Registry and Gift Forum

Bloomingdale's vs. Crate & Barrel - everyone is buying from C&B!

i was just updating our registries and a ton of stuff is gone from C&B and not a single thing has been bought from Bloomingdales! I'm wondering if this is bc of C&B shipping polities, or their websites, or bc it's easier to pick items up bc there are more stores (my shower is in 2 weeks). Interesting..... I hope people eventually make their way to Bloomie's bc that's where our nices home things are!

Re: Bloomingdale's vs. Crate & Barrel - everyone is buying from C&B!

• Some people just have their go-to-stores.   I would pick C&B over Bloomies simply because I buy from them and I never buy anything from Bloomingdales.   Not that there is one even where I live, but I really don't buy anything from Macy's, Bloomingdales and stores like that.   Couldn't tell you why I don't?

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Is your shower coming up? Usually I buy the less expensive, more practical items for the shower, and the more expensive/nicer items for the wedding. I'd be more inclined to buy from C&b honestly because I could buy you a lot more for my money. 
  • B2Z728B2Z728 member
    First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited March 2013
    I'd most likely buy from C&B over Bloomingdales because I could probably buy more things for the same amount of money. I don't think there's a proper way to direct people to Bloomingdale one unless someone might specifically ask you if you preferred certain items. I'd wait it out, you'll be surprised how much gets purchased from your registry in the two weeks leading up to your shower. Many people are last minute shoppers.
    Wedding Venue - Ramsey Golf & Country Club, NJ Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Photographer - Steve Belner, of Photovisions
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Check out my cooking blog, SERIF & SPICE!
    Our wedding has been featured on a wedding blog!

Michaela's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) Follow Me on Pinterest
  • This has been our experience with Macy's - probably 2/3 of our gifts have come from Macy's.  It's just where our folks like to shop.  I'm not complaining because we get 5% back there, but we do wish pottery barn would get a bit more traffic... but honestly it is what it is, and we have gotten some very lovely and amazing gifts.  We plan on using cash gifts to complete our pottery barn registry.

Honestly between those two I would pick CB in a heartbeat.  When I hear CB I think "reasonable."  When I hear Bloomingdales I think "expensive."  I've never really figured out why people register at Bloomingdales, unless you happened to pick a china pattern that isn't carried in other department stores.  If that's the case, however, bear in mind that usually those patterns are more expensive, and you probably won't get as much of it for that reason.  We registered for a Lenox pattern (Pearl Platinum), and we've gotten almost all of it - really just 2 serving pieces left, and Macy's is running a great deal this weekend so those might go as well.

If you get only a handful of pieces, you can return them or decide it's something you want to collect over time.  Or use cash gifts to complete your registry at Bloomingdales.

Also keep in mind OP that people can shop elsewhere.  We've had several items bought at a different store, presumably because the shoppers got a better deal or preferred that store over the ones we selected.  We have also received some items that were absolutely bought at the stores where we registered, but the giver forgot to tell the cashier to take it off our registry.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to Bloomingdale's vs. Crate & Barrel - everyone is buying from C&B!:
    [QUOTE]i was just updating our registries and a ton of stuff is gone from C&B and not a single thing has been bought from Bloomingdales! I'm wondering if this is bc of C&B shipping polities, or their websites, or bc it's easier to pick items up bc there are more stores (my shower is in 2 weeks). Interesting..... I hope people eventually make their way to Bloomie's bc that's where our nices home things are!
    Posted by TheBaysideBride[/QUOTE]

Probably because of price! 

• People might perceive Bloomingdales to be more expensive even if the same items are the same price.

We registered at Crate and Barrel and Pottery Barn originally, and did Bed Bath and Beyond as an afterthought. About 5x as many gifts were purchased at BB&B although I don't actually find things to be that much cheaper there if you are comparing apples to apples.
  • I really think it is more where your guests prefer to shop. My Macy's registry is getting way more traffic than my BBB registry, which I am truly shocked at, I had to move a lot of stuff over to Macy's.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards