnotPorscha
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards