Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions

How much should I charge to cantor and solo?

I am a professional musician (vocalist and guitar with a Master's degree in music) and have recently been asked to cantor at a Catholic wedding mass in Philadelphia this summer.  Part of the gig is singing 3 solos throughout the ceremony in addition to the cantoring duties. I believe that they want me to accompany myself for the solos and cantor with the church organist. I don't need to factor in travel expenses as I can just hop on the subway, but I will be spending time learning and rehearsing the pieces since they are not in my existing repertoire. 

I recently moved here and it's been a while since I've gigged in a city, so I'm not sure what I should charge. For weddings in small towns where I was only singing with an accompanist, I charged  $125-$150 depending on travel and rehearsal time. However, I think this should be closer to $200-$250 since I'm cantoring the full mass and learning the accompaniment to the solos.

Any other musicians or knowledgable individuals out there have any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Re: How much should I charge to cantor and solo?

• I am a professional musician (vocalist and guitar with a Master's degree in music) and have recently been asked to cantor at a Catholic wedding mass in Philadelphia this summer.  Part of the gig is singing 3 solos throughout the ceremony in addition to the cantoring duties. I believe that they want me to accompany myself for the solos and cantor with the church organist. I don't need to factor in travel expenses as I can just hop on the subway, but I will be spending time learning and rehearsing the pieces since they are not in my existing repertoire. 

I recently moved here and it's been a while since I've gigged in a city, so I'm not sure what I should charge. For weddings in small towns where I was only singing with an accompanist, I charged  $125-$150 depending on travel and rehearsal time. However, I think this should be closer to $200-$250 since I'm cantoring the full mass and learning the accompaniment to the solos.

Any other musicians or knowledgable individuals out there have any suggestions? Thanks in advance!
  • jcg98jcg98 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    I think a flat $250 for a full mass is a fair fee.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards