Wedding Reception Forum

sky lanterns

I want to have sky lanterns to set off for the end of the night. Anyone know any good sites for ordering these?

Re: sky lanterns

• Also, these are banned in some areas, so you need to check on that before ordering them.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • My husband liked the idea of doing those too until we read a note on one companies website that if you are within certain distance from an airport you shouldn't use them. We were too close. Also I was afraid is one of them came out of the sky still lite and caught something on fire.

I think they are good if you are doing say an ocean side release because you have a less chance of something going wrong, but then you have that litter going into the water which isn't good for the animals.

• I hate The Hangover 2 for making this seem like a good idea.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_sky-lanterns-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:a21e8417-d870-4e8c-8661-6cb7ca22f142Post:69f8e219-a791-49aa-ba37-709cb5d32432">Re: sky lanterns</a>:
    [QUOTE]I hate The Hangover 2 for making this seem like a good idea.
    Posted by NOLAbridealmost[/QUOTE]

<div>right there with you</div>

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I always think of that Disney movie "Tangled" now when someone mentions these.

That or "Deadliest Catch" when one of the crab boats played a prank on one of the others.

Honestly, I had never stopped to consider the litter part.  Not, mind you, that I was considering them...still...it's the little things people sometimes don't think about.
  • I think wish lanterns are really pretty, and they do make biodegradable, non-flammable ones. It sucks that they have been some movies, but honestly, what hasn't been in a movie or tv show? If you like them and your venue says they're okay, then go for it! I think they make for really pretty pictures and can be a fun way to end the reception. My FI and I will do them if they still fit in the budget as we get closer to our wedding. We plan to have markers for our guests to write their wishes for us on the paper lantern and then release them off the dock. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards