November 2014 Weddings

Should we have a ceremony?

So, I've been engaged for almost a year now to my amazing fiance. The reason we set our date to 2014 was to save money. well of course life happens as most of us know, but life is leaving us with little to no money to even think about having my "dream wedding". So, here is my question/thought/venting, should we even think about having a wedding or should we just have a reception and call it a day?

Re: Should we have a ceremony?

• Not having a ceremony is really not gonna save you that much money. We booked a ballroom and we're having our ceremony and reception in the same room, for which they charge $500 to flip the room. Other than the officiant fee/marriage license (which you'd probably have to pay anyway at the courthouse) we aren't paying for anything at the ceremony at all. All the decorations will be used again in the reception, etc.
  • I definitely wouldn't skip the ceremony...like the pp said, it's not going to save a lot of money. We're waiting until November 2015 so that we can save money. We've been engaged for about 2 months. Is that an option for you guys? An extra year might help. If not, the budget board on here has great suggestions of ways to cut costs so you can still have a beautiful wedding without going over budget!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • That's what our original idea was. We will have been engaged for a year in April.
    I think It is finally becoming real and it is hitting me that holy cow I have to plan a wedding. Haha. I've got champgne taste on a water budget. I definitely will have to look more into the budget wedding board.
  • You could always have a small ceremony on your desired date and then a year later or so have bigger celebration. I would look at the budget board and pinetrest for ideas if you just want one celebration.
  • The ceremony (whatever your religious or civil opinion is) is the MOST important part of your wedding day. I am most looking forward to the ceremony out of all the details of the day. If you are going to scrimp on anything, it should be the reception. The ceremony is the uniting of two to become one and a reception has no meaning without it.

Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards